Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ian Blenk said:

Some progress on No1 and No3. Wish now I'd put them in numerical order. 6 or 7 next?

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

I look forward to seeing them finished Ian. No. 9 is a bit of an ugly duckling but would make a fantastic model.

I've sent for two of these from LocoNstuff at £55 each:

image.png.32fc32da28b5d655d69060d560331c0d.png

so I'll report back when I get them.

Tom

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The difficulty with No9 is that it's so low over the outer axles, I couldn't find any reasonable way of driving them. We had the same problem with the LSW electric DS74 - and this is even lower - eventually solved by designing it as a 2-4-2, inner axles geared together, outer ones running (unpowered) as pony trucks and taking the bogie frames with them.

The LocoNstuff bogies look interesting  if a bit on the expensive side.

• Like 2

I was just too late to see the Harton system.
I have seen No9 at Tanfield and marvelled at it.
My only experience of electric industrial systems was limited to the Kearsley Power Station system. One of their locos is at Tanfield.
I organised a trip for our school model railway club to the system. They were very accomodating, even gave us a loco to go round the system.
Chris.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I have seen No9 at Tanfield and marvelled at it.
My only experience of electric industrial systems was limited to the Kearsley Power Station system. One of their locos is at Tanfield.
I organised a trip for our school model railway club to the system. They were very accomodating, even gave us a loco to go round the system.
Chris.

Back in the day I used to work on colliers, we frequently loaded at Harton in the mid 70's up until the mid 80's when they opened the Tyne Coal berth at Jarrow. Everyone was very obliging, lots of footplate rides up to Hilda sidings (and back). Also used to load at Dunston & Jarrow on the Tyne plus S'land and Blyth. Went once to Seaham, but to load scrap not coal. Happy days, (well not really, it was hard bloody work especially in winter)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The difficulty with No9 is that it's so low over the outer axles, I couldn't find any reasonable way of driving them. We had the same problem with the LSW electric DS74 - and this is even lower - eventually solved by designing it as a 2-4-2, inner axles geared together, outer ones running (unpowered) as pony trucks and taking the bogie frames with them.

The LocoNstuff bogies look interesting  if a bit on the expensive side.

Yep, I couldn't really figure a way to get it to move and I don't think  I could do the bogie/buffer assemblies justice. I only saw it in service once at Westoe in the early 80's or maybe late 70's.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ian Blenk said:

https://www-anglingdirect-co.uk.imgeng.in/media/catalog/product/cache/b0feda7636da30efa34d4678755a2414/k/o/korda-dark-matter-rig-putty-4_1.jpg

Try using this as weights instead of lead, very dense and can be put in all those hard to reach places! Tungsten Putty.

korda-dark-matter-rig-putty-4_1.jpg

Ian, did you get it local and what's the weight you get.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Blenk said:

Yep, I couldn't really figure a way to get it to move and I don't think  I could do the bogie/buffer assemblies justice. I only saw it in service once at Westoe in the early 80's or maybe late 70's.

Would be interesting as a static modelled, or pulled around "dead" by another.

11 hours ago, Sandhole said:

The first job I had was as a delivery driver for a wholesale greengrocer in Sunderland. Apart from local shops, he had the contract for the local fire stations and the NCB canteens.

Fire stations were a nightmare - the canteens were always up several flights of steps, and half-hundredweight sacks of potatoes are no fun after the tenth!

The NCB canteens were another matter, given the railway interest! I deliverd to both ends of the Harton / Westoe system as well as Monkwearmouth Colliery, and one had to be on the lookout for locos - especially silent electric ones - when driving around colliery premises.

It's no wonder that I'm a little overweight nowadays - you never left a canteen without a mug of tea and a bacon / sausage butty, and after a couple of collieries and two or more fire stations in a morning - well, you weren't in a hurry for lunch!

Oh - and then there were the shipyards ...... Doxfords was good for steam locos and bacon butties!

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Talk of No.9 makes my knees go weak - having grown up in sight of it working the south end of the colliery.  I was there last the day before it left for Tanfield.

scan0025.jpg.be815d26500da26bd1a142a242d7d934.jpg

You know what I should give it a go! Need to finish 1 & 3 then I have a 2NOL which is 3/4 done for South Gallions and an Avonside for Tarnhouse Fell, so no breath holding!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, long island jack said:

looked a little cleaner in 2011

2010_0530shuttle70098.JPG.3694697678d95e9c8177ba7d4aa44ed0.JPG2010_0530shuttle70099.JPG.d056d25f047bd1a9b104d6dada28e1af.JPG

they seem to have lost interest in the railway side of Beamish.. this is in a state, some of the wagons are rotting way.. shame really..

Baz