Zinc Pest (Mazak Rot); The Affected Models List

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, sandwich station said:

This is what Mazak rot looks like. Funny enough this is the front bogie off of 34070 Manston. :) 

post-19662-0-20256000-1389525974.jpg

post-19662-0-15586700-1389526023.jpg

it’s not mould or a surface covering and it didn’t brush off. The paintwork has come off exposing metal underneath, looks similar to the bogie in the above picture.  Such a shame as it’s a cracking model and Bachman spares don’t have a spare body. I’ll photograph it and monitor it to see if spreads. Now to check Manston that’s in a display case in the house…

Big thanks to everyone who’s responded.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Manston said:

it’s not mould or a surface covering and it didn’t brush off.

Did you use a stiff brush e.g. a fibreglass bristle brush?

An ordinary soft brush wont work.

It still looks like surface corrosion to me and that would lift the paint.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Manston said:

it’s not mould or a surface covering and it didn’t brush off. The paintwork has come off exposing metal underneath, looks similar to the bogie in the above picture.  Such a shame as it’s a cracking model and Bachman spares don’t have a spare body. I’ll photograph it and monitor it to see if spreads. Now to check Manston that’s in a display case in the house…

As Dunsignalling says, this bogie is from the limited edition Manston (R.2260), dating from the end of 2002 (only 500 produced). I also had Merchant Navy Port Line with the same problem. There are other Bulleid pacifics of that period with the same issue. I was lucky enough to have 2 replacements sent to me by Simon Kohler a few years ago.

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2023 at 21:48, Manston said:

Could you show a photograph afterwards, as this would be a new one to add to the list ?

Yet another reminder!

Please post only details of affected models in the format requested in post #1.

All posts not of this type will be hidden.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/08/2023 at 08:41, adb968008 said:

Could you show a photograph afterwards, as this would be a new one to add to the list ?

Picture taken post fibreglass bristle brush. Takes the paint off back to the metal. Perhaps it’s not the rot then.

IMG_3777.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

That does look hopefully like surface oxidation/corrosion, possibly due to condensation inside the packaging.

If so, shouldn't be a problem. A good clean and some new paint should do the job.

The ones I have had with rot look very different as it's the internal structure of the metal that changes, causing crystalisation and expansion.

Eventually they just break apart without much/any help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

Not a loco, But 3 Triang short wheel based wagon chassis. Rotting round the buffers and buffer beam. Only seen mazak rot once before in a Triang product. That was a 3mt 2-6-2 chassis that had virtually disintegrated. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 20/10/2023 at 09:20, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Not a loco, But 3 Triang short wheel based wagon chassis. Rotting round the buffers and buffer beam. Only seen mazak rot once before in a Triang product. That was a 3mt 2-6-2 chassis that had virtually disintegrated. 

Got any pics of the wagons cypherman?

9 hours ago, sandwich station said:

Got any pics of the wagons cypherman?

Hi sandwich,

Sorry no. I binned them in a fit of annoyance and did not think to take any pictures and post the pictures before it was too late.

I was wondering though in the older Hornby Dublo and early Triang ones how close to the end of WW2 they were made. As the state of the economy and general buggered upness of the wold at that time. Did they have to use what ever they could get their hands on to make the mazak chassis. Which once the world had settled down and trade and the economy had picked up were able to get a better quality alloys?. Just a thought.

Edited by cypherman
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

Does anyone know if any of the Hornby T9s were not affected by the rot? (i.e. any specific R number)

I've heard some people say the one in the Imperial Airways pack wasn't, but it all gets a bit confusing and there seems to be a lot of conflicting info.

The latest version of 120 in LSWR green is claimed to be OK, but I'd think it's probably too early to be certain.

I have the older (NRM) one and four different BR examples that have all succumbed. However, there might be random examples of all or any that received uncorrupted motor mounts by sheer chance.

Don't buy any T9 you haven't seen run perfectly would be my advice. 

John

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The latest version of 120 in LSWR green is claimed to be OK, but I'd think it's probably too early to be certain.

I have the older (NRM) one and four different BR examples that have all succumbed. However, there might be random examples of all or any that received uncorrupted motor mounts by sheer chance.

Don't buy any T9 you haven't seen run perfectly would be my advice. 

John

My neighbour has a black T9 full of it. But, I injected superglue in all the cracks as a " nothing ventured, nothing gained " idea and it's still running okay...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 33C said:

My neighbour has a black T9 full of it. But, I injected superglue in all the cracks as a " nothing ventured, nothing gained " idea and it's still running okay...

The first T9 I tackled was for a friend before any of mine failed. I made a new mount by laminating plasticard and superglued the motor to it. Still running fine four years on.

Since then I've used the brass castings from Peter's Spares and bought enough to do all of mine in anticipation. The Hornby spare was unavailable at the time, and I'm not sure I'd trust it to be better than the original part anyway. 

The mounts in those I've so far repaired had substantially turned to dust, and half of what was left remained with the body when I removed it! I haven't yet gone inside the rest, and they may not be so extreme, but they no longer run well and there's similar dust in their boxes.

• RMweb Premium

It's such a shame Hornby have seemingly washed their hands of the T9s. Considering how many fell to the rot, you'd assume a market is still there for new ones. They don't even really need to touch the tooling, just made them out of better (and longer lasting) materials. But I'm sure they have their reasons.