Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

• RMweb Gold

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post the photos, they are most useful especially showing the brickwork of the chimney breast, I will post some progress snaps, tho' I'm not likely to get much done before the week end. I think the most difficult bit will be the ladder due to its length. The box is the last major structure I have to do on the model then its just the details, in which lies the devil! Cheers for your help

Ian B

Ian,

for the ladder have a look at the Plastruct STAS-4 with matching handrails which can be easily cut to length. I used a couple on my model of Green Lane signal box with a scratch built landing in the middle. They're HO so a bit under-scale but not too bad and quite easy to build.

post-28123-0-98785200-1520530146_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Tom

• Like 3

Ian,

is that a pigeon cree in post 63

Tom

Yes, there are three around

Ian,

for the ladder have a look at the Plastruct STAS-4 with matching handrails which can be easily cut to length. I used a couple on my model of Green Lane signal box with a scratch built landing in the middle. They're HO so a bit under-scale but not too bad and quite easy to build.

attachicon.gif20170324_165527r.jpg

Regards,

Tom

Very nice!

• Like 1

post-6265-0-36003800-1520882676_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-77191900-1520882706_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-62416100-1520882743_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-85843100-1520882781_thumb.jpg

Some progress on Pilot Street box, I have to say it's been a complete pig, with a lot of bracing needed from 60 thou plasticard to prevent warping. I wish I'd build it around a Perspex box, still too late now. I've put in a couple of snaps for the pigeon fanciers. I used to race pigeons, but they kept winning.

Cheers

Ian B

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Lovely pictures of some nice models. The whole scene is very convincing and atmospheric.

Is the brick paper Scalescenes brown garden walling ? If it is I shall immediately invest in some.

Regards,

Tom

Lovely pictures of some nice models. The whole scene is very convincing and atmospheric.

Is the brick paper Scalescenes brown garden walling ? If it is I shall immediately invest in some.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes Brown Garden Wall, I've been very pleased with it, mainly laser printed. Most of it has been coated with matt varnish, but haven't done the box yet. The walls in the foreground are going to be based on Erskine Road with support girders as per the Harton System. I'm hoping to do the entrance to the cabin tonight. I will be using 60 thou glazing for the cabin which should prevent any more warping. I'm using limonene as an adhesive, I got a large bottle from work years ago, it's lasted well and doesn't frost the acetate. I hope to exhibit the model at Birtley next year all being well.

Ian B

• 2 weeks later...

post-6265-0-33493900-1522253420_thumb.jpg

Some progress on Pilot Street box, a bit detail work to do, railings, lamp over the door down comer etc. I hope to get some Plastistruct ladder at York this weekend so I can get  it finished. I used Pizza underlay for the roof and sanded in the complex curves. I'm still not sure about the N.E. Region Blue and White colours, but they were used at Belford. A bit late now but maybe someone out there knows something?

Have a good Easter

Ian B

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSC00222.JPG

Some progress on Pilot Street box, a bit detail work to do, railings, lamp over the door down comer etc. I hope to get some Plastistruct ladder at York this weekend so I can get  it finished. I used Pizza underlay for the roof and sanded in the complex curves. I'm still not sure about the N.E. Region Blue and White colours, but they were used at Belford. A bit late now but maybe someone out there knows something?

Have a good Easter

Ian B

This gets better and better Ian.  I like the splash of light blue in the otherwise (intentionally) drab surroundings and don't forget the matching handrails SRS-4 for the stairs.

I'm hopefully at the York show on Saturday after lunch.

Tom

Edited by tom shaw

• 1 month later...

Love the Harton hoppers, Ian - nostalgia hit!

Hi Neil,

I am going to get some Harton decals custom made as I anticipate a few wagons and hand lettering is tricky. A question, was the weed killer tank white or yellow? It like many other things is on my list!

I am still putting off doing the ladder for the bridge box and a few other jobs in that corner hopefully this next week should see some progress.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

I'd be up for some Harton decals, I've tried applying by hand but it's very ropey.

Great pics, can't wait for more progress

Regards,

Tom

Hi Guys,

I'm up for that, I was going to use Railtec, if you want to pm me we can sort out the details.

Ian B

Folks, if you'd like some Harton lettering made up as one-piece transfers that can easily be applied then I'll just make an off-the-shelf pack of them. This means:

- You don't have to spend eons lettering each wagon individually by hand;

- The end result often looks a lot better;

- There wouldn't be a custom job fee as I'd just make these into a stock item in the hope that others, over time, will also want them.

If you can get me a half-decent image of the lettering of the real thing (if any images exist) so I can see the nuances of its glyphs then it should be a 10 minute job.

• Like 1

Folks, if you'd like some Harton lettering made up as one-piece transfers that can easily be applied then I'll just make an off-the-shelf pack of them. This means:

- You don't have to spend eons lettering each wagon individually by hand;

- The end result often looks a lot better;

- There wouldn't be a custom job fee as I'd just make these into a stock item in the hope that others, over time, will also want them.

If you can get me a half-decent image of the lettering of the real thing (if any images exist) so I can see the nuances of its glyphs then it should be a 10 minute job.

Well, guys, who's got the best photos?

• RMweb Gold

Scroll half way down the page below for a couple of views of hopper lettering. These are the more modern type of wagons, the upright ribs were closer on the older hoppers. I represent the older ones by using the Dapol hopper (as Ian does, I think) so the Harton transfer needs to fit between the last rib and the wagon end, so no more than 15mm.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/sets/72157627462340530/

Any chance of including the N.C.B. lettering, the coupling symbol and some numbers on the same sheet ? (although these are available elsewhere)

Regards,

Tom

Edit: here is the older type

http://www.oldtyneside.co.uk/page%20284/Page%20284%20002.jpg

Edited by tom shaw