The last Barclay

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress has been made; In fact I'm now at the stage of attempting to get the thing to work but I'm not confident.

post-494-0-68492100-1499530648.jpg

The tank assembly is finished and has had a coat of paint. The wheels are Gibson Barclay wheels that I have painted and blackened the treads of. They are ready to fit but stil need balance weights.I have noticed that the balance weights in the photos of the Stewarts & Lloyds 16" Barclays are completely different to those on the etched overlays in Arthur's photo and I am still waiting on the missing parts from Mercian but in the case of these, I'll have to make my own.

I have never used this type of wheels before and so I will have t speak nicely to 5050 and ask him to fit them for me, using his wheel press and quartering jig. I was going to use some old Romford wheels but the treads are wider and are nickel-plated and so don't look as good and won't take blacking as well as steel.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

It is now all together and running. Thank you to 5050 Paul for fitting the wheels with his press, and for making up the crank pins and pick ups. I met Trevor (Mr. Mercian kits) at the Foxfield, last week, and got the correct sandboxes at last. Regarding the wheel overlays mentioned earlier; they haven't been included in the kit for years, at least since Markits started making Barclay wheels.

It has taken me all day today to get the chassis into a running state but it does work, even if things are a little stiff.

I really ought to buy a rolling road to run locos in.

post-494-0-12024700-1501352973.jpg

The painting needs finishing, followed by couplings, name and works plates and, finally, weathering and crew figures. The slag ladles are another work-in-progress.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 7

Glad you got it working Dave.  I was a bit worried it might not have!  It'll look good with some weathering like in the photos.

Or all over wasp stripes........................

Thanks for posting that.. Interesting to notice that they had some sort of hinged cap for the chimney; I haven't noticed those on the pictures in the Irwell Press book ,so perhaps they were removed later (the film is 1962 and the photos in the book 1965)?

Thanks for posting that.. Interesting to notice that they had some sort of hinged cap for the chimney; I haven't noticed those on the pictures in the Irwell Press book ,so perhaps they were removed later (the film is 1962 and the photos in the book 1965)?

Only wasp stripes on the cabside Dave.

Phew!

BTW, nice film of Teddy Boston and his road roller.  He was a bit slimmer then than when I met him 10 years or more later.  The roller was still active and used often.  Some of my mates got to drive it.

Nice model Dave. I got back to Aussie and dug out my kits from storage - when I compared the 16" and 14" kits I have it left me more confused so I totally commend you on your construction!

I compared the 14" DJH offering and Mercian and they have totally different wheel bases and my 14" Mercian has a longer saddle tank than the 16".

Do any drawings exist of these beasts in railway modeller or such magazine to be able to figure out what is what?

James

Nice model Dave. I got back to Aussie and dug out my kits from storage - when I compared the 16" and 14" kits I have it left me more confused so I totally commend you on your construction!

I compared the 14" DJH offering and Mercian and they have totally different wheel bases and my 14" Mercian has a longer saddle tank than the 16".

Do any drawings exist of these beasts in railway modeller or such magazine to be able to figure out what is what?

James

Hi James,

I have just built the 7mm version of the Mercian 14" Barclay and have the 7mm 16" one also. The saddletank should definitely be shorter on the 14" one and lower if your 16" one is the late version.

Give us some photos and measurements of the kits and parts and I'm sure that between us all we can sort out what's what.

In other news, I have got the Barclay running smoothly now. I had been running it on just 14 inches of track on my workbench and it ran well in reverse but in forward it was good for a while but began to slow. I realised one of the crank pins was tightening itself by the time it got to the end of the track in forward, so by taking it off and putting it back with a bit of Loctite cured it.

• RMweb Gold

The plates from Narrow Planet arrived on Saturday, so with them fitted all that remained to do was to weather it and paint a couple of crew figures.

attachicon.gifBarclayFinished-007.jpg

attachicon.gifBarclayFinished-012.jpg

attachicon.gifBarclayFinished-011.jpg

I think you've that just right! Nice! The major difference between a 14" and the larger 16", is the frame portion running forward of the smokebox, down to the front headstock. 14" & smaller don't normally see this in real life.

The plates from Narrow Planet arrived on Saturday, so with them fitted all that remained to do was to weather it and paint a couple of crew figures.

BarclayFinished-007.jpg

BarclayFinished-012.jpg

BarclayFinished-011.jpg

Blimey! I thought I was looking at pictures of the real loco from the Ivo Peters film for a while just then! This really is a top notch model, you get a proper feel for the prototype, which a lot of models lack for whatever reason

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifBarclayFinished-007.jpg

attachicon.gifBarclayFinished-012.jpg

attachicon.gifBarclayFinished-011.jpg

That is excellent... I know the Ivory peters video and when I saw the post on 'how realistic...... I was immediately reminded of 'victor'.

Love the modelling and your perseverance.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

James

I'd like to second this request. The Mercian kit is now unavailable, as is the ABS, and I'm dammed if I'm giving DJH money ever again, so the only way to get a Barclay seems to be to scratchbuild. Does anyone know a source of drawings? (of either type or both) 

I'd like to second this request. The Mercian kit is now unavailable, as is the ABS, and I'm dammed if I'm giving DJH money ever again, so the only way to get a Barclay seems to be to scratchbuild. Does anyone know a source of drawings? (of either type or both) 

I can't help with drawings but I'm sure that with there being no (except for the DJH, which is basic and very expensive) Barclay 0-4-0ST available in 4mm someone among the modern kit manufacturers has got to have noticed this and is ready to fill that gap.

in this section of the forum there is a poll for suggestions for new kit or RTR industrial locomotives and in the 4mm steam category the Barclay 0-4-0ST has the most votes...

• RMweb Premium

I can't help with drawings but I'm sure that with there being no (except for the DJH, which is basic and very expensive) Barclay 0-4-0ST available in 4mm someone among the modern kit manufacturers has got to have noticed this and is ready to fill that gap.

in this section of the forum there is a poll for suggestions for new kit or RTR industrial locomotives and in the 4mm steam category the Barclay 0-4-0ST has the most votes...

Many thanks.

Nice model, too! 

You can always arrange to visit a preserved example and go armed with a tape measure, camera, notepad etc. When I was scratchbuilding narrow gauge diesels that's how I ued to do it. It's better in many ways than following a drawing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hattons have now announced their RTR Barclays. The obvious, to my mind, next industrial prototype to do.

I see they are doing both 14'' and 16'' locos. 

Will I buy one? Probably yes. I have a Mercian Models kit in my 'Loft Insulation'! But to quote my great friend Mike Wiltshire :-

'Sell something, buy that and build something else instead! We aren't getting any younger!!!!!!'

I'm now 60 and amazed I've got this far! I tend to agree with Mike!!!!

The job you have done with the kit, 'Ruston', is up to your usual superb standard.The open cab has put all sorts of ideas into my head!

Chris.

1) Ifyou search for Andrew Barclay & Sons Ltd archives you will get:

The National Archives.

Date: 1858-1970 Places:
  • Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
Functions, occupations and activities: Engineering: Mechanical > Railway equipment | Engineering: Mechanical > Mechanical engineering (general) Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C111955 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/B5956 ) View details of this record creator
Collections   Description Held by Reference Further information 1
Glasgow University Archive Services
GD 329
NRA 36388

2) Also if you Google Barclay locomotive drawings you will find a selection of drawings available.

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A

Glasgow University Business Archive at Thurso Street holds the Barclay Archive.

There are extensive drawing collections but beware it is not a simple job finding a GA drawing. The way Barclay worked was to have a basic drawing but to modify it for individual locomotives. By going through the drawing register you can identify individual locos and see what drawings are listed against each works number. Sometimes there might be a full set of details but no GA! and vice versa. Often there will be a reference to another similar loco with similar results.

You need to book ahead and indicate what you would like to see, they are very good, and the store man will locate the bundle and bring it for your inspection. Bear in mind that some of the drawings are quite big and some fragile and have that 'drawing smell'. Copies can be had but expensive and take some time, some of the archivists let you take a digital photo but not all.

Been there so speaking from experience!

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

That didnt age well....

Seriously, the Hattons model looks really good, and with more variations and liveries to come. 

Will I buy one? Probably yes. I have a Mercian Models kit in my 'Loft Insulation'! 

Chris, if you're looking to move it on, PM me - my kit cupboard could benefit from some insulation...

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor