Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old buses (and coaches)

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Next Sunday, July 16, there is a big bus rally at Alton with lots of running promised to various locations in the area including stations on the MidHants. www.altonbusrally.org.uk.

Hoping to be there.

• RMweb Premium

Wondering down Argyle Street in Glasgow yesterday and was surprised to see a 1970s Glasgow Corporation Volvo Ailsa coming towards me . I did manage to get a pic on my iPhone as it went past. Wasn't aware of anything going on in Glasgow yesterday, perhaps the owner just had it out for run. It might have been heading back to Bridgeton. How nice to see the Corporation Green White and Yellow again

There's an event today at the Grampian Transport Museum, I'm told there was a bus/buses visiting from Glasgow, might have had something to do with that.  Or might not!

19029749_452843668382454_823688312589740

....... ML2341 which Andy used to own. These Leopards were real flying machines when compared to much of the rest of the fleet, as Andy can verify - really were very good indeed in their day, and on some occasions, ........ with the Leopard touching a good 55/60.

Easy!

Even at the ripe old age of 35yrs, ML2341 was noted touching 70 and that with a 4speed box and 'only' an O.600 engine :)

Just following on with the 'M' depot code, it was later used by Thornliebank depot - not an 'M' in sight. :)

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

Easy!

Even at the ripe old age of 35yrs, ML2341 was noted touching 70 and that with a 4speed box as well :)

Was it a manual then Andy - I thought that many had semi auto boxes - Pneumo Cyclic, ISTR - as had some of the Albions and all the Fleetlines.

Was it a manual then Andy - I thought that many had semi auto boxes - Pneumo Cyclic, ISTR - as had some of the Albions and all the Fleetlines.

Yup, manual with synchro on 3rd and 4th.

It was also one of the shorter steering column ones, every gear change meant contact between left knee/thigh and steering wheel and ultimately a bl@@dy big bruise.

No power steering either......

Scottish Bus Group were famously conservative when specifying their vehicles, none of this new fangled trickery for them! The 4sp constant mesh box didn't finally disappear until the late 70s, long after everyone else had progressed not only to all synchro manual boxes, but beyond that to semi and full autos. SBG were the only customer for the manual Leopard from 1970 until the ZF version replaced the AEC Reliance in 1980. SBG did have some AECs in the 1960s with ZF synchro boxes but they were the exceptions and I think the only ones with all synchro boxes after that were the Seddons from 1974 and a handful of Leopards in the later years.

Scottish Bus Group were famously conservative when specifying their vehicles, none of this new fangled trickery for them! The 4sp constant mesh box didn't finally disappear until the late 70s, long after everyone else had progressed not only to all synchro manual boxes, but beyond that to semi and full autos. SBG were the only customer for the manual Leopard from 1970 until the ZF version replaced the AEC Reliance in 1980. SBG did have some AECs in the 1960s with ZF synchro boxes but they were the exceptions and I think the only ones with all synchro boxes after that were the Seddons from 1974 and a handful of Leopards in the later years.

I'm really pleased they 'were famously conservative' - it meant I didn't have to source one of these:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Leyland_Leopard_badge.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My wife and I hired this old girl for our wedding in September 2014 (along with a few Mk1 coaches and E4 473 on the Bluebell Railway later the same day):

post-6910-0-03735700-1499803674_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

A couple taken at Boyle Street (Manchester) May 2016

A Selection of Local Leylands

post-1161-0-95486000-1499809511_thumb.jpg

And a sign to bring back memories of a sadly missed country-wide operator based in Rochdale. (Although the name and logo has been resurrected by a local operator in the Oldham area - although only local destinations/school services)

post-1161-0-01048100-1499809520_thumb.jpg

Edited by DerekEm8
  • Like 16

Easy!

Even at the ripe old age of 35yrs, ML2341 was noted touching 70 and that with a 4speed box and 'only' an O.600 engine :)

Just following on with the 'M' depot code, it was later used by Thornliebank depot - not an 'M' in sight. :)

Taff-Ely had three early-'70s AEC Reliance saloons with Willowbrook bodies and six-speed boxes. These were also real fliers: in 1975 [just before I finished driving for them], I managed 73mph in No 10 on the A470 dual carriageway, a return Caerphilly to Pontypridd trip. The bus was empty I'd have to add!

These buses were fitted with air brakes which required very ginger application. In an empty bus it was possible to get the rear axle to bounce if the brakes were applied too sharply.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 4

Random image which I've just found lurking in my hard drive, a lovely old thing seen at Neasden on the North Circular, no date or other info I'm afraid...

attachicon.gifNeasden LT Bus.jpg

The same bridge now has three lanes per carriageway and carries (a lot more) traffic today. I regularly get stuck here in the mornings.

• Like 2

The same bridge now has three lanes per carriageway and carries (a lot more) traffic today. I regularly get stuck here in the mornings.

Tell me about it, it's bad enough having to come down the M1 never mind the N.Circular, it seems to get worse every time I use it, day or night.

Tell me about it, it's bad enough having to come down the M1 never mind the N.Circular, it seems to get worse every time I use it, day or night.

I recently followed three or four blokes in a dark-coloured Rover P5 going toward Staples Corner, and did wonder briefly if it might have been you at the wheel.....

• Like 1

Taff-Ely had three early-'70s AEC Reliance saloons with Willowbrook bodies and six-speed boxes. These were also real fliers: in 1975 [just before I finished driving for them], I managed 73mph in No 10 on the A470 dual carriageway, a return Caerphilly to Pontypridd trip. The bus was empty I'd have to add!

These buses were fitted with air brakes which required very ginger application. In an empty bus it was possible to get the rear axle to bounce if the brakes were applied too sharply.

Tony

That reminds me of the incident involving an Albion Nimbus of Rockhampton City Council (in Queensland), one of six they had in service at the time. The empty bus was being driven across one of the major intersections in East Street towards a lay-by bay in the centre of the road just beyond that intersection, when the driver had to slam the brakes on to avoid a car. The rear axle stopped completely, but the rest of the bus continued on, nose-diving into the road surface. Apparently, the axle shackles snapped under the strain. The Nimbuses continued in service for some years beyond this incident in the late 1960s or early '70s (I can't remember precisely now) ... horrible things, they were!

• Like 1

I recently followed three or four blokes in a dark-coloured Rover P5 going toward Staples Corner, and did wonder briefly if it might have been you at the wheel.....

Alas not, I sold my P5B over two years ago. perhaps it was a ghostly vision, there used to be a Henlys dealership near Staples Corner...!

• Like 1

Tony

Quite probably GTG 91/ 2/ 3L, 1972 registered with 45 seat dual purpose bodies. AEC 505 engines and AEC manual gearboxes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30794964@N03/8658509766/in/pool-pontypridd_udc_and_the_borough_council_of_taff-ely_/

The combination would have been more than capable of 70mph+ running, there was little weight in the Willowbrook bodies and even with only about 140bhp on tap, the 505 was pretty lively...until the head gasket blew!

The bigger engined 760 with the 6speed ZF boxes were undoubtedly the most potent, real flying machines. In pre-limiter days, they had a legendary turn of speed and unlike most of their competition, could actually go and stop in the right order. One of the operators I worked for blanked top gear off with a stud welded to the top of the casing to prevent the selector from going far enough across to select it, that came after some bad press when a driver appeared in court for doing 80+ on the A1 in it one night, didn't even notice the patrol car in the line of traffic doing exactly 69mph as he cruised past it in the outside lane!

• Like 1

I remember that first to second on those AECs was extremely tricky: a very fast snap back or you lost it. The only time I ever got them into 6th. was on the dualled A470. The shed staff referred to 6th as 'super top'. We didn't need such fast saloons on the Ponty-Caerphilly run, but it was fun!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Next Sunday, July 16, there is a big bus rally at Alton with lots of running promised to various locations in the area including stations on the MidHants. www.altonbusrally.org.uk.

Hoping to be there.

Would be nice to re-create the one-time route 38 Alton - Portsmouth. Southdown's rural rambling into the Downs via Soberton was upgraded and extended to act as the rail replacement when the Meon Valley line closed.  It too never did well and was soon cut back to Droxford with a very meagre Alton - Droxford service offered latterly by Alder Valley.  Very little evidence of the route survives today and the section north of Droxford is devoid of public transport apart from school runs covering some of the ground.

A question arises.  Southdown had a large number of dormy sheds around their network including, I believe, at Droxford.  One late turn on he 38 ended at Alton however and the first southbound trip started there.  So did Southdown also have their own dormy shed in Alton, did that trip come out of Droxford light or did they base a single crew (latterly a DC; in Southdown parlance a driver-conductor) there and space-share with Aldershot & District?

• RMweb Gold

Off to Sevenoaks (Kent) tomorrow to attend the 2017 Bus Running Day. Will be a passenger on my friend's AEC East Kent Regent in Sealink livery:

post-586-0-59869500-1500149928.jpg

Pictures of tomorrow's event should follow in due course.

Keith

• Like 12