Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

NNK/MTK Class 508

Hi,

Just a quick update on the new resin kit im doing, the roofs and bodysides for all variations will be released within the next few week's, I have had to wait for a design and production slot from the company that does all the 3d design and printing for the masters.

• RMweb Gold

Glazing installed to driving motor coach :)

post-29162-0-52703000-1497121181_thumb.jpg

post-29162-0-46911500-1497121240_thumb.jpg

post-29162-0-73563900-1497121295_thumb.jpg

The "glazing" was cut from an acetate sheet (old report cover). The passenger windows were fixed to the inside of the body using small dabs of superglue. A coating of Klear was then applied to remove any cyano "misting" and add clarity to the windows.

The cab windows were trimmed to fit and secured using Klear.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 5

Hi,

Just a quick update on the new resin kit im doing, the roofs and bodysides for all variations will be released within the next few week's, I have had to wait for a design and production slot from the company that does all the 3d design and printing for the masters.

Where and how will you publish availability please?

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

They will appear on this thread along with pics.

You could always start a thread of your own and advertise your wares on that...

Darius

Edited by Darius43

Loving the open hopper ventilators - a very nicely observed touch, and you've got the angle just right. I remember the originals on the SWD and this is one classy bit of modelling - can't wait to see the finished unit.

David

• RMweb Gold

A very well made kit and excellent finishing, would you now be prepared to construct a 313/314 ?

Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the compliments but I am not sure what you are asking for.

PM sent.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

Loving the open hopper ventilators - a very nicely observed touch, and you've got the angle just right. I remember the originals on the SWD and this is one classy bit of modelling - can't wait to see the finished unit.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for this. I though adding the open hopper vent windows would be a nice touch.

I used plasticard offcuts cut to a triangular shape, superglued to the glazing strip and then painted silver.

Getting the angle right is pure luck as it was determined by the width of the plasticard offcut :)

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for mentioning this as I think the work you have done has been fantastic but was there a reason for numbering the motor coach as S21269, S25720 and S24727?

A possible answer is that they were the original coach numbers that were applied when the units were built in their 4 car formations.

I would hazard a guess that when the class 455/7 units were built that it is again possible that the coaches would have been renumbered upon transfer of the 508s minus 1 trailer coach up here to the wirral where I live.

The motor coaches were then numbered into the 646xx and 647xx series and the trailer cars numbered into the 714xx & 715xx series.

Confession time. The are random "S" numbers from a decal sheet that I have and definitely not the correct numbers.

I have some old ABC guides from the late '70s that probably have the correct numbers referenced but I honestly could not be asked to chop up and line up individual numbers to suit.

I know this is probably RMWeb heresy but there it is.

The model will (eventually) be run on the layout that a friend and I are planning and is not intended for competition - apart from the judgement of my peers here on RMWeb.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It would be great to see a video of your unit on youtube at some point when finished and running.

Have you had the unit formed into the full 4 cars yet or is the 4th coach still in the finishing process.

I am absolutely amazed at how fast the unit has been built but I am impressed with your work. Well done.

Thanks Mersey507003. The chassis of the fourth coach has been completed but I have yet to motivate myself to start on the body. Once I do get started - probably this weekend - it should not take too long.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

Confession time. The are random "S" numbers from a decal sheet that I have and definitely not the correct numbers.

I have some old ABC guides from the late '70s that probably have the correct numbers referenced but I honestly could not be asked to chop up and line up individual numbers to suit.

The model will (eventually) be run on the layout that a friend and I are planning and is not intended for competition - apart from the judgement of my peers here on RMWeb.

Cheers

Darius

No doubt the naysayers will show us their models and then we'll see how it should be done.

Keep up the good work.

Mike.

Love Love Love what you've achieved with this model Darius and the standard of work on it. I remember when these units were on the Kingston to Waterloo line seeing your model brings that back so clearly. A great result mate, well done!

Danny...

Cheers

Cheers
Darius

I sympathise with the cutting up of transfers, it's difficult to line them up and then just when you think you have moved a digit over to the right place, the one next to it moves!

Numbers are better than no numbers. 3 of my EMU creations are awaiting numbers having been made a few years ago.

As I said earlier I think it looks great.
Edited by kintbury jon

• RMweb Gold

I sympathise with the cutting up of transfers, it's difficult to line them up and then just when you think you have moved a digit over to the right place, the one next to it moves!

Numbers are better than no numbers. 3 of my EMU creations are awaiting numbers having been made a few years ago.

As I said earlier I think it looks great.

Thanks Jon,

I have done the separate cut up numbers thing with model aircraft. With small sized decals it is almost impossible to line and space them properly. Plus the cut lines form ridges and are very visible.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally made a start on the second trailer coach body.

post-29162-0-41539200-1500200813_thumb.jpg

post-29162-0-65579500-1500200889_thumb.jpg

post-29162-0-38433200-1500200977_thumb.jpg

post-29162-0-67742800-1500201112_thumb.jpg

post-29162-0-17139900-1500201228_thumb.jpg

Vestibule partitions - 8 No. required to be cut from plasticard using the template made for the first coach.

post-29162-0-68042900-1500201492_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3

Darius great work again, and very instructive a good few takeaways for my MTK projects, I look forward to your next offering!, and the emu offerings that have come out as a result of your thread.

• RMweb Gold

Darius great work again, and very instructive a good few takeaways for my MTK projects, I look forward to your next offering!, and the emu offerings that have come out as a result of your thread.

Thanks 47164. Here's a sneak preview of my next project.

post-29162-0-39981500-1500214232_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks 47164. Here's a sneak preview of my next project.

attachicon.gifIMG_6292.JPG

Cheers

Darius

Hi Darius

If you are doing a 312 then you need a 315 to accompany it. Just slap a pantograph on your 508 and you're there  :sungum:  :sungum: 

Before any one goes into overdrive, I know the 315 panto car has different windies to the TS on a 508. :nono: :nono: