Zinc Pest (Mazak Rot); The Affected Models List

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2022 at 21:11, adb968008 said:

Sadly ive looked all over, I dont have it.

if anyone has the pdf I can construct a new xls and update it again.

Shouldn't the original re-appear when the site has re-indexed itself?

It's doing it for images, we have been told. Surely it applies to any attachment?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Shouldn't the original re-appear when the site has re-indexed itself?

It's doing it for images, we have been told. Surely it applies to any attachment?

In theory yes, but if it was edited and re-uploaded last year then it was probably lost along with last year's images that were not in the backup that was salvaged.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another one for the list, just picked up a Hornby R066 Duchess of Sutherland, not got it yet but the chassis bottom is clearly riddled with rot. Good job I have a breaker in stock with a good example :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-LMS-Duchess-of-Sutherland-6233-Spares-or-Repair-/284800998635

Edited by RedgateModels
Pedants

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

(Mainline is generally regarded as degrading from this period, but mostly due to axle nylons, but the specifically the 1980’s Moguls split chassis seems to have become wider affected by mazak in the last decade, giving 30 years life).

More specifically, the GWR Moguls.

The Bachmann SR Mogul (N Class) was one of the first models they made with a one-piece chassis block, never having been produced in split-chassis form.

The Mazak issue with (some of) those was the cast running plate unit and, as an externally visible part, it became evident quite early. Bachmann had a batch of new parts made to fix affected examples. The BR 31813 and one of the SR ones were particularly susceptible IIRC. I have a 31860 from the same period and it's fine. 

Most of the affected models will have been rectified long ago. Any others that haven't succumbed after all these years, are presumably free from the impurities that cause it, and most likely never will. 

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/05/2022 at 08:56, melmerby said:

Isn't R066 from the 70s?

My bad, meant to say 80's, service sheet 111 was issued in '78 but I'm sure the loco is in the same catalogue as the APT-P, but I may be wrong. Anyway R066, service sheet 111. The later 111A had a plastic chassis lower with spring detail etc

update: Hamilton lasted until 1979, in 1980 they re numbered the loco to Duchess of Abercorn. The affected part S4351 was used until service sheet 111A in 1992. So we are both right 😎

here’s the offending part with my good spare. 

4B72AD81-71FC-49B3-B6C1-BF0E6FDD316A.thumb.jpeg.80cbb52d14626a3317655b7f7379d862.jpeg

Loco is now all sorted and ready for sale 😁

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Informative/Useful 2

I see the Triang 3MT, R59, is on the list. So if we're going back to when Adam was a lad, then the British Trix EM1/Class 76, F105B (B for Black) and F105G (Green), later catalogue numbers 1123 and 1126 respectively, suffered from zinc pest. it was the bogie casting that failed, I've not heard of any of the bodies falling apart. The same bogie casting was used on the Warship, F106, so they could be affected as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not seen this list before and noticed the Austrian Klein Modelbahn locos.  I had four different class 2143 diesels and al four suffered the "class 31" style cracking where the frame swelled and cracked the plastic cabs.  Not sure if I kept them or whether they went in the bin.  They were pretty good in the day and had surprisingly well matched twin motored bogies.  

Certainly seems mine were not the only ones affected.  From what I can make of this someone is making replacement frames

Small model railway 2143 frame self crocheted. - Locomotives and Wagons - Kleinbahnsammlerforum

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi. I've got a Hornby R.2248 BR 9F which I bought 'sold as seen' and has turned out to have Mazak Rot in the loco chassis.
I've contacted Hornby who say they no longer make/produce a spare chassis for this, and also contacted AC Models of Eastleigh who Hornby directed me to as a sort of 'breakers yard' for model railways. They're unable to help too.

Finally I ordered a chassis from ebay but this turned out to be for the wrong model.

Is there any option for repairing it, or is it forever destined to be a static exhibit?

Thanks!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2022 at 09:39, alexl102 said:

Interesting, thank you... Is any modification required to create a dual-motored loco?

Does the body of my era 9F fit onto the chassis of the newer 9Fs or not? The body is in excellent condition.
Don't have a photo at the moment, it's currently in bits with a repairer after I bought what I thought was a the right replacement chassis... it wasn't!

Polite reminder; this thread is only for advising people about affected models.

See post #1 and several reminders along the way 👍

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/09/2022 at 17:54, adb968008 said:

Looks more like damp corrosion than mazak rot.

sand it out and maybe ok.

Mazak rot is a bit like blue cheese.. brittle with loads of micro cracks running all through it, often causes ruptures, or uneveness to the original shape of the metal through expansion caused by the gaps created by cracking.

On 26/09/2022 at 18:54, Brit70053 said:

Just seen this post and suggest this looks like remnants of 'Liquid Lead' of which the majority has been removed from the chassis block.

Regards,

John

On 26/09/2022 at 19:02, cypherman said:

Hi, I had the same problem with the 9F. I bought an earlier silver seal chassis, which does not seem to suffer from Mazak Rot. I stripped down the chassis and swapped all the parts over. It is basically the same chassis. I now have a working 9F. Bought a second chassis as I have another 9F boxed p some where in my collection just incase that has gone the same way.

On 26/09/2022 at 19:08, cypherman said:

Hi, I was surprised to see such an early Triang model with this When I bought one for spares. Fortunately, it was only the valve gear I was after. I have another 6 spare R59 chassis in my chassis box waiting. But I thought that they were made of better quality materials back then. The one I bought was only held together by the conrods. When I took them off, it split into 3 pieces.

On 30/09/2022 at 16:26, Godfrey Glyn said:

Following the recent article in Model Rail (305 - Oct 2022) re preparing a Hornby T9 chassis I was discussing the issue with Paul at Alton Models. He was able to supply me with the genuine Hornby X9945 for a mere £9.99. If anyone else requires this spare part I suggest you give him a ring while he still has some in stock.

all the best

Godfrey

On 30/09/2022 at 17:14, stovepipe said:

Will the Hornby original spare last any better than the original, particularly if it is old stock? I found the Peters Spares own replacement more than adequate for the job, and the few extra grams were a useful bonus.

On 02/10/2022 at 18:08, Godfrey Glyn said:

Hi, I checked with Paul and he tells me that his stock is new and not therefore affected like the original ones that were fitted to some of the T9s when manufactured. I gather the X9945 consist of the following:-

image001.png.10ff64b2c68a32a07595def41178ad6e.png

I hope that helps.

all the best

Godfrey

Polite reminder; this thread is only for advising people about affected models.

See post #1 and several reminders along the way.

Other posts will be hidden in due course.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for the transgression, I had not seen the thread before. 

I can add another Triang-Hornby loco to the list. R.52S - BR early crest Jinty with syncrosmoke. It dates from around 1974, and as a childhood gift it was heavily used, then packed away in a cupboard for 30 years. When brought out 10 years ago, the chassis had crumbled between the middle and rear wheels. Perhaps a combination of the smoke oil and cool storage, but there it is.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Lima USA Mikado - basically the same as their SNCF 241R.

A bit of an outsider, but I have just found the diecast boiler ballast weight of my example of the above has started to bulge and warp. Luckily she has been in bits for some time (she shed a tiny screw from her valve gear- never to be found again) and I found out, "Why won't she go back together?". A lump of lead will replace it ASAP.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

another to add to the list. 

i have had this come in to me for repair. the loco wheels turn freely from the motor and it seems the chassis around the worm gear has deteriorated. Hornby R number is R2664 Collectors centre special edition Royal Scott. 

scott.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/01/2023 at 12:33, Dan Griffin said:

another to add to the list. 

i have had this come in to me for repair. the loco wheels turn freely from the motor and it seems the chassis around the worm gear has deteriorated. Hornby R number is R2664 Collectors centre special edition Royal Scott. 

scott.jpg

Coincidentally, one of these with rot is currently on ebay so its not just a one off!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just had Hornby R2728 Royal Scot Class 4-6-0 46120 "Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers" in BR Green with late crest come through my hands. Clear signs of rot to the chassis above the front bogie. Gears are slipping on the motor so there's also a good chance that the motor mounts etc are affected too. I'll take it apart soon to confirm.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just seen this on an apple green LNER tender. It appears to be tender drive and the body was fixed in with a screw at one end. It also seemed to have a motor (not ringfield) at the far end. Looks to be Triang or Hornby (probably Hornby).

Sorry I can't be of more help, but it's an apple green LNER tender drive ( or ex tender drive) loco from Hornby!

IMG_20230218_131639497_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230218_131635615.jpg

IMG_20230218_131637447_HDR.jpg

• Like 1