Re-naming Hornby Pullman cars

• RMweb Gold

I have offered to assist the estate of a deceased modeller by disposing of a number of Hornby Pullman cars.

Unfortunately, the modeller had started the process of removing the names from each of the Pullman cars, but none is completely or sufficiently removed to enable me to simply apply new decals without the remains of the old ones showing through.

These are matchboard sided Pullmans and I am finding it difficult to remove the last remnants of the old names; does anyone have a clever way of doing this without damaging the underlying paintwork? - I don't want to get to the point where the cars also need a re-paint!

All advice gratefully received!

Tony

IPA on a cotton bud, although some people swear by T-cut on a cotton bud.

This.

Although if it's matchboard then maybe try a little bit of IPA or T Cut on a cocktail stick or toothpick very gently in the gaps.

If all else fails then I believe the Humbrol Pullman Umber is a perfect match.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.

I have been away for a few days but now that I am back I shall try out the various approaches suggested.

I'll report back on my success, or lack of it, for future reference!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

When IPA is stated in this context what is it? Clearly not India Pale Ale beer, so I'm guessing a chemical shorthand for an iso something or other but what is it shorthand for please.

• RMweb Gold

When IPA is stated in this context what is it? Clearly not India Pale Ale beer, so I'm guessing a chemical shorthand for an iso something or other but what is it shorthand for please.

Isopropyl alcohol - which you can buy in many chemists.

Edit: you don't typically use much so don't buy a huge bottle.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony.

OK...

...there are 2 types of sticky label: permanent (price labels; fridge fronts; etc) and those "why aren't they all like this" easy off labels - similar to masking tape.

The Pullmans 'may' have the permanent type (cos we want them to stay put)

Desperate one day I Googled/YouTubed and found WD40.

I know...it's oily...can't possibly work...but it did for me! Fridge sticker residue came off like a good 'un! No anwarranted side-effects, either.

Used it ever since. Yes I would use it on a model on the basis that my models come into contact with WD40 occasionally anyway.

Try it...if/when all else fails...

Good luck!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for possible thread drift, but could someone be kind enough to advise me as to the name/purpose of the wishbone shaped gubbins at either end of the roof?

Bernie

They are the pipes for filling the various water tanks for toilets / kitchens etc.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK, so I have managed to completely remove the old names & clean up the paintwork, but can someone help me as to how to get the new transfers to sit properly onto the matchboard sides?

I have tried but the coach name appears to sit across the matchboarding like a nameplate, rather than settling down into the grooves between the boards.

All ideas welcome!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

OK, so I have managed to completely remove the old names & clean up the paintwork, but can someone help me as to how to get the new transfers to sit properly onto the matchboard sides?

I have tried but the coach name appears to sit across the matchboarding like a nameplate, rather than settling down into the grooves between the boards.

All ideas welcome!

Tony

Have you tried the Microset/Microsol combination? Softening and setting decals is what they're designed to do, and that's usually what they achieve. Not 100% successful from what you might read on here, but I've never had a failure with them.

• RMweb Gold

Mick

Many thanks for the suggestion which I will give a proper try.

At first attempt I did use some Microsol but I found that it made the transfers terribly fragile and easy to pull apart.

I will just have to be more careful!

Best wishes

Tony

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2017 at 22:35, Tony Teague said:

Mick

Many thanks for the suggestion which I will give a proper try.

At first attempt I did use some Microsol but I found that it made the transfers terribly fragile and easy to pull apart.

I will just have to be more careful!

Best wishes

Tony

I am doing the same thing. How did it turn out for you?