Class 700 delivery train consist

stivesnick

Last week whilst travelling on the east coast main line, our train passed a GBRF Class 66 hauling a new Class 700 EMU heading north 

The train consist also included a number of container wagons both before and after the EMU. It appeared more than the normal barrier wagon that you often see when units are being moved. Does anyone know what these wagons were?

Possible answers are:

1) Other revenue earning freight - unlikely as the Real Time trains shows that it loco runs round the train at Peterborough and then delivers the train to Hornsey Sidings

2) Containers of spare parts or perhaps the equivalent of the bag of bits for the modeller to install.

3) Wagons to provide the brake force as the EMU would be unbraked.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Last week whilst travelling on the east coast main line, our train passed a GBRF Class 66 hauling a new Class 700 EMU heading north 

The train consist also included a number of container wagons both before and after the EMU. It appeared more than the normal barrier wagon that you often see when units are being moved. Does anyone know what these wagons were?

Possible answers are:

1) Other revenue earning freight - unlikely as the Real Time trains shows that it loco runs round the train at Peterborough and then delivers the train to Hornsey Sidings

2) Containers of spare parts or perhaps the equivalent of the bag of bits for the modeller to install.

3) Wagons to provide the brake force as the EMU would be unbraked.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Nick

3 - brake force.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

What was a Class 700 doing being hauled north on the ECML?  The deliveries are supposed to be direct to Three Bridges down south in the land of the third rail...

• RMweb Premium

What was a Class 700 doing being hauled north on the ECML?  The deliveries are supposed to be direct to Three Bridges down south in the land of the third rail...

Being delivered to Hornsey from Dollands Moor via Peterborough

There are others if you search "Peterborough 700" on flickr.

With there only being one wagon at each end, I would change my mind on brake force to coupling converters/brake translators.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I saw one going through Gatwick a year or so back which had multiple wagons, with containers, either side. More like an intermodal rake that happened to have a 700 in the middle! Definitely not unique to the ones going north.

Edit, video here which shows some additional wagons amid each 4 coaches. The one I saw had a similar number, but all 12 coaches together in the middle.

Edited by njee20

I saw one going through Gatwick a year or so back which had multiple wagons, with containers, either side. More like an intermodal rake that happened to have a 700 in the middle! Definitely not unique to the ones going north.

Edit, video here which shows some additional wagons amid each 4 coaches. The one I saw had a similar number, but all 12 coaches together in the middle.

There is another possible reason ....................

To brighten up the fact that there is so much of that appalling dismal grey livery in one train ................... :O

Edited by Southernman46

Being delivered to Hornsey from Dollands Moor via Peterborough

There are others if you search "Peterborough 700" on flickr.

With there only being one wagon at each end, I would change my mind on brake force to coupling converters/brake translators.

Cheers,

Mick

The ones in that photo have ventilation louvres in the containers, suggesting that they have some sort of brake 'translation' gear on board. What this consists of, I don't know. Other rakes seem to have half a dozen or so 'loaded' container flats for brake force- usually, these are box containers, but I have seen tank containers used. Yet others, like that night-time shot at Gatwick, have former VTG Ferry vans immediately next to the units, with container flats beyond. 

What I have noticed is that some delivery paths are noted with 'Rail Operations Group' as the operator- I must look to see if there's a pattern to this.

This site often has photos of the deliveries:- https://lapassiondutrain.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Desiro .The people who run the site are based in Hazebrouck, near St Omer.

Edited by Fat Controller

Again I would agree with the Brake Force Runners & Brake Interface Units. However I might go so far as to suggest that some of it may be to provide some of the 'Hotel Power' requirements. Alot of equipment will be powered down/ load shed for a move, but you'd be surprised at the loading a 'dead' Fixed Formation Train can add.

66's don't have ETS

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

From the pictures on the French web-site noted in post 8 and the train I saw this morning, my conclusion would be that:

The 8 car Class 700 trains on the move, just have the barrier wagons

The 12 car Class 700 trains on the move have the additional container wagons - assumed for additional braking capacity

Regards

Nick