Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_2000.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2001.JPG

A rough mock up of the next bit.

Doing demo with these at Workington Show next month, drop in and say 'Hello' or something less polite if you feel like it!

Cheers

Ian B

Looks brilliant Ian, I take it this is a different layout to Tynebank.

Came across this video the other day of someone modelling the arches in 3D:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, yess!  The Arches - part of the real South Shields heritage - criminal they knocked them down.

Shame about the timing Ian - we were there two weeks ago - too skint (new car for Mrs NHN on Saturday) to flip over for a weekend. :no2:  :this:

post-10195-0-73350100-1538594894.jpg

Hi Guys,

It is separate from Tynebank and really just a 4' x 1' module based on the above photo. I still have a lot to do, but it is a diversion away from Tynebank which has dominated for a while. When I can think of an appropriate name for it I will start an new thread. I would like to have the Pier works in the foreground if I can develop a believable scenario (although that's never stopped me in the past!)

Cheers

Ian B 

• Like 5

Inspirational photos, could I ask about what appears to be a railway line heading through the small dark arch at the left of the photo marked '4'.

Looks to be part of the Tyne Improvement Commission Quay lines, leading into a goods shed.  I don't think it's NER.The photo with the car is looking the other way, with the goods shed just visible on the right. As a Shields lad, I well remember cycling through the arches on the way to the Jarrow pedestrian tunnel. The bus to Newcastle also went through, although we usually got the trolley bus from St. Oswin's to Tyne Dock, and the electrics from there to the Central (Platform 6?).

post-5-0-81416300-1538643518.png

( Tyne commission quay was on the other bank. Doh! )

Edited by swampy
  • Like 2

I should point out that mine is a vastly slimmed down version of the arches, I appreciate the number of tracks from the field I think is about 6, whereas I have only room for one, as the model is almost low relief. I also have to work in the gradients which are 1.117 for the field and 1.114 for the hole. I have started motorising a 20 tonner to give the impression of gravity working, I was always under the impression the Goods Shed in the above map was a granary, thanks Swampy for the info!

Cheers

Ian B

That's a cracker, isn't it - how things once were on the Tyne.  Wouldn't recognise it now....

attachicon.gifTD.JPG

Do they still load coal there? Loaded there many times just after it opened, disliked the place, unless I was paying off!

Loaded at Dunston, Jarrow and of course Harton. I think we were about the last ship to load at Dunston on the Ashington in Feb 1980, enjoyed going under and through the bridges.

Also Blyth (Bates and West) and Sunderland No1 and 22(?) Once to Seaham for cargo of scrap. Cold dirty and no sleep, life on the East Coast :nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Do they still load coal there? Loaded there many times just after it opened, disliked the place, unless I was paying off!

Loaded at Dunston, Jarrow and of course Harton. I think we were about the last ship to load at Dunston on the Ashington in Feb 1980, enjoyed going under and through the bridges.

Also Blyth (Bates and West) and Sunderland No1 and 22(?) Once to Seaham for cargo of scrap. Cold dirty and no sleep, life on the East Coast :nono:

Don't know Ian - I left in 2002!

Alas it is all history as Mrs Thatcher put paid to that and Tyne Dock plus Battleship Wharf at North Blyth and Tyne Dock became import terminals. Battleship Wharf is the site of Bolckows where a number of team locomotives were scrapped!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the responses chaps. Your photo is fantastic Neil, shows just how dominant the railways once were.

Dominant, yes. You should see the field sidings, engine shed then another set of sidings, all before the Consett line crossed the Newcastle to Sunderland line (the Leeds Northern). I grew up about a quarter of a mile from the engine shed, although it was dilapidated and a shadow of its former self when I knew it. Throw in the South Shields branch, the dock lines and the Harton railway and you could hardly swing a cat in Shields for railways.

Tom

An afternoon trainspotting at Tynebank

post-6265-0-13531200-1538917333_thumb.jpg

Walter K runs forward from South Shields after arrival with the 3.00pm 'Shieldsman' from Liverpool, having taken the train from York.

post-6265-0-03142500-1538917469_thumb.jpg

A rare view of a working Clayton, the Gateshead based loco is propelling a trip working from Tyne Dock into the Riverside reception road

post-6265-0-67445800-1538917549_thumb.jpg

The ES1 takes the vans out of the reception road, after reversal it will propel them down the grade to the Wapping Street branch.

post-6265-0-80568700-1538917650_thumb.jpg

Overkill on the motive power side, Tynedock T1 collects empty plate wagons ex T.D.E. they will eventually be returned to Consett.

post-6265-0-24509200-1538917743_thumb.jpg

Plated Kerr Stuart collects a wagon load for T.D.E.

post-6265-0-86413600-1538917812_thumb.jpg

V1 on ECS working with the stock from 'The Shieldsman' this will be run to Heaton

post-6265-0-69742000-1538917895_thumb.jpg

Light J27 mineral leading, running to Wearmouth to collect more power coal for the London River.

Cheers guys, now where is that ES1 kit?

IB

• Like 13

An afternoon trainspotting at Tynebank

attachicon.gifWalter K.jpg

Walter K runs forward from South Shields after arrival with the 3.00pm 'Shieldsman' from Liverpool, having taken the train from York.

attachicon.gifclayton.jpg

A rare view of a working Clayton, the Gateshead based loco is propelling a trip working from Tyne Dock into the Riverside reception road

attachicon.gifES1.jpg

The ES1 takes the vans out of the reception road, after reversal it will propel them down the grade to the Wapping Street branch.

attachicon.gifT1.jpg

Overkill on the motive power side, Tynedock T1 collects empty plate wagons ex T.D.E. they will eventually be returned to Consett.

attachicon.gifKerr S.jpg

Plated Kerr Stuart collects a wagon load for T.D.E.

attachicon.gifECS.jpg

V1 on ECS working with the stock from 'The Shieldsman' this will be run to Heaton

attachicon.gifJ27.jpg

Light J27 mineral leading, running to Wearmouth to collect more power coal for the London River.

Cheers guys, now where is that ES1 kit?

IB

Great selection of shots!

Love the black and white!

The J27 shot is tidy, but I like the Clayton shot! Always had a soft spot for the poor beasts!!!!

My favourite? The Kerr Stuart!! Industrial loco you see!!!

Could you put some detail in about the model please?

Chris.

The Kerr Stuart is based on the one built for the R& ER to run granite from their quarries to Ravensglass station.. I built it from brass & plasticard in 1992 for when I was into Cumbrian Industrials. The loco is preserved somewhere.

IB

The Kerr Stuart is based on the one built for the R& ER to run granite from their quarries to Ravensglass station.. I built it from brass & plasticard in 1992 for when I was into Cumbrian Industrials. The loco is preserved somewhere.

IB

Thanks for that.

C.

post-6265-0-88697100-1539268554_thumb.jpg

Running up from the staiths with empties.

I was trying to get the Erskine bank vibe, wish I'd put the Pilot Box ladders in the right Place!

Still have to put the o'head in place, but that will be the very last thing I do

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

post-6265-0-40269800-1540474479_thumb.jpg

The Snapper; East Yorkshire Regiment 60809 and the Durham Light Infantry 60964

My Grandfather served with the East Yorks. from 1914 until 1919. he was shot twice and badly cut up on barbed wire.

My Grandmother's first husband served with the D.L.I, he was killed in 1915.

Puts railway modelling into perspective.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

post-6265-0-68596600-1542135312_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-45866500-1542135354_thumb.jpg

Tynebank Extension;

On Saturday 17th November I  will be messing about with the above structure (i.e. demonstrating how not to build a model).

I shall be sat there like 'Billy- no-mates' If anyone wants to pop along and say 'Hi' it will shorten a long day. It would be nice to put faces to names.

Hope to see you there, there might even be banjo music, but don't let that put you off.

It's at Workington M.R.S. Energus Building Blackwood Road, Lillyhall, Workington CA14 4JW

Ian B

Edited by ianblenk
  • Like 7