Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

Bronzino waits to take the east bound 'Shieldsman' After a few (quite a few) months of being neglected I decide  to brush off Tynebank and make a few changes before I have to take it out in March. I have decided  to change the triple semaphore it's empty space can be seen foreground, there are a couple of tweaks to the OHE I will probably change the wire for  a smaller swg (Larger diameter) and have a careful look at the third rail, I'm not entirely happy with clearances for all stock. I was happy with the couplings on S.G. last weekend and will continue to use these on T.B.

DSC00718.JPG

• Like 16

I have been making a few changes to Tynebank to try and improve photo ops and ease of operation. One of the main problems I had, was that the o'head at the front was easily damaged, so I have changed the designation of some of the lines. The Harton line is now on the upper level and it's place has been taken with the Riverside branch. The front line is now the exchange siding for Stanhope drops.

Here are a few snaps, I still have to put up the over heads,

I have also done some work to the footbridge and Mile End cabin, I intend to change some of the signals

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

Edited by Ian Blenk
  • Like 19

For the first time in a while  have been playing trains to see if the new arrangements are going to work. Things seem to be OK, but I have reduced the sequence to only 15 different  arrivals.

Some snaps taken to day;

1) ES1 has been towed to it's work place and will be propelled to the Riverside Exchange sidings (off stage) In truth I have not been pleased with the running of the ES1

2) Q6 mineral leading with power coal bound for the London River via the Stanhope drops and a Stevie Clarke's collier.

3) The staith pilot waits the next move. I know , no J77s south of the river in this time frame, but I do like the  prototype and enjoyed building the kit back in the day.

DSC00735.JPG

DSC00736.JPG

DSC00737.JPG

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Trying out some different traffic flows, here is Tyne Dock O1 on wagon freight, going to who knows where art the minute.

The next operational task is to decide on a practical sequence display and format, the one I have is too complicated and certainly couldn't be used if the layout was exhibited. I have one of the rare unsigned copies of Martin Neild's book on operation in which Steve Hall gives some useful ideas.

Must straighten that finial 

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158 (2).JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Overhead in place, boy that was fiddly doing it retrospectively. The Harton line will be an exchange with B.R. I hope! The parcels van is waiting for the peg to run on to South Shields station.

Second photo shows the start of the replacement signals, the pipe on the bridge needs to be stuck down!

DSC00740 (2).JPG

DSC00741 (2).JPG

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I wasn't happy with how slack the overhead was , so made this rather Heath Robinson device to keep tension in the wire whilst being soldered, so far it seems to have done the trick, but as I said before not the thing to do retrospectively at the back of the layout!

IMG_0177.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Well, ran a few trains on the higher level to check clearances etc. I need to adjust the pan on the EE so it will contact the wire.

Next is to complete the replacement signals, one of which can be seen in the b/w snap. Fortunately some years ago I made a 'sig-jig' which holds things in place quite nicely. The main problem is finding space under the baseboard for the servos

DSC00742.JPG

DSC00745 (2).JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ian Blenk said:

Well, ran a few trains on the higher level to check clearances etc. I need to adjust the pan on the EE so it will contact the wire.

Next is to complete the replacement signals, one of which can be seen in the b/w snap. Fortunately some years ago I made a 'sig-jig' which holds things in place quite nicely. The main problem is finding space under the baseboard for the servos

DSC00742.JPG

DSC00745 (2).JPG

I just Bloody Love this train set.
Big Regards,
Chris.

• Agree 1

Seen at Tynebank today;

The sevens on a Sunderland (via Boldon) Parcels

Plated Ruston collecting Tanks for Velva Liquids. Internal user 3 planker being used as a barrier wagon. The Ruston will eventually be butchered to represent the one from South Shields block yard

IMG_0181 (2).JPG

IMG_0183 (2).JPG

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Like so....

My photos.

251660940_pier(1).jpg.1038249047655b34411f1fdfe7382762.jpg

1714760265_pier(2).jpg.848476307b37cce2fc816af6e55004aa.jpg

I need to move the buffers further inboard and add a couple of other things. I wasn't going to but one as I have two kits in the 'to do' draw, but there you go, it runs quite well, I must investigate the bogie for possible use in Harton No.3, but next thing is to finish the two replacement signals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Was there a crane on that (south) side of the harbour?

I think the big one on the North Pier ran on it's own tracks (?)

There was, almost a twin to the North Pier. There are photos of it on line. I did photograph the North one and also the blockyard at the Haven

• Like 1

17 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yes Ian, the buffers are odd - for the wooden framed wagons I suppose.

Here is a snap of some of the block bogies and the water tank that I built using T.I.C. drawings. I also built the cement wagon, I have a snap of it somewhere!

100_0276_00.jpg

• Like 8