The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Why I don't Use Facebook

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

I have not come across any sexism, hatred or racism  on 'Footplate Memories of the '60s', 'The Lickey Incline and Bromsgrove MPD', 'North Yorkshire Moors Railway', 'Grosmont MPD News' or many of the other pages or groups I have joined.

Where do you look for this drivel?

I don't look for it; sorry didn't. Even on railway sites I have dropped into there are arses that make anti social and insulting remarks. There are fewer of these on RMW so I will remain on here.

Phil 

Mixed feeling about Facebook, there's a couple of closed Facebook groups of a model railway interest, ie, there's a couple of Hornby dublo interest groups as well as a traing railway one and a triang-Hornby one, I've follow them as kind of interest, prices, repainting, advice etc.

I do go dancing quite a bit, Facebook is the only way I can get information as where the danceing is now, there's no local paper anymore, just sticking an advert on some website don't work anymore, it kind of centralises all the events.

On a more local level it's again the only way to find out local events like classic car shows, open garden events, new restaurants opening, living on the north wales coast it's about the only up to date source of traffic information on the A55, a road constantly suffering long traffic jams. I even find out it's the only source of local bye-laws like dogs bans on beaches etc. When the bins get collected over Xmas, closing of recycling centers, though Facebook I found out my local bank was shuttling

So it's part of life, no local papers, useless council websites, little or no postal information

After a few years of my fake Facebook account for logging into things with I finally put my real details in it last week.

Well everyone I went to school with seems to be a massive racist and Facebook suggests I 'friend' my dentist's wife.

But I have a small number of friends who are people I actually know. So that works.

I use Facebook and have done for a short while now.  It has been useful for keeping in touch with a small group of friends and now some colleagues.  I do not accept friends from people I do not know or people I do not want to be friends with.

I do not accept offers from people to be friends full stop. I think it is a stupid idea.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

AS a final dying breath for this thread I am just announcing that I have stuffed my Facrtbook Account as I am so ashamed of the complete drivel, hatred, sexism and racism on there & also the many recent appalling statements about Politics and recent horror happenings  in particular. It has shown me just how vile some of the people in this country are and I want no more to do with that. What has become apparant is there is a huge, underlying divide beteween the 'haves' and 'have nots' in society that is going to cause trouble in the future and also a most worrying, creeping undercurrent of vile activity directed towards peope that are 'different' in many ways. I am feeling really bad that I actually read this stuff and was getting dragged into thinking that I had no idea even existed.

Huge warning here, if we don't do something to monitor much more carefully what out youngsters are doing/seeing on this sort of social media, then  things are going to get very bad indeed. The Moderation of Fartbook itself is pathetic as far as blocking out people that use it to spread their nastiness.

I don't care if anyone thinks I should not have been involved in the first place. I though I was old enough to deal with it, but boy I came close to getting dragged right in.

Thank God I realised in time.

Phil

Hi Phil. Do you feel the same about Facebook as you do about Facrtbook and Fartbook? I can never understand why those who don't like Facebook can't bring themselves to use its proper name.

• Like 1

Hi Phil. Do you feel the same about Facebook as you do about Facrtbook and Fartbook? I can never understand why those who don't like Facebook can't bring themselves to use its proper name.

Colin, its the reasoning why most internet sources go through the same thing; Microsoft and its many unkind incarnations come to mind or to make it more appropriate, why Bullieds are called Spam Cans

Brian.

I do not accept offers from people to be friends full stop. I think it is a stupid idea.

Bernard

Bernard,

I think that the internet, or more properly those that use it, has devalued the meaning of the word friend, especially for young people. To me it's someone whose company you know you will enjoy and you know you can rely on in times of difficulties. Now it seems to be someone with whom you can create an electronic link.

I use Facebook and have done for a short while now.  It has been useful for keeping in touch with a small group of friends and now some colleagues.  I do not accept friends from people I do not know or people I do not want to be friends with.

I also do not read stuff on there that does not interest me or which I find offensive pretty much the same as I do on here!

I cannot see the reason for the great divide in opinion and some vitriol that has been expressed.  It is simple use it if you want to, don't if you don't want to and let others do the same without it bothering you.

Oh and as for being tracked.  I am fairly sure nothing I do or look at would be of any interest to the Authorities.

It's probably not just the Authorities that want to track you. It's any organisation that wants to sell you something, gather data about peoples "lifestyle", etc. The daughter of a friend (a proper one who I've known for over forty years) works for IBM in "Big Data" and get's paid what seems to be a great deal of money for doing it.

Your RMweb profile shows you have 12 friends on here. :)

But they are real people.

When I was first told about this forum by a member of another forum It was mentioned that they were such nice helpful people on here.

Almost without exception that has turned out to be the case. Unlike Facebook they do not send me silly adverts and other junk.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But they are real people.

So are people on Facebook. I have (checks) 532 'friends' on Facebook. I know all of them, and have common interests (cycling, uni, school) with all of them. Are they all true friends in the conventional definition of the word? No. Do I accept friend requests from people I don't know, even if we have dozens of 'mutual friends'? No. Do I have people in there I had a better friendship with years ago and actually probably wouldn't recognise in the street? Yes (uni housemate's ex girlfriend springs to mind).

The level of grumpiness on this thread is impressive! I actually don't really like Facebook that much these days it's full of adverts and crap that it thinks I want to watch, I'm far more interested in the activities of my 'friends', however transient our relationship!

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Gold

Your RMweb profile shows you have 12 friends on here. :)

Colin makes a good point there Bernard and having just seen your reply I would say the 'friends' that I have on Facebook are real people.  In fact all of the Friends Requests are from real people just that some of them I care not to be associated with.  What I fail to see is the thought that it is stupid.  Why is it?  You may not like it and I can fully understand that but the fact that some do implies that you think they are stupid for doing so.

Bernard,

I think that the internet, or more properly those that use it, has devalued the meaning of the word friend, especially for young people. To me it's someone whose company you know you will enjoy and you know you can rely on in times of difficulties. Now it seems to be someone with whom you can create an electronic link.

It's probably not just the Authorities that want to track you. It's any organisation that wants to sell you something, gather data about peoples "lifestyle", etc. The daughter of a friend (a proper one who I've known for over forty years) works for IBM in "Big Data" and get's paid what seems to be a great deal of money for doing it.

Everything we do 'almost' has the possibility of being tracked.  If you have a mobile phone your movements can be tracked.  Your use of cards for payment tracks you and anything on the net is open to scrutiny be those who have an interest in such things.  As regards companies forcing adverts and the like onto my screen well it take but a split second to sail straight past those. 

Most of the time I use messenger to keep in touch with a group of friends but I still look at the main page as I find some of the stuff interesting.  The stuff that I don't find interesting I don't read.  I have control over what I want to read and that won't change.  Much the same as on here or any other media really.

• RMweb Premium

I didn't say I didn't like Facebook. I actually was trying to explain that it is what's on there that has made me remove myself from it. If you have a problem with me using 'silly names' for it then so be it. Yes, I can not look at that sort of stuff I was going on about, but I have just got bored and annoyed with it and that's my choice. 

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So are people on Facebook. I have (checks) 532 'friends' on Facebook. I know all of them, and have common interests (cycling, uni, school) with all of them. Are they all true friends in the conventional definition of the word? No. Do I accept friend requests from people I don't know, even if we have dozens of 'mutual friends'? No. Do I have people in there I had a better friendship with years ago and actually probably wouldn't recognise in the street? Yes (uni housemate's ex girlfriend springs to mind).

The level of grumpiness on this thread is impressive! I actually don't really like Facebook that much these days it's full of adverts and crap that it thinks I want to watch, I'm far more interested in the activities of my 'friends', however transient our relationship!

When you get to my stage in life, if you are not just a little grumpy about some stuff then you will deserve a medal. You are right about the 'contact with friends' thing though and I will probably reappraise that said of things when I have coolked off a bit.

Phil

I got a bit grumpy about the cost of a punnet of seedless grapes in Tesco this morning. I then had a full-blown row with the self service checkout when the item wouldn't scan and I was prompted to input the barcode manually. Needless to say I didn't have my reading glasses with me and couldn't decipher the numerals that would have fitted quite comfortably onto a Cold War era microdot. This could all have been avoided if I'd gone to a "proper" checkout but as it was 7.02 am and I hadn't had anywhere near enough coffee, my desire for human interaction was non-existent.

I'm not quite 50 and if I'm this grumpy about trivial things now, I can't wait to see what I'm like when I grow up...

:angry:

• RMweb Gold

I got a bit grumpy about the cost of a punnet of seedless grapes in Tesco this morning. I then had a full-blown row with the self service checkout when the item wouldn't scan and I was prompted to input the barcode manually. Needless to say I didn't have my reading glasses with me and couldn't decipher the numerals that would have fitted quite comfortably onto a Cold War era microdot. This could all have been avoided if I'd gone to a "proper" checkout but as it was 7.02 am and I hadn't had anywhere near enough coffee, my desire for human interaction was non-existent.

I'm not quite 50 and if I'm this grumpy about trivial things now, I can't wait to see what I'm like when I grow up...

The easy way to calm yourself is to scan a pasty.

Works every time for me.

The easy way to calm yourself is to scan a pasty.

Tried that once with a bag of donuts from the home bakery counter. They didn't scan either... I then discovered that it's almost impossible to feed a jam donut into a self-service checkout's coin slot. That did make me feel a bit better though.

• Like 2

I think that the difference between - as I have always understood it - friends and acquaintances is increasingly not recognised nowadays.

I have many acquaintances  but far fewer friends. There is - in my view - a very distinct difference. Should there be a different word to describe those with whom you communicate  "invisibly"and haven't ever met or seen. Perhaps an "Ethereal" would be more appropriate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"Ease up, Driver!"
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think that the difference between - as I have always understood it - friends and acquaintances is increasingly not recognised nowadays.

I have many acquaintances  but far fewer friends. There is - in my view - a very distinct difference. Should there be a different word to describe those with whom you communicate  "invisibly"and haven't ever met or seen. Perhaps an "Ethereal" would be more appropriate.

Rimmer in Red Dwarf - "I've come to think of you as people I met."

• RMweb Gold

There are fewer of these on RMW so I will remain on here.

Wasn't always the case, we've had some distinctly unpleasant character through these doors - and all in the name of model railways.

Like ChrisWright03 I avoid anything that I don't like - however I will sometimes read things which "annoy me" simply so I can understand (which isn't always possible granted) where people are coming from in their views.

As Voltaire said :

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say It"

• RMweb Gold

As Voltaire said :

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say It"

As with everything else in the age of the internet that's been incorrectly attributed.

The correct attribution is 'Lemmy' From Motorhead.   :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

As with everything else in the age of the internet that's been incorrectly attributed.

The correct attribution is 'Lemmy' From Motorhead.   :mosking:

As Abraham Lincoln once said "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"

• Like 2