Focalplane

Two photos from 2012:

First, Étang de Leucate, with snow capped Pyrenees in the distance.  The village is Fitou.  The wind was blowing at 110 kph, shifting the ice as the étang froze.

post-20733-0-11541600-1511452571_thumb.jpg

Next, the beach at Leucate with sea-ice forming on rocks.

post-20733-0-24146600-1511452714_thumb.jpg

This has nothing to do with model trains, except for the unexpected temperature variations on the Mediterranean coast that can affect track laying!  I often show these photos to summer visitors who are thinking of buying their "place in the sun".  It is one reason why I probably will not have a garden layout in the future, much as I would like to have one!

Stop Press!

We have just had an offer accepted on a village house with three floors including a 7m x 4.5m room that is currently a home cinema but can be easily modified into a home for a non-linear Penmaenpool!  I now need to find out the minimum radii for all my locomotives.

Of course, I just could scrap Penmaenpool and go for a different layout.  Too much influence from the likes of Coachmann and Andy P, perhaps?

More to follow.

• Like 4

Stop Press!

We have just had an offer accepted on a village house with three floors including a 7m x 4.5m room that is currently a home cinema but can be easily modified into a home for a non-linear Penmaenpool!  I now need to find out the minimum radii for all my locomotives.

Of course, I just could scrap Penmaenpool and go for a different layout.  Too much influence from the likes of Coachmann and Andy P, perhaps?

More to follow.

Which Country is that in Paul? And I don't mean Penmaenpool, hahha.

It still looks a darn sight nicer than Rhyl beach!

The only white stuff you get on the beach in Rhyl is the scum off the top of the brown water!!!!

Actually they have been improving Rhyl beach, the harbour and the promenade quite a bit lately.

Hopefully it will improve the area.

Jinty ;)

The new house has an ideal space for a Gauge O layout but it is not ideal for a linear project like Penmaenpool. So before I lay any more track I am going to rethink the design of the layout. I may even change the theme to a terminus and fiddle yard - Pwllheli being one choice but that is also a strung out station/yard/shed complex. First thought is to bend the Penmaenpool plan to go round 6ft radius corners. Though, of course, the corners really should be 1.8m radius!

Or, should I go for a fictional "Rule 1" design?

Incidentally, the room, having been designed as a home cinema, has sound proof acoustic wall coverings with no echo.  How is that going to affect DCC sound?  Though it will also prevent the neighbours from wondering what on earth is going on next door!

• Like 3

The new house has an ideal space for a Gauge O layout but it is not ideal for a linear project like Penmaenpool. So before I lay any more track I am going to rethink the design of the layout. I may even change the theme to a terminus and fiddle yard - Pwllheli being one choice but that is also a strung out station/yard/shed complex. First thought is to bend the Penmaenpool plan to go round 6ft radius corners. Though, of course, the corners really should be 1.8m radius!

Or, should I go for a fictional "Rule 1" design?

Incidentally, the room, having been designed as a home cinema, has sound proof acoustic wall coverings with no echo.  How is that going to affect DCC sound?  Though it will also prevent the neighbours from wondering what on earth is going on next door!

Sounds good Paul, I would think the acoustic walling will help the Sound. 

Thanks Andy, I think you may be right about the sound.  We shall see.

Meanwhile I spent the evening using Illustrator to see how Penmaenpool (the prototype) might fit in.  With an oval and minimum radii of 1.8m I can make a continuous circuit with half the room scenic, the other half dedicated to work benches, etc.  I have the idea of storing the fiddle loops underneath the scenic part of the layout, using double inclines from points each side of the doorway (in the non-scenic side of the room.  The inclines would have to lower trains about 30cm over a length of 6m which means an incline of 1:20.  As my trains will not be particularly long or heavy (loco plus 4 coaches) this should be reasonable.  So trains would leave either end of the station and drop 15 cm to the points either side of the doorway hinged bridge.  Then continue to circle or be switched down a second drop of 15cm into the hidden storage area.  The inclines should also provide some interesting DCC sounds, working hard and/or coasting.

Access to the storage area will be restricted but I think only about four loops will be required - two express passenger, one pickup goods and one local passenger.  In fact the loops could easily store two trains each so maybe only three loops would be required.  This would satisfy the probable roster of 6 steam locomotives.

The effect of this design should be quite stunning as the entire scenic area will be a panorama of Cader Idris, viewed from the doorway.  Needless to say I will ignore Larry's comments about Welsh weather and have the mountain visible in all its sunny glory.

Post Script - as I was finishing up the Illustrator plan the damned software crashed and the file was lost.  I really don't like Adobe!

Paul

At the end of the day, don't rush into anything!!

I've recently moved into a new (old) house with loads of potential but was advised to live in it for several months before making plans. This has already paid dividends as we have changed our minds in several things so far. The only thing that hasn't changed is the 27' long workshop is MINE!!!!

Regards, Deano.

Edit for spelling!

Edited by Deano747
  • Like 5

Advice please!

How do I change the title of this topic?  Penmaenpool is no longer going to be a modular layout as it will now be built into the room using L girders - see post #30.

I can't find any instructions on doing this.

Paul

PS  The modules will still be used as I will eventually re-instate OO gauge Shipston-on-Stour now I have the room.  It will be all RTR with Kadees!

Edited by Focalplane

Finding a house that ticks all the boxes is quite remarkable.  It has opened a floodgate of new ideas that were impossible last week.  I think it is just as well that I had already built the engine shed for Penmaenpool as this is acting as an anchor, holding the concept firmly on centre stage.

One thing my research has turned up is the lack of good terminus projects in North Wales (Cambrian).  Apart from the minor branch lines around Oswestry and Welshpool, the only significant termini are Pwllheli and Aberystwyth.  So a through station it is and it may as well be Penmaenpool.

Paul

• Like 1

I built two termini; Delph and then Ellesmere North. Both turned out to be boring.  Reason?  There will be days when it is pleasant to just sit back and let things roll without having to handle the controller. There are stations with a bay platform for terminating trains, which give the bets of both worlds. The B&R Video 'Four Ways to Brecon', for instance, shows some interesting workings with trains terminating from several directions. 

With your space, you will probably want something more interesting operationally than a small station that will allow for the future expansion should it be found desirable. Ellesmere in 0 gauge offers Whitchurch-Oswestry services, through services to Barmouth (using LMS coaches), as well as the terminating service from Wrexham. There is plenty of scope for Panniers, Dean Goods, Manors, 2251 Goods, Ivatt Class 2 Moguls, while your LMS Jinty or Dobbin could be on a through freight from Whitchurch (LNWR) to Oswestry. There is no reason why the forthcoming Large Prairie could not be used.  So why didn't i build it?  Like you, I have a reluctance to making large station buildings....  :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann

Also, simple is good as long as there is some operational interest. The light engine movements to and from the shed add interest as does the delivery of coal and removal of ash. I won't start building now until 2018 and even then the planning will be the only real signs of activity. If I made too complex a plan I might run the risk of never completing it.

So planning and building stock will take over for the time being.

It also looks as though I will miss Bristol, so Kettering will be the next show.

Today we met with the Notaire and signed all the papers to start the process of buying the house with the future railway room.  We should be able to have the keys by the middle of January and then there will be the usual hiatus while our furniture and effects are moved across the village.  The railway room is currently a very nice home cinema as the attached photo illustrates.  It is almost a shame to desecrate the design but this is a dream coming true for us so the cinema will indeed be closed down.

post-20733-0-23740400-1511990636_thumb.jpg

So far I have one obstacle - the door(s) open inwards.  They will have to be re-hung.  Also the lighting is very subdued and the ceiling lights will have to be exchanged.  Other than that, the room is sound-proofed and air-conditioned.

I really don't see anything much happening on the modelling side for the present.  I have already started to pack up everything.  So don't expect any progress until the end of January.

Like Andy P I have received an order but the delivery was attempted while we were out so I have to go to the post office tomorrow.  It's a Dapol/Lionheart auto coach with lights and DCC socket.  Good company for 1459.

And I will be monitoring the usual sites to make sure that everyone else is doing their bit.

Season's Greetings/Happy Holidays/Bonnes Fetes - Paul

• Like 5

Like Andy P I have received an order but the delivery was attempted while we were out so I have to go to the post office tomorrow.  It's a Dapol/Lionheart auto coach with lights and DCC socket.  Good company for 1459.

I presume you bought the BR one described on Tower Models as maroon.  I am no authority on auto trailers, but I suspect these panelled trailers were withdrawn in the mid 1950's carrying either carmine & cream or plain carmine. Any GWR auto coach experts around ?

I presume you bought the BR one described on Tower Models as maroon.  I am no authority on auto trailers, but I suspect these panelled trailers were withdrawn in the mid 1950's carrying either carmine & cream or plain carmine. Any GWR auto coach experts around ?

It will be maroon, apparently, though I had expected it to be carmine.  I believe the carmine/cream version was not an option in this batch.

I am not too worried about it being early 1950s, it is the nearest RTR auto coach available to match the 14XX.  They will make a nice display model which can also be run on Penmaenpool.  All part of my nostalgia trip back to Oswestry and the Gobowen Rattler!

• Like 1

Guest Q663389

From what I have read, but I do not know where, 1957 seems to have been the last year these coaches were used in revenue earning service. I always wondered why they reissued this in maroon. Proberbly because the 64xx is released in BR lined green with late crest. Then again, BR painted the signal box at my local station. It was demolished shortly after.

I picked up the autocoach from the post office this morning.  It is a nice looking model:

post-20733-0-28305700-1512046294_thumb.jpg

post-20733-0-68631600-1512046330_thumb.jpg

However, when trying out the lighting I got a short.  It would appear the bogies are not in electrical sync as only one bogie lights the coach but both cause the controller to cut out.  The lights also have a slight buzz unlike the B Set coaches which don't.  This is disappointing as I had a problem with the light strip on one of the B Set coaches.  I will have to contact Dapol.

As to the coach's livery, there is evidence that carmine and cream would have been correct, though even this is circumspect as the photo on Flickr has been colourized.  The photo even has 1459 in it!

• Like 2

After much blue language I sorted out the short this afternoon.  It would have been useful if Dapol had included a detailed breakdown of the parts as I undid far more than I needed to and then had to put it all back together again.  In the process some of the bogie detail got damaged but it will easily be fixed.