Focalplane

Paul

responding to your post 244, Clive's advice seems sound, I'm not a fan of juicers, as whilst they clearly work, and save a little time, they seem an expense that is unnecessary - the tortoises will provide switching for free, and should it fail, you can swap to the other switch or add a diode-controlled relay for much less than the cost of a juicer.

Clive makes an interesting point about setting both roads to "X" rather than one "I" and one "/" or vice versa.  Of course, if you have conflicting train movements, anything other than "I I" will cause, or at least, permit, a crash, setting both roads to "X" would pose some conflicting frog voltages.  Some other means of preventing a crash (such as not driving two locomotives towards the scissors, or preventing this from being set up) is perhaps to be considered

best

Simon

Simon

My initial plan is to control the two crossovers with one lever on each. The levers will be separate from the main signal box control and will have some sort of mechanical “reminder” not to pull both crossovers. Maybe a physical token style lock that has to be changed?

Paul

Some winter sunshine photos taken this morning. It was bitterly cold with a strong SW wind blowing ip the estuary.

First the station building, now converted to an annexe for the hotel

post-20733-0-73316800-1518711128_thumb.jpeg

post-20733-0-47572600-1518711188_thumb.jpeg

post-20733-0-10844500-1518711229_thumb.jpeg

post-20733-0-96839000-1518711261_thumb.jpeg

Next, the sea wall adjacent to the track, at high tide

post-20733-0-20623800-1518711358_thumb.jpeg

post-20733-0-96769500-1518711426_thumb.jpeg

post-20733-0-40049800-1518711518_thumb.jpeg

The cutting on the west side of the layout has more rocky outcrops than can be seen in summer. The trees all post date line closure

post-20733-0-33765700-1518711623_thumb.jpeg

The L Girder plan will really help here, the hidden loop will be under the southern side of the cutting

post-20733-0-88919200-1518711732_thumb.jpeg

More to come

Paul

• Like 8

Paul,

I think something electrical to interrupt the track supply (possibly interlocked with the lifting flap) might be a good plan. It wouldn’t be too challenging to set up four relays that are only energised if a valid route is set, and the flap is locked.

Love the photos!

Best

Simon

Last time I went off trail I slipped in the estuarine mud and that kinda ruined my day. So this time I keot away from the mud to try to establish a possible back scene

post-20733-0-48716100-1518726444_thumb.jpeg

Sadly there is no way Cader Idris can possibly figure on the back scene. You would have to model Barmouth Junction to have such a spectacular scene.

Next, the toll bridge. I spent a good half hour chatting to the toll keeper who has been there for over 20 years. The toll keepers house is now a vacation cottage while the toll keeper’s office is relatively new, ceratinly post 1960.

post-20733-0-25102900-1518726614_thumb.jpeg

post-20733-0-72505200-1518726761_thumb.jpeg

post-20733-0-14422100-1518726796_thumb.jpeg

post-20733-0-46748100-1518726833_thumb.jpeg

post-20733-0-04437700-1518726875_thumb.jpeg

I then went to the site of Barmouth Junction. There is very little left, just some evidence of the old platforms. All the station buildings have gone, replaced by a bus shelter at the “flag stop” platform. I followed the Mawddach Trail to the southern end of Barmouth Bridge and met an Arriva train bound for Birmingham International

post-20733-0-81259700-1518727073_thumb.jpeg

I know some of the portrait photos are on their side. I am told that this is a problem with RMWeb, not the iPhone.

Paul

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 6

Walking around Penmaenpool and Barmouth Junction yesterday was an opportunity to soak up the history of trains in the area.  Seeing the 2 car DMU crossing Barmouth Bridge brought back memories of riding the Pwllheli portion of the Cambrian Coast Express in the late 1950s.  Corridor stock, restaurant car, steam locomotives apart, the views were the same as today (almost) but the line has been reduced to one single track from Dovey Junction to Pwllheli  with no branches (though a few passing places do add interest).  Barmouth Junction has basically disappeared except for a few stone and brick platform supports that reminded me of all that is left of the station at Stratford Old Town on the S&MJR.  Strange how these odd bits are left to posterity when it is clear that British Railways really wanted to destroy the lot and sell off the land.

It is really quite amazing that the Cambrian Coast lines did survive.  In all honesty the modern bus service around mid Wales is more comprehensive than anyone would have thought possible twenty years ago.  Though there have been some cut backs effective this year.  The motor car still rules the day and it was interesting to stand beside the toll keeper at Penmaenpool Bridge and observe the general public passing through.  One car went over the bridge three times "because they forgot the dog's leash"!

Barmouth Junction reminded me that, even though it has almost disappeared, anyone modelling it as it was would be missing a lot using only old photographs.  The cold south west wind, the emptiness of the salt marshes, the wild views of Cader Idris and the Rhinogs all provide a sense of "being there" in older times.  The challenge will be to transfer some of those feelings to a dark room in a French maison de ville!

Paul

• Like 6

A week before leaving for France, with no rugby, my wife sick but watching the winter olympics, I decided to load up the car with the priority items, which include a lot of tools, the aforementioned timber and the 7mm scale track items.  So far so good, and still room for a few extras.  If you sense some frustration about getting back to France you are right.  I had to deal with some "county types" while buying three carrots, two onions and three tomatoes at a local farm shop - they were there for the weekend "lambing adventure", ironically I was there to buy vegetables to flavour two lamb shanks I had bought in Wales.  Just in the shire of Warwick (my birthplace) I was appalled at the attitude of wealthy expensive car owners who saw me as the local yokel and treated me as such.  But then I am a local yokel, albeit with a Ph.D.

Vive la republique!

Paul

• Like 3

This morning I received an email from Scalescenes, purveyor of print your own building kits.  Although for OO and N Gauge scales, it is possible to enlarge the 4mm scale prints to 7mm scale by printing at 175%.  I did this for the roof tiles on the engine shed.

Their latest offering consists of various sheets of print your own station signs.  In the case of Penmaenpool in the late 1950s the signs are a mix of GWR and BR(W) origin.  A surprising number of photos manage to exclude the various station signs but there are enough photos available that do indicate the position of most of the signs and the wording thereon.  Colour photos, a few of which are available for the time period, will help to identify which sheet should be used, GWR or BR(W).

The GWR sheet includes several posters but these are not included on the BR sheet.  However, it may be reasonable to assume that some posters and enamel advertisements remained in place long after nationalization.

I have tried them out and they work nicely.  However, it is going to difficult to replicate some of the actual signs which direct passengers to the Up and Down platforms.  For these I may have to fall back on Illustrator.

Paul

• Like 2

I just tried to print from Adobe Reader and guess what!  I can't change the scale to 175%.  Adobe strikes again.  So I took a screen grab at 175% and printed that at 100% using Mac's Preview.  I now need to check that the scaling is right.  Nothing is ever as easy as it should be.

Paul

I just tried to print from Adobe Reader and guess what!  I can't change the scale to 175%.  Adobe strikes again.  So I took a screen grab at 175% and printed that at 100% using Mac's Preview.  I now need to check that the scaling is right.  Nothing is ever as easy as it should be.

Paul

You have to set the page scaling type to tiled, then the % box appears

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/scale-or-resize-printed-pages.html

Not sure if you've seen but Scalescenes also maintain a reference list for enlargement/reduction values for non-supported scales at

https://scalescenes.com/not-modelling-in-n-or-oo/

Hope this helps

Sadly, many inkjet inks are not archival, although they stand a better chance of surviving a couple of years when printed on best quality glossy printing papers and kept away from direct light. Now I'm working in 7mm scale, I would prefer etched signs for running in boards, signalbox nameboards, wall mounted Gentleman signs and waiting room door signs.....If anyone knows of a producer. 

Sadly, many inkjet inks are not archival, although they stand a better chance of surviving a couple of years when printed on best quality glossy printing papers and kept away from direct light. Now I'm working in 7mm scale, I would prefer etched signs for running in boards, signalbox nameboards, wall mounted Gentleman signs and waiting room door signs.....If anyone knows of a producer. 

I have framed prints using Epson inks (of the day) which were made in 1999.  The prints have been exposed to light for most of the time yet I can see no loss of colour or vibrancy.  The paper used was indeed best quality Epson or Ilford Glass using the highest quality settings.  The printer used is long gone and to be honest I don't get such good print results with the latest printers and the latest inks.  A lot more print head cleaning is required.

I agree that in 7mm scale the etched plates would look much much better but as an interim I think the printed signs will be fine.

Now I realize that my railway room will be ideal in that it was a home cinema with no windows and very, very dark.  The prints could last for ever!

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Coachman,

Next time you call ask to see the Station signs and signal box nameboard that I've had done by Narrow Planet.

Excellent quality and price, a bit of a wait but etches are crisp and well finished, and each one is custom made.

Good things are worth waiting for.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

You have to set the page scaling type to tiled, then the % box appears

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/scale-or-resize-printed-pages.html

Not sure if you've seen but Scalescenes also maintain a reference list for enlargement/reduction values for non-supported scales at

https://scalescenes.com/not-modelling-in-n-or-oo/

Hope this helps

I can't get it to work with Adobe Reader 9, Adobe says that scaling is not possible.  I always use Apple's Preview equivalent which works fine with all other Scalescene's files but as this file can be customized I have to use an Adobe product.

Looks like Illustrator may come to the rescue though my version (pre-retirement CS5) is far from user friendly on an occasional use basis.

Paul

I make prints to scale using Photoshop.  Re inkjet inks, I use compatibles and thereby may lie a clue as to lack of archivality (new word?). The photos on my wall have to be renewed every 3 years.

Narrow Planet may indeed be the way forward. I forgot about this company even though they are currently making me some loco plates.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Very sad news for Gauge O modellers - Just Like The Real Thing is closing down.  I had certainly looked into reserving their upcoming Dukedog model with ?3D printed body, but recent news that David Andrews is releasing a few of his kits this summer had me thinking again.  Other JLTRT locomotives on Mid-Wales lines in the 1950s would include the Manor and Mogul but I have these covered as well.  Their coaches will be missed by many mid-Wales modellers but there are alternatives both in kit and RTR form.  This is a big hole in the Gauge O world.

Paul

We all change course....It is just that when Pete changes course, he does it big style. Good luck to him.

In my working life I worked for several very wealthy people. To do so is risky business sometimes as they do tend to see and tell it like it needs to be seen and told. Wealthy people get wealthy either by being clever and lucky or by being ruthless. I put PW in the former category. He needed to make a difficult decision.

Paul