More 3D - adding something new every week

Another quicky, the GWR Syphon F

gwr-syphon-f-1a.jpg

and now I have started on my Bermuda Railway project,most of which have to be worked out from photos and dimensions documented(still hoping some drawings might turn up). Despite lack of buffers this was standard gauge.

bermuda-railway-motor-van-100-1b.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The GCR petrol railcar is an odd beast. The drawings are misleadung, possibly confusing the outline of te sliding door on engine compartment(?) and the body outline. At least the imensions are given, with narrowest part of body being 8ft 3in and widest part 8ft 6in, the shape in the drawing is not possible. It actually scales out at nearer 9ft wide. Have used dimensions. Not many photos, I only found 2 online and the one in the book.

gcr-petrol-railcar-1a.jpg

Just to say thanks to Simon for very quickly rescaling the GCR petrol-electric railcar for a project I am working on in Z gauge. Progress will be reported when Shapeways deliver the body. I grew up within earshot of the evening trains on the Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple, but they were the last DMU's, not the 'Bollington Bug'. Simon has a vast range in many scales on Shapeways now.

• Like 2

thanks. most of my older models just require a simle resize to create Z scale versions. Newer designs would need more work, but should be possible.

don't envy you modifying that Z gauge chassis, from experience with N gauge ones. They come apart OK, but getting them back together, and working.....!!

• Like 1

Updated my designs for LNWR Siemens EMUs, for altrnative sides to motor coaches, as welllas tidying up other versios. Photos found of stock stored before conversion.

lnwr-siemens-ac-V2-motor-coach-1a.jpglnwr-siemens-ac-V2-motor-coach-1b.jpg

Another modified verson(much of the testin for WCML electrics was done on these units)

lnwr-siemens-ac-V2A-motor-coach-1a.jpg

Another version planned with slightly different panel on left, looking from front end. Not many decent photos, so quite a bit of Gimping and estimating(?). At least I started wit copies of original LNWR drawings so overalldimenssions are correct.

From photos of the stock when it was stored after WW2, I have been able towork out better positions for roof vents and have aded panelling detail and corridor door detail as well on all 3 coaches. Notcertain when original LNWR ones were modified,but certainly some time before 1940.

lnwr-lms-siemens-motor-coach-1a.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 3

Some of the GER Sundry vans were conveyed for use as fruit traffic Office Vans in 1937, and used on the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway. This is the 4 door version. I may do the 2 door version as well. One of the bodies of a door version ended up as a hut on the W&U.

ger-22ft-4-door-sundry-van-1a.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks working on my designs for 3D perspective buildings. thought a wagon was due, so given the curreent interest in the NER from the trade(since found out Slaters g=have brought back the NER hoppr wagon and bake van), here is one of the smaller hoppe wagons. Some continued in use on internal NCB lines,so could interest others.

ner-5pl-p4-coal-hopper-wagon-1a.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, rue_d_etropal said:

always open to suggestions. I do need drawings, unless it is something very special, well photographed so I can work out a drawing.

There's some very good drawings and photographs of most of what I have in mind. I'll compile a list and a source of the drawings which are in various publications.

Had a request forNorth Sunderland Railway stuff.Luckily I have Alan Wright's book, with good(but odd scale?) drawings, so started withBamburgh the MW loco. Also useful for any light railway or industrial railway.

I have (hopefully) made it easier to remove base of boiler, so motor/chassis can be fitted in different ways.

north-sunderland-mw-bamburgh-1a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Biggestproblem would be the chassis. Small! Interesting to note that amburgh had 3ft 6in diameter wheels wheras other L class locos seem to have 3ft diameter wheels(and nowheel splshers). I think wheelbase is different as well. Does not surprise me as these locos were built over a long period, and variations(possibly combining bits from different classes) would be built to customer's requirement.

Would the old Hornby Terrier chassis fit, do you think?

No, I have a Dapol model, and the wheels are too big.

One of the industial locos might fit. The wheel base is I think same as one of the other MW locos, but it might actually be easier to build a chassis with motor upright in firebox. Small motor plus gearbox.

• Moderators

Due to the changes in the way the software now displays topic titles could you please reduce the length of the topic title - it's particularly a problem for mobile users.

Thanks.

Just had a look at my Electrotren loco, and it look like it would be suitable for a 4mm scale Bamburgh. Would have to adapt under boiler but I don't think there is anything ele close r2r. The overall wheelbase is OK, but the position of centre wheel is not central, but close enough.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/12/2018 at 18:34, rue_d_etropal said:

Noticed, so presumed it was you, thanks . Knowing my luck someone will now find a photo showing other side.

Preston, I might be able to get to that , hopefully not cancelled by bad weather this time!

Hi. I've been working on the GER brake van. Details on my blog here.

IMG_2280.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Simon, here are a few suggestions for possible 3D printed models as mentioned a couple of weeks ago. I have found not only a source of photographs but of scale drawings as well.

1) Whitcombe centre cab diesel locomotive. These locomotives were supplied in 1942 to the 8th Army for use in North Africa. Most of them then went to Italy with the 8th Army but two came to the UK and were used on the Longmore Military Railway. The drawings and photographs can be found in 'The Longmore Military Railway Vol.3'  ISBN 139781899891.

2) Channel Ferry Passenger Brake Van. These were the precursor to the Southern Railway BY vans, the principle differences were the 'birdcage' lookout over the guards compartment and they were the only such vehicles with even planking.  D & P's are in 'Southern Railway Passenger Vans' ISBN 0853614288 (Oakwood press)

3) London Tilbury & Southend Vacuum Cleaner Van. This unusual van, which resembles a cross between an Iron Mink and a Lowmac was built in 1912. D & P's can be found in 'Locomotives and Rolling Stock of the LT&S'  ISBN 0853614660 also from Oakwood Press.

4) Oxford & Aylesbury bogie coach. These were built by the Bristol Carriage & Wagon Co. for the O&AR c. 1895 and were open coaches with longitudinal seats and end balconies. They were quite small being only 34 feet long over headstocks. D & P's are in 'The Brill Tramway' by  Bill Simpson ISBN 0860932184 (OPC).

Edited by PhilJ W

I have most of those books, and they are certainly on my list. I think I might have the Channel Ferry drawings somewhere, as I don't have that book but I do have Mike King's one with them in (i am also hoping to do other ferry and boat train stock)

• Like 1

Drewry built some railcars for the opening of the Bermuda Railway in 1931, but the original proposals were slightly diffrent, and in my view might suit a British light railway, even Colonel Stephens, if the price was right.

AllI had was a faded drawing, which had lelped me do the Bermuda units, and put back some mssing parts and came up withtwo versions, one marked as 1st class and the other as a composite. I think the composite could be developed further. They wre only 42ft long, ad had bogies, so could have coped with some tight curves.

drewry-motor-coach-1a.jpgdrewry-motor-coach-1b.jpgdrewry-motor-composite-coach-1a.jpgdrewry-motor-composite-coach-1b.jpg

They had a driving position at both ends, so could be run as a single units without turning., and could pull other coaches or wagons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is a drawing of the ammunition wagon usually attached to the rail mounted gun (as produced by Oxford Rail).

1 hour ago, Tony Cane said:

Hi

Just came across the topic having recently bought one of the models. Previous posts have mentioned other vehicles to go with the gun. Attached are parts scans of the ammunition wagon. Originally built built by The North Eastern Railway for WWI bur reused in WWII.

Two links that have interesting information on these guns that may not have been referenced before are

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/features/railway_howitzer_at_halwill/index.shtml

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/features/index6.shtml

Near the bottom of this URL are links to films of the guns

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/e/elham/

1066400754_ammowagon004small.jpg.d566801de4202c8b0ce35826a303fb4f.jpg586137782_ammowagon009small.jpg.bdb8d8f4cd96cf067a05a3769e0d90c9.jpg

Borrowed from another thread (Oxford rail gun).