Focalplane

Chris

I apologize, I really could have sent you the link, but we have been under the weather this past week and short of brainpower.

I have struck up a good rapport with David by phone and email and have yet to met him in person, but he is personable and listens to his customers as to their needs and wants.  Note that he does carry the odd kit in stock as well, so it's always worth contacting him.  He will also give up to date advice on which motors and gearboxes, wheels, etc. you will need.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Chris

I apologize, I really could have sent you the link, but we have been under the weather this past week and short of brainpower.

I have struck up a good rapport with David by phone and email and have yet to met him in person, but he is personable and listens to his customers as to their needs and wants.  Note that he does carry the odd kit in stock as well, so it's always worth contacting him.  He will also give up to date advice on which motors and gearboxes, wheels, etc. you will need.

Paul

Sorry to hear you are unwell Paul. Following the advice above I gave him a call, had a chat, emailed an order through to him. Looks like the window for getting one of these is just about shut, so glad I saw mention on here.

Back in France with lots of sunshine until this morning, so I have now spent some time in the railway room (which as it has no windows is a good place to be).  No snow but Montpellier is suffering apparently.

The railway room has been a repository for all sorts of junk and packing materials, plus I can't find anything in the many railway boxes.  Well, anything I am actually looking for.

The first priority is to buy several power tools to upgrade my workshop (I haven't had a workshop since leaving Texas in 2003, when I gave away several Sears Craftsman power tools).  Then I can start to make the L-Girder framework and the L-Girders.

Today I set up my test track and ran the Jinty for the first time in a few months.  The sound-proofing (or is it sound-absorbing) in the ex-home cinema means that the DCC sound is muted and definitely not rebounding from the walls.  I am hoping this will mean that the sound of trains will appear to move across the layout, along with the trains.

Photo to follow!

Paul

• Like 4

Yesterday the wind blew hard and overnight the rain blew in with it.  A huge storm not far away (east of Toulouse) with lots of lightning showing up on France Meteo's maps.  Presumably part of Ella, we are in the zone where east meets west and things get interesting.  But no snow, just coastal flooding and wind damage to contend with.

The best place when the weather is like this is to be in a room with no windows and I have been busy clearing up the railway room as well as the workshop side of the garage.  Yesterday I did venture out to Leroy Merlin and spent some hard earned cash on a table saw, drill press and new zig saw.  The help and advice I received from Monsieur Tool Guy at Leroy Merlin resulted in me buying a British table saw, the Evolution Rage 5S.  The on line reviews are excellent and it is great to see a British* product being recommended in France!  It took me 2 hours to assemble the table saw which is par for the course apparently.  My training at the house of IKEA helped a lot.  The big plus with the Evolution Saws is their blade which cuts wood, aluminium, mild steel and plastics.  Not having to change the blade is a huge advantage in our particular hobby.

The drill press is German and a bit crude by comparison but at an excellent price.  I had not heard of Sheppach before but it has a ten year guarantee.  The Bosch model next to it in the store looked much more up to date, electronic, etc., but nowhere near as robust.

So, the tools are set up, but so far very little timber to work with for the layout structure.  Fair weather is coming, they say, so I may go and buy some 3" x 1" nominal for the L-Girders.  I do have some good quality plywood in house which I plan to rip into 8 cm wide strips for the diagonal bracing to the leg supports.  That I can work on later in the day.

Paul

* The company is British (based in Sheffield) and the design is certainly British but I don't know if the actual parts have been fabricated in Britain.

• Like 5

At last.

Progress.

Three supports built today ising the new table saw (which is very very nice). The first one has been fixed to the floor and is temporarily held in place while I go and buy the timber for the L-Girders tomorrow. The supports will be 1.2 meters apart while the cross pieces will be 1 meter front to back, placed wherever needed, onto the L-Girders.

I plan to document the build in some detail as I am not sure how common this technique is in the UK.

post-20733-0-41725000-1520015122_thumb.jpeg

Paul

• Like 5

So that's the first of how many sets of Legs Paul?

Andy, six along each long side, three on each end. I think. The first one took a while but the rest won’t take too long. The beauty of the system is that the base units are easily re-used should I decide to do so. But first, I need to finish what I have started!

Paul

• Like 2

First of the L-Girders:

post-20733-0-58511300-1520110697_thumb.jpg

Close up:

post-20733-0-83190600-1520110731_thumb.jpg

Here is my "yard stick" showing the three levels plus "datum".  The latter is actually the level in the doorway where the scissor crossing will go.  The scenic layer goes in last, for obvious reasons!

post-20733-0-30559900-1520110834_thumb.jpg

So, as you can see (I hope) the framework has little to do with the ultimate layout.  Hopefully all will come clear as the build progresses.

Paul

Edit to add that the second and third photos need to be rotated 90º.  Why RMWeb cannot do this automatically I know not but Dailfly, if he is around, will explain.

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 4

Edit to add that the second and third photos need to be rotated 90º.  Why RMWeb cannot do this automatically I know not but Dailfly, if he is around, will explain.

Daifly(sp) won't get involved with long explanations other than to say I suspect that you used an iPad or iPhone to take the photos and uploaded direct from the device. If you use an iDevice to take photos the rule is that the home button should be at the bottom for portrait photos and at the right for landscapes. It is likely that the forum software can't determine what YOU know is the top of your photo and therefore it's YOUR job to upload photos in the correct orientation. 

Meanwhile, to avoid a pain in the neck, here are your correctly orientated photos!

post-5366-0-96108300-1520150279.jpg

post-5366-0-78124900-1520150317.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

Daifly(sp) won't get involved with long explanations other than to say I suspect that you used an iPad or iPhone to take the photos and uploaded direct from the device. If you use an iDevice to take photos the rule is that the home button should be at the bottom for portrait photos and at the right for landscapes. It is likely that the forum software can't determine what YOU know is the top of your photo and therefore it's YOUR job to upload photos in the correct orientation. 

Meanwhile, to avoid a pain in the neck, here are your correctly orientated photos!

Dave

Dave

First apologies for the typo, I know it pains because I am often an Aston.

But thank you for the simple explanation concerning the position of the Home button on my iPhone when taking photos.

Paul

• Like 1

I spent this afternoon researching timber options and gave up.  I am back on trying to resolve the railway room lighting and have found LED strip lights that will do the job.  So a change in emphasis until Leroy Merlin restock their timber.  I am also getting some heat for ignoring other pressing priorities!

I did run the Ivatt Mogul this evening, though, and it sounds great in the railways room.

Paul

• Like 1

Due to a continuing lack of quality timber for the L-Girders I have been concentrating on the lighting and have now taken on an important job in the workshop - erecting a wall to separate the workshop area of the rest of the garage,  This latter project takes me back to remodelling a house in Houston 30 plus years ago.  The problem is that while I haven't forgotten the skills, I don't know all the French words.  Sheetrock and "mud" are not in the French language, though I bet there are slangs words for plaster.  Come to think of it, sheetrock won't get you far in a British builders merchants either!

The railway room lighting has taken a back seat for another reason - I fell off the step ladder the other evening.  Nothing damaged, just my ego.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

At last, progress!

post-20733-0-03034200-1521751328_thumb.jpg

The L Girder framework along the scenic "back wall"of the railway room is complete, now awaiting cross members, track base supports and track bases.  The foundation is rock steady and level.  Moreover, it can be dismantled and used again should I ever move or get tired of Penmaenpool.  I sincerely hope that neither will apply!

Paul

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

At last, progress!

attachicon.gifIMG_1705.JPG

The L Girder framework along the scenic "back wall"of the railway room is complete, now awaiting cross members, track base supports and track bases. The foundation is rock steady and level. Moreover, it can be dismantled and used again should I ever move or get tired of Penmaenpool. I sincerely hope that neither will apply!

Paul

Won't all the track fall on the floor?? ;-p

At last, progress!

attachicon.gifIMG_1705.JPG

The L Girder framework along the scenic "back wall"of the railway room is complete, now awaiting cross members, track base supports and track bases.  The foundation is rock steady and level.  Moreover, it can be dismantled and used again should I ever move or get tired of Penmaenpool.  I sincerely hope that neither will apply!

Paul

That's looking excellent Paul, nice, strong and level, what more could you want?  :O       Oh yes, more good quality Timber. :sungum:

Hope your well again soon mate and not to bruised.

That's looking excellent Paul, nice, strong and level, what more could you want?  :O       Oh yes, more good quality Timber. :sungum:

Hope your well again soon mate and not to bruised.

Thanks, Andy

The timber situation is getting better.  Unfortunately I only heard of a really good plywood source in Perpignan after I had ordered 6 sheets from elsewhere and eventually got them delivered.

As to falling off the step ladder I only bruised my ego and it is quite resilient, now fully recovered and ready for me to repeat the act at will.  Some people never learn!

Paul

• Like 1

Having set up 7.4 meters of L Girder I decided to add some cross rails and track supports. The location is approximately where the station building will be located.

post-20733-0-38436800-1521826149_thumb.jpeg

At this location there are three tracks.

post-20733-0-54911700-1521826317_thumb.jpeg

The one at the back is the hidden circular route, then the hidden track leading to the Barmouth fiddle yard, then the scenic track which includes two points at the western end of the platforms.

Any spare timber can be used for the uprights. The tops of the uprights have an extra strip added for stability. 10mm plywood will be used for the track bases.

Paul

• Like 7

This morning I attacked the sheets of 10mm ply with my new jig saw. What a pleasure this tool is to use. It’s by Bosch and has a vibration free (almost) motion, even when using the orbital setting. The ply cuts like butter.

I made a master 1.8 meter radius track base and then used this to make several more. I also cut a straight strip off one side of a separate sheet and this was so easy and I never used any guide other than a pencil line.

Paul

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 1

Oh My Gosh!  Track bases!

Well, they are not fixed in place yet, but they do represent how the next stage will develop:

post-20733-0-40209400-1522088470_thumb.jpg

The track on the left is the hidden continuous circuit.  In the center is the track leading down to the Barmouth fiddle yard.  The higher supports on the right will carry the scenic portion of the layout.  The lower track bases have to be added first, for obvious reasons of easy access.

The standard minimum radius is 1.8 meters (just less than 6 feet) which will allow the least radius tolerant locos to run.

Paul

• Like 13

The really good feature of the L-Girder system is that if you change your mind you can also change the plan.  I have realized that the toll bridge at Penmaenpool needs to be represented (even if only the toll booth, cottage and first few spans of the wooden bridge.  But at the moment the hidden track to the Dolgelley fiddle yard emerges right where the bridge should be.  The easiest way to change this is to simply lower the fiddle yard by 10cm and adjust the inclines below the scenic area.  This means that the two hidden tracks leading to the two fiddle yards will have to cross at the same level, using a diamond crossing.  A single slip would allow locos to nip across from one fiddle yard to the other but I am not sure if a standard single slip can be fitted in.

So more thought required but I can continue to build the framework while this is settled.  I may have to build some custom track but this will slow down everything else - I do want to run trains as soon as possible!

Paul

• Like 1

A restless night had me worrying about the best set up under the scenic layout and after printing off some Peco point templates this morning, there are two plausible solutions, the first being back to back Y points or the second a double slip.  The latter takes up less space (lengthwise) and also allows straight through running (the norm) with no reverse curves.  Price wise there isn't much difference between the two (using Tower Models prices).  This arrangement will also allow me to "park" a train on the underground continuous loop at the rear of the scenic layout, giving a little more interest when operating.  Though the only prototypical passing loop between Dolgelley and Barmouth would have been at Barmouth Junction.

This will necessitate some modifications to the existing track base supports and will also require some switchable safety wiring to avoid a head on collision at the hidden double slip.  So I need to get busy over Easter.

Paul

• Like 1