RMweb

For those interested in old buses (and coaches)

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Something a little different.

Not all Routemasters operated in London.

In 1997 and 1998 RMC1490 along with fellow sisters owned by Stagecoach used to travel up to North Wales to operate a special service on route 15 and 493.

Fast forward to 2018 and RMC1490 will be replicating some of this at the weekend of the Ffestiniog railways Hunslet 125 event away from its usual route of the Shrewsbury & Ironbridge sightseeing tour.

Not sure why the photos are sideways, sorry everyone.

post-8628-0-87915500-1529097916_thumb.jpeg

post-8628-0-78895500-1529097965_thumb.jpeg

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It wouldn't work for me up righting the photos.

I will be conducting from mid afternoon on Friday and driving most of Saturday and Sunday. I will be the young London fella in Regional Transport uniform.

• Like 1

I will be conducting from mid afternoon on Friday and driving most of Saturday and Sunday. I will be the young London fella in Regional Transport uniform.

I saved your image, righted it in photoshop and then re-posted.  Hope to meet you 30th June and sample a ride on a real bus.  It is some years since I attended a Festiniog Gala.

The Ffestiniog Hunslet 125 Gala is on June 22nd, 23rd and 24th only.

Glad you told me. Due to my scribble on the calender, I  mistook the classic Transport Weekend at Llangollen for the FR gala.

I filmed the Hunslet Gala in 1993. Great weekend and good weather too. Bristol L doing the honors at that time.  This mid 1980's picture shows ex.Chester Corporation Massey bodied Guy Arab IV No. 1 working a shuttle between the Ffestiniog Festival of Transport site and the joint BR/FR railway station, seen here passing the old LNWR(BR) station in typical slateville weather. I rode this bus when it was still in service, as Guys were thin on the ground by then....

post-6680-0-63062900-1529158447_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Are they mobile phone images?

Something in the code will cause a mobile image to only display in lapdscape format on this and many other forums.  Even if you edit the original to display in portrait on the phone.  I suspect it has something to do with the way a mobile interprets the subject of the image.  I have even had the uploaded image show correctly in the thumbnail here but when I preview the post it has turned itself sideways.  Grrrr.

The only way to fix this is seems to be via a third-party device such as a desktop running editing software.  I do mine in Mac's Photos suite though have the ability to do it on the Canon software too.  It works equally well in Photoshop or Gimp.  

Edited by Gwiwer

Something a little different.

Not all Routemasters operated in London...

I'd have thought the most 'famous' Routemasters operating outside London were the front entrance ones that Northern General acquired in the 1970s and 80s and (in maroon and with compulsory 'Shop at Binns' labels) operated as pay-driver-on-entry out of the former Newcastle Worswick Street austere sloping bus station.

32105EFE_3001151_Qty1_1.jpg

you can buy this at Hattons

They susequently butchered them into some bizarre configuations at their Victoria Rd, Bensham (Gateshead) works - presumably to save on Drivers being off sick with lower back problems.

Going back further: St Helens Corp operated some surprisingly smart London RTs up to Carr Mill Dam across the East Lancs motorway road in the early 1950s

The b+w pick of the Chester Corp Massey(?) bodied Guy on duty for the Festiniog reminded me that the rarities in Chester were their 'tin front' Fodens. I was disappointed to discover they were Gardner engined and not the 2 stroke supercharged variety.

Salopia of Whitchurch ran elegant noisy rear engined supercharged Foden coaches that nearly blew you off yer bike as they passed.

dh

• Like 6

I'd have thought the most 'famous' Routemasters operating outside London were the front entrance ones that Northern General acquired in the 1970s and 80s and (in maroon and with compulsory 'Shop at Binns' labels) operated as pay-driver-on-entry out of the former Newcastle Worswick Street austere sloping bus station.

32105EFE_3001151_Qty1_1.jpg

you can buy this at Hattons

They susequently butchered them into some bizarre configuations at their Victoria Rd, Bensham (Gateshead) works - presumably to save on Drivers being off sick with lower back problems.

Going back further: St Helens Corp operated some surprisingly smart London RTs up to Carr Mill Dam across the East Lancs motorway road in the early 1950s

The b+w pick of the Chester Corp Massey(?) bodied Guy on duty for the Festiniog reminded me that the rarities in Chester were their 'tin front' Fodens. I was disappointed to discover they were Gardner engined and not the 2 stroke supercharged variety.

Salopia of Whitchurch ran elegant noisy rear engined supercharged Foden coaches that nearly blew you off yer bike as they passed.

dh

The NGT Routemasters were actually bought new in batches from about 1964, and the drastic conversion on the right of the link is actually a PD3 with about 80% of an MCW body.

Mike

I remember them  being C reg and running the 45 route from Hartlepool  through Peterlee, and Chester-le-Street to Newcastle.

Also on the 40 route from Hatlepool to Sunderland.

I can't ever remember them being OMO.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think there were only 2 conversions, and that they were both rebuilt after serious accidents.

They looked awful seems a bit of an odd thing to do to go to all that trouble would seem more work than repairing the damage as built

They looked awful seems a bit of an odd thing to do to go to all that trouble would seem more work than repairing the damage as built

The reason for the odd rebuilds was to allow OMO working which the standard configuration wasn’t suited to. Neither was a success and hence no more were rebuilt, had it worked, they might well have continued.

Northern did have one ex LT bus, RM1254 I think it’s was, though a dozen or so of the fleet subsequently migrated south to LT after withdrawal by Northern.

Edited by RANGERS

It is hard to believe this was taken 15 years ago........Modern buses never seem to change in appearance to me!  The super low floor was presumably a novelty. Taken crossing the bridge over Abergele & Pensarn railway station in November 2003. This is probably the only stretch of cobbled road left in Abergele.....

post-6680-0-34623600-1530263683_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Link to several RM1254 pics here:

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/254clt/Recent

Actually it was numbered RMF1254 and was registered 254 CLT and used by London Transport to test out the front entrance double decker concept. For various reasons LT didn't continue with the experiment. The only successful application was in transfers from the West London Air Terminal to Heathrow that led to the RMA class. After the testing was concluded it was modified to Northern General specification which meant not only the destination boxes but re-seating and exchanging the AEC engine for a Leyland unit. It was also re-registered by Northern which meant that although it was the oldest member of the fleet it carried the newest registration.