• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I wish I could play the piano like that with one hand, whilst controlling a loco with the other hand... :D

Very nice Captain, well worth the time and effort.

Al.

I wish I could play the piano.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For the sake of completeness, here are the links to the four video sequences I put up, in connection with the Taunton Virtual Members Day on Sunday last.

1) 1458 shunting the yard at Capel Bethesda

14XXs were typically used on most of the local goods services in the late 1950s and early 1960s on the real life Kington and Presteigne goods workings. They were normally based at Hereford shed, but often out-stabled at Leominster. 1420 (now preserved on the South Devon Railway) and 1458 were two of the regular locos.

This sequence shows 1458 (non-top feed fitted by this time) arriving with a local goods working and shunting the yard. The model is that featured a while back in some of my blog entries - a Hattons & DJM body on a Perseverence chassis. I built the replacement chassis because I couldn't get any example of the DJM models that came my way to run satisfactorily.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

2) Local goods working arrives with traffic for the Vale of Radnor Light Railway, which is shunted in the yard by the VoRLR loco (ex-LNER J72) and the BR loco (57XX pannier).

Although 57XX and 8750 panniers tended not to be used on the real life Kington and Presteigne goods, in my reality the railway geography was changed, with a longer run to Capel Bethesda (and formerly to Rhayader), so I have assumed that such locos were sometimes rostered.

The pannier is an old Mainline body, running on a Perseverance chassis. The replacement chassis was provided many years ago now, in response to the old Mainline split chassis finally failing irretrievably.

The light railway J72 is also an old Mainline body, which I re-painted many years ago and kept in a box, on it's non-working original split chassis. Once construction of 'Bethesda Sidings' was underway, however, I built a Perseverance chassis for it.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

3) Diesels at Bethesda Sidings

This sequence assumes that the line survived a bit longer than my supposed closure date of 1965, long enough to see diesels replace steam traction on both the BR line and the light railway.

Again, the sequence shows a BR goods service arriving behind a Class 14 loco and the light railway's 'Planet' diesel helping with the shunting and departing back to the light railway with a short van train for the military stores depot at Llanddewi.

The Class 14 then returns light engine to Leominster and Hereford, the 'Planet' having taken the BR brake van with it.

The Class 14 is a Constructeon kit, built by Mark Clark several years ago. The 'Planet' is the Roxey kit, built by myself for this layout and featured in some of my recent blog posts on here.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

4) Military train shunting sequence

In the rather long and verbose supposed 'history' of the line at the beginning of this thread, I mentioned that the section west of Capel Bethesda, to the junction with the Central Wales line at Gunstone West Junction, had been retained in a semi-mothballed state, for the occasional military special from West Wales to the depot at the top of the Vale of Radnor Light Railway at Llanddewi.

In this sequence, a 3F from the Midland shed at Swansea has arrived with a train conveying military vehicles for the stores at Llanddewi. The train is too long to run-round, so the military loco (an Austerity 0-6-0ST) shunt-releases the train and then proceeds to re-form the train, for the journey on the light railway. The 3F then departs 'engine and van' back to it's home depot.

The last part of this sequence should have shown the Austerity taking the military vehicles away, but I well and truly c*cked that part of the video up, pressing 'record' when I should have been paused and vice versa. In the interests of the fragile health of my exhibition team, I have deleted scenes showing my hand descending from the sky and fumbling with a coupling hook!

The 3F is a London Road Models etched kit, modified to represent one of the Somerset & Dorset 3Fs, for use on my other OO layout 'Bleakhouse Road', so isn't really correct for this particular use.

The Austerity saddle tank features an original Dapol RTR body with added detail, on a Perseverence chassis.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The above sequence with the military train was originally rostered to a Stanier 2-6-4T, which should have been available at Swansea shed.

However, it was found too late to be stabled right at the back of the shed, so the shedmaster decided to roster a BR Standard Class 3 2-6-2T to the duty.

Unfortunately, the 2-6-2T failed on shed, with pick up problems, so was transferred to the maintenance shed for attention and the 3F took it's place.

Following extensive overhaul of the pick ups yesterday, 82044 was again returned to traffic and ended up making what must have clearly been a very long test run to Capel Bethesda yard:

20200427_200447.jpg.c24918846e4aae84b650e34596952bcb.jpg

20200427_200516.jpg.3c7a36e4e71166dd5500db4566a71915.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

One final thing with the four video sequences - the first one I actually filmed was that with the pannier and the J72. This was filmed using my original digital camera, purely because it had the right attachment to mount on my aged tripod.

Unfortunately, it couldn't cope with some of the close ups very well and I also wasn't able to edit (or pause?) the video 'in camera', so I ended up with over 30 individual small sequences, which Andy Y most kindly stitched together and added the sound track.

For the remaining sequences, inspired by Heath Robinson, I lashed the following up using my phone, thus allowing sharper images and the ability to pause 'in camera':

IMG_9604.jpg.30b4fc6f81e50ffee68ba5a280ade3e4.jpg

The above arrangement is likely to be patented. Copy it at your peril.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

One final thing with the four video sequences - the first one I actually filmed was that with the pannier and the J72. This was filmed using my original digital camera, purely because it had the right attachment to mount on my aged tripod.

Unfortunately, it couldn't cope with some of the close ups very well and I also wasn't able to edit (or pause?) the video 'in camera', so I ended up with over 30 individual small sequences, which Andy Y most kindly stitched together and added the sound track.

For the remaining sequences, inspired by Heath Robinson, I lashed the following up using my phone, thus allowing sharper images and the ability to pause 'in camera':

Gonna copy it anyway... I've been using a tablet mount clamped to a tripod leg then resting on top, it works to a point but not great.

IMGP1954.JPG.67684619cc2fb91733f9b46e8c3c55e4.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I opted for a skateboard. A bit more 'right on' 

Rob. 

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

Masking tape and cardboard.

It will be cool. One day.

Worked for Blue Peter........

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I opted for a skateboard. A bit more 'right on' 

Rob. 

I was wondering, was thinking roller skates though.

Well, if the Captain hasn't got his patent in...

IMGP1956.JPG.1f6d60fcbe8d0c51455758727a8f40b8.JPG

IMGP1958.JPG.fa4506bb30b86b58ed5c0104cb71a374.JPG

IMGP1959.JPG.175e993b4fd0ca432b625984f2b5ff67.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

This could form a thread in its own right......

Groovy Gizmos. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 19/04/2020 at 22:05, Worsdell forever said:

I wish I could play the piano.

I wish you could as well.  I wish I could control a loco.

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Worked for Blue Peter........

And Bluebottle, before the rotten swines deaded him...

27 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Just don't feed one after midnight.:D

But they are fun in a microwave.  Briefly.

Ok nurse, I'll take the nice pills and get ready for my restraint now.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

I was wondering, was thinking roller skates though.

Well, if the Captain hasn't got his patent in...

I wish I was clever like you!

I also wish I'd got that patent application in!

I like that a lot.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I have to say, the camera stand I bought for my phone (iPhone 8 Plus) has been invaluable of late. It is ideal for video calls as you don't need to hold it, or work out a precarious balancing system! Only a few quid from Amazon. 

IMG_4475.jpg.645118da3121e9ee9ec44d5b4cfaac53.jpg

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2