Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

Noooo! sell rather than scrap.... would be such a waste of time, modelling skills etc etc. Let someone else continue on with this evocative chip of the North East,  even if its on the wrong side of the river  :beee:  :O  :jester: ha ha 

Pete

Well, I started to harvest Tynebank for reusable bits, when I had a visit from Charlie Miller, he persuaded me not to scrap it, and helped with some areas i am having difficulty with due to tremor etc. So Tynebank lives and I guess Birtley show is on. But thanks to you all for your comments, much appreciated. I do find it difficult to cope with depression at times, it's great I can turn to this wonderful hobby of ours and get support from people I've never met!

Ian B

Good to hear Ian, I'll see you at Birtley.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

post-6265-0-06133800-1547838111_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-64679000-1547838154_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-74051700-1547838198_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-09521900-1547838241_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-83358300-1547838288_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-04184000-1547838333_thumb.jpg

Some progress on the lower level, signal ladders and o'head wire next.

Alas had to withdraw from Birtley Show for reasons many and varied, very sad about this as I have always enjoyed exhibiting there due in no small part to the friendliness and hospitality of the club members

Ian B

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_2283.JPG.f7b0b530eb27ce89f95e6552381935ef.JPGIt's glory days of hauling ore up to Consett are long gone and apart from an occasional turn banking 63974 has been relegated to trip working. It will be withdrawn in 11/62 along with it's other class mates.

(Is it wrong to say I much preferred the previous incarnation  of RMWeb, I suppose I will be banned for saying that, ah well, always Western Thunder)

Edited by Ian Blenk
error
  • Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Derby Lightweight waits Wallside for South Shields to make up a stopper for Sunderland via Boldon, while an EMU awaits for suburban run to The Central.

Tried photo in daylight, not so happy.

However, I have got the WTT set up on Access, it displays on an Access form, with thanks to John Elliot (The Laird) for the idea, I also have a repeater screen at the South Shields end. Next step full operation session, shame there's only me to play trains, do need two to run it properly. Then just a tinker with the OLE and i think it's finished, time to move on with South Gallions (Sarf of the London River in the 1950's). Watch this space! 

DSC00365.JPG

• Like 15

Well, there you go, just put the finishing touches to kit built J27 (Dave Alexander) and Oxford Rail have announced a RTR. Also recently bought a Mike Edge 48DS and started preliminary work on it, and then Hornby announce a RTR. So if anyone wants a particular prototype RTR let me know and I'll start building a kit for it.

Actually I should be grateful that manufacturers are still manufacturing. :D

Edited by Ian Blenk
Bad spelnig
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ian Blenk said:

I need to find a way of reducing the size of the snaps, always seem to exceed 10MB

IMG_2289.JPG

Hi

Try  right clicking on the inserted image and a drop down box should appear to allow resizing....of an image already uploaded...or resize prior to uploading where you have them stored and save copy to then upload,,?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The availability board; The South Shields operator/ Shed Foreman is given a list of which locos are available for which class of train. They must diagram one of these appropriately. It takes a little time to get organised, but I think it adds something to the operation (There is a cheat sheet linking Number to class!).

Availability.JPG

• Like 5

One of the turns is an 'as required trip to Velva Liquids, this takes place usually one a week depending upon shipping. The tanks are tripped to Tynebank Yard and taken forward to Velva by their own loco an Armstrong Whitworth (Courtesy of a Chris G kit, which I bought in 1993).

Surprisingly I am enjoying operating the layout, albeit on my own, it's a bit strange offering and accepting traffic to yourself.

Velva 1.JPG

Velva 2.JPG

• Like 13

Things can get congested at Tynebank, the collier Harry Richardson (a flattie) is alongside Stanhope Drops and requires 4500 tons of power coal for shipment to Shoreham. The teemers and trimmers are ready and waiting and the 'watch ashore' crew are away home. 68693 is the staith pilot today and will earn its' keep over the next few hours.

I have three different scenarios regarding mineral leading, each requires the South Shields man to fit in a particular tonnage of coal around the fixed movements in the W.T.T.  Wot larks!

The wallside line will soon have overheads and become a part of the Harton System

I am aiming to have the operation debugged soon and any conflicting moves spotted and ironed out, hope to be fit for exhibiting in November, but don't hold your breath.

j721.JPG

J722.JPG

J723.JPG

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've never been particularly keen on the Ivatt Cl. 4 but a number were 'dumped' on North Eastern sheds toward the end of steam.

here is 43019 looking remarkably spruce on a trip working from Heaton.

Well, that's just about it really, nothing much else to say about Tynebank. I have an N10 to finish and an A1 Silurian which I saw go past our house in the early 60's. We lived opposite Monkseaton carriage sidings and so used to see quite a bit.

On with South Gallions and a small mineral Railway 'Tarnhouse Fell' watch this space!!

Cheers for now

Ian B

Ivatt1.JPG

Ivatt2.JPG

Ivatt3.JPG

• Like 12

• 2 months later...