RMweb

For those interested in old buses (and coaches)

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

There were some runs being made by preserved vehicles from the open day, and a nice run was had on this RT to Clapham Junction and back....

rDSCF6413.thumb.JPG.078ec5df6d7a1c3953e456697243e9b4.JPG

That reminds me of travelling on RT's in service on a hot summers day with all the windows wound down creating a cooling breeze.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Either a motor home or a carrier/minor maintenance shop for small race car or motorcycle is my guess.

EDIT: A mobile stage for a band or small actor's group, the main stage is on the other side.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The London Bus Museum had another of its series of running days today. This time it was the turn of route 81 Hounslow - Slough. Also operated were the former extension to Windsor along with variants 81A Hounslow - Langley, 81B Hounslow - Heathrow Central and 81C Slough - Heathrow Central. 

In addition a couple of trips were run as Green Line route 704, a couple more as former airport express bus A1 and a Langley - Windsor 484B which also re-created a long-gone former LT country area route. 

No fares were charged and the service was run in co-operation with TfL (whose regular route 81 operated and charged fares normally) and the local operators beyond London. 

Most buses were around half filled and most ran close to right time though there were exceptions on both counts 

RT, RM, RMC, RML, RF and more recent types from the London fleets were operated along with others from numerous operators including Reading Buses and Go Coach. 

4B0021E3-B6DE-422D-9960-F1519B488F58.jpeg.3d2753146ef5d831b2a40579db08a52f.jpeg

82CF80A3-7BEF-4E84-BF85-C1FA13ED3E3C.jpeg.3287c6f963d8bbdf296e1b1f2e756c8f.jpeg

A9296601-F856-44A5-B653-1488AD5DD26E.jpeg.1b006803fea840cd3afca2307b69e1ca.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Earlier this morning at Stagecoach South's (Southdown as was) Chichester Garage:

Stagecoach South 19935 (CD 7045) and 27663 (GX10 KZR) Chichester 15/6/22

135 on the left parked rather prominently on display with a run of the mill Enviro 300 in Coastliner 700 yellow colours (but usually found on any route but the 700) for company.

Curiously there are two Southdown Car 135's preserved, both with a Chichester history, this one which is still owned by the successor to the company (all be it with a bit of time owned by Provincial in the 1950's and 1960's)  and a Leyland National which was being restored until someone apparently stole it!  So looks like CD7045 will last longer...

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2022 at 13:49, PhilJ W said:

This is obviously a converted Bedford VAL coach. But what has it been converted too?

image.png.dfa38ab7d1e0241ad3923f38cd70171a.png

Renault 17 behind it is a rare beast 

• Like 1

Rather liking that Harrington bodied VAL 😀

Shades of 'The Italian Job' - and anyone who asks which one (of the films) will be will be summarily ex-communicated......

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Rather liking that Harrington bodied VAL 😀

Shades of 'The Italian Job' - and anyone who asks which one (of the films) will be will be summarily ex-communicated......

Surely blowing their bloody doors off is a better punishment?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

This beauty visited Chichester Garage briefly this morning:

Former Southdown 416 (416 DCD) Chichester 17/6/22

Curious coincidence meant that from the same batch as 416 DCD, the registrations of 414 DCD was to be found on a Enviro 200 parked immediately behind it in the garage behind it and moments later, the current carrier of 413 DCD passed by too:

Stagecoach South 27876 (413 DCD) Chichester 17/6/22

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

You know that you are getting old when......

IMG_20220612_153733.thumb.jpg.0b335225cf922eb65bb48c6ecf4f47ae.jpg

Your old School Bus is in a Museum.

And its bodywork and mechanicals are in better nick that yours!!

Regards

Ian

Yep, know that feeling...

Ex Southdown 75 (YCD 75T) Lewes 8/6/14

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

This beauty visited Chichester Garage briefly this morning:

Apart from the advert panel over the staircase that could be in original condition.  The adverts were originally for Southdown coaching holidays iirc.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This image appeared in a YouTube presentation on Pittsburgh that I started to watch yesterday evening......

270931068_Screenshot2022-07-07at06-14-46PittsburghMotorCoachCompany(1925-1964).png.687069c8512deb6691e5b317d537d749.png

....the original source being from this web-page.....

http://www.brooklineconnection.com/history/Trolleys/PMC.html

I couldn't find anything further out about it anywhere, but it does appear to be a standard NS, but with reversed staircase/loading platform for the US rule of the road and it does appear to have a US pattern registration plate.   I thought someone had been playing with Photoshop when I saw the "General" fleetname on it, but the upper saloon entrance door does fit in with the reversed staircase/platform arrangement - a lot of work to "doctor" in that way.

Any clues??

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Some pictures from North Norfolk vintage transport weekend.

Lucky shot with the RE coach the minor just happened to pass was nothing to do with the show

20220703_162245.jpg

20220703_134133.jpg

20220703_122333.jpg

20220703_120159.jpg

20220703_112447.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

This image appeared in a YouTube presentation on Pittsburgh that I started to watch yesterday evening......

270931068_Screenshot2022-07-07at06-14-46PittsburghMotorCoachCompany(1925-1964).png.687069c8512deb6691e5b317d537d749.png

....the original source being from this web-page.....

http://www.brooklineconnection.com/history/Trolleys/PMC.html

I couldn't find anything further out about it anywhere, but it does appear to be a standard NS, but with reversed staircase/loading platform for the US rule of the road and it does appear to have a US pattern registration plate.   I thought someone had been playing with Photoshop when I saw the "General" fleetname on it, but the upper saloon entrance door does fit in with the reversed staircase/platform arrangement - a lot of work to "doctor" in that way.

Any clues??

They had almost identical buses in Berlin, London General NS types with reversed staircases. Also there is no fleet number on the bonnet side. The manufacturer (AEC) had close ties with the LGOC so a bus might have been loaned for demonstration purposes. The right hand drive would not be regarded as a problem as before 1930 it was common on American heavy goods vehicles.

• Informative/Useful 2

I keep thinking of the RT class. Didn't they convert some staircases to the other side when they were withdrawn? Either as demonstrators, or firm orders from abroad, I don't know  Was there a similar exercise with the NS?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

They altered some RTL's to right hand entrance c. 1960 when the decision was made to sell off the Leyland version of the RT. The buses concerned ended up in Switzerland.

There were also some RMs converted to RH door/ LH staircase which went to Canada, Vancouver IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A lot more were converted after export, the Q class trolleybuses exported to Spain for example.

Some Rotherham single deck trolleys were also converted when they too went to Spain after withdrawal from service in their home town.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Some Rotherham single deck trolleys were also converted when they too went to Spain after withdrawal from service in their home town.

Indeed, some of them were fitted with two doors front and rear and the original centre entrance blocked off. You entered through the rear doors and paid a seated conductor. Most of the seats were removed as well.  

• Informative/Useful 2