Virtual Railfan webcams

NickBrad

Very few trains because of a derailment jamming things up elsewhere on the transcon meant this was the first eastbound (or any train) for hours yesterday.  Plus a nice little snowfall, and what a pretty scene.  Those little plows that US locomotives have seem to be working well... plus a boat load of power, and this is downhill direction meant this train wasn't creeping along but at near normal trackspeed.

1597982085_FlagstaffSnow.JPG.26c3291bdc6b566c757348e2672c1313.JPG

The Palmer one has changed its YT address...

Rail traffic there seems to be well down from the couple of times I've been there, but there is generally some interesting activity M-F from around 0830 local time when the New England Central exchanges traffic with CSX.  Massachusetts Central also puts in an appearance some days during the afternoon doing the same.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

The Palmer one has changed its YT address...

Rail traffic there seems to be well down from the couple of times I've been there, but there is generally some interesting activity M-F from around 0830 local time when the New England Central exchanges traffic with CSX.  Massachusetts Central also puts in an appearance some days during the afternoon doing the same.

That can happen if it goes down and doesn't have a fixed address, when it re-appears it can be different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fuelling from tankers - not seen this before.  Train just arrived, carried on past the refuelling point, three tankers rolling alongside, then all stopped and now fuelling.

Reason: it's a bl**dy long train, it wasn't obvious at first, but it it hauling a load of empties at the back so it is longer than 7000ft

image.png.f8c22a1a807853ed0c8df6a749ed1a0e.png

Edited by woodenhead
reason
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Fuelling from tankers - not seen this before.  Train just arrived, carried on past the refuelling point, three tankers rolling alongside, then all stopped and now fuelling.

Reason: it's a bl**dy long train, it wasn't obvious at first, but it it hauling a load of empties at the back so it is longer than 7000ft

Strange,

Amtrak regularly re-fuel from tankers on the platform at Tucson

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

This is something I want to reproduce on my planned layout. Small yard with no engine faciities just refueling etc from a truck. Adds operational interest in a limited space.

Lee

Edited by z4driver
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I suspect PSR is pushing train lengths to the point where they do not fit in yards and land alongside the fixed refuelling pads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I suspect PSR is pushing train lengths to the point where they do not fit in yards and land alongside the fixed refuelling pads.

great capture and something a bit different for modelling.  - I never seem to see much exciting when i have the Railcams on in the background. 

I wasn't aware that BNSF had adopted PSR yet.  Thought that Warren Buffet was hanging out for traditional improvements,  remember reading an article with his views on this .  However, 7000ft is just staggering for the length of these things.  

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2020/02/26-buffett-says-bnsf-has-improved-profitability-without-adopting-psr

Cheers

• Informative/Useful 2

Agreed.  It is interesting to hear the thoughts of Railfans of NS and CSX on YouTube who dislike the changes PSR has made to yard movements and frequency of trains from this.  But also, the loss of jobs and storage of locomotives.   

I guess seeing these units pass is staggering due to the sheer size, but as railfans, we all like variability of units and how these are formed. 

Cheers

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, GEOEng03 said:

Conrail took over failed operators back in the 80's. Made them profitable again. Think that's what is being referred to 

Cheers

And it still exists as a jointly owned subsidary of NS & CSX

• Agree 1