Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

There are a couple of photos in books (and 1 on the wall of Tanfields carriage shed) of 69101 on a parcels train at South Shields.

Thanks for that, I need to get a few details of the loco, Was Pelton Level a sub shed of Tyne Dock? I have 69101 and 69105 at 52H until 4/59. I remember buying the kit second hand a few years back for about £45.00 chiefly because it had a Portescap motor included, but as I'm in kit building mode I thought I would try and complete it (The ES1 isn't mine alas)

Ian B

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, I need to get a few details of the loco, Was Pelton Level a sub shed of Tyne Dock? I have 69101 and 69105 at 52H until 4/59. I remember buying the kit second hand a few years back for about £45.00 chiefly because it had a Portescap motor included, but as I'm in kit building mode I thought I would try and complete it (The ES1 isn't mine alas)

Ian B

Ian,

my copy of BR steam motive power depots (North Eastern Region) shows both at Tyne Dock in 1959, I'm not sure if they received a 52H plate or retained the 54B until scrapping.

Tom

Ian B

According to my 1963 Ian Allan ABC , Pelton Level was indeed a sub shed of Tyne Dock.

Mal

According to my 1963 Ian Allan ABC , Pelton Level was indeed a sub shed of Tyne Dock.

Mal

Hi Mal,

Thanks for that I was guessing that was the case. I quite liked the concept of John Don's abandoned layout Pelton Level I fancy something along those lines, but must get Tynebank finished first!

I was hoping to have Tynebank at Birtley next year, but am doubting whether I could manage a whole weekend.

Ian B

• Like 1

Not wishing to hijack your thread Ian but, as my renewed interest in the ES1 is your fault :) here's the progress on mine as of close of play last night, cab roof is just placed on for now.

IMG_1026.jpeg

Well done, John, I'm afraid I will have to sit on the naughty step as I haven't done anything to mine, I do however have a running chassis for a N10. Please Hijack as much as you like!

Ian B

Just noticed I've managed to get the 3rd rail collectors upside down  :O

Model Australian railways! Seriously, are you going to build something for it to run on, I appreciate South Pelaw is your magnum opus.

Ian

post-6265-0-24552700-1535124929_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-73766800-1535124966_thumb.jpg

Re the N10, although I have a running chassis, I had forgotten how crude 1970's kits were, it was a pig fitting the footplate, practically had to remove 50% of it to avoid shorting out, should have built my own. Still not giving up, I suppose I should do a thread on the kit building section, but calling this a kit is rather charitable more like a collection of disparate lumps of white metal. God I love a good whinge!

Ian B

Model Australian railways! Seriously, are you going to build something for it to run on, I appreciate South Pelaw is your magnum opus.

Ian

Not sure, I have always fancied a cameo based on the Quayside in Newcastle so it is a possibility...

• Like 1

attachicon.gif IMG_1897.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1898.JPG

Re the N10, although I have a running chassis, I had forgotten how crude 1970's kits were, it was a pig fitting the footplate, practically had to remove 50% of it to avoid shorting out, should have built my own. Still not giving up, I suppose I should do a thread on the kit building section, but calling this a kit is rather charitable more like a collection of disparate lumps of white metal. God I love a good whinge!

Ian B

Off to a good start, I've not built a coupled chassis before although I do have a Bradwell 9F chassis to build, I should probably start with something simpler :)

Managed to, very carefully, price the shoebeams off and refit them.  I've also done the two jobs I was least looking forward to, soldering up the steps and soldering the roof on:

IMG_1028.jpeg

• Like 4

Off to a good start, I've not built a coupled chassis before although I do have a Bradwell 9F chassis to build, I should probably start with something simpler :)

Managed to, very carefully, price the shoebeams off and refit them.  I've also done the two jobs I was least looking forward to, soldering up the steps and soldering the roof on:

IMG_1028.jpeg

Teaching my granny how to suck eggs, but the shoes will touch the third rail (or mine do), which is good re scale, but not so good re friction

• Like 2