Virtual Railfan webcams

NickBrad

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of stored motive power around at the moment.

It's not unusual to see a line of 28 locos moving on block presumanly to be laid up until business improves. Most apart from the front and tail loco(s) have the exhaust capped.

• Like 1

I am only just getting into the history of North American railroads, but like you say, the history is quite fascinating and the shear scale of everything is just mind blowing as well.  I have seen pictures of Class 66's being pulled on flat wagons to their new homes! 

Cheers

6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Plenty of stored motive power around at the moment.

It's not unusual to see a line of 28 locos moving on block presumanly to be laid up until business improves. Most apart from the front and tail loco(s) have the exhaust capped.

What i found quite interesting was that CSX had chosen to warm store the new celebrity ET44 trio, only recently allowing them a brief run.  I know that they are storing and retiring all manner of locomotives, but to acquire and store new traction has always baffled me (i know all operators do this to some extent based on volume and flows that need it). 

It's amazing how some classes take off better than others as well. 

Cheers

Edited by GEOEng03
submitted too early - finished what I was saying!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A new location with two cameras has been added

It's at Roanoke VA at the Virginia Museum of Transportation.

PTZ cam

Static Cam:

You can supplement these two with another (Not VRF) camera on the Hotel Roanoke a short distance away:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hot on the heels of Roanoke is another new location: Fostoria OH

This is known as the "Iron Triangle" as three lines cross in a triangular fashion:

image.png.78021481d10021ed52217ed83854f439.png

PTZ :

Static:

This is intersting location as Railstream already have a pair of cameras there

PTZ: https://railstream.net/live-cameras/item/fostoria-oh-ptz-guest

Static: https://railstream.net/live-cameras/item/fostoria-oh-east-guest

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/05/2021 at 16:46, melmerby said:

You can supplement these two with another (Not VRF) camera on the Hotel Roanoke a short distance away:

The Hotel Roanoke one is a very good camera to watch after dark as the whole area is well lit. unlike several other online railcams.

There are several local freight services in the early hours and the mornings that still use cabooses for propelling movements as well.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/07/2021 at 05:15, Johann Marsbar said:

Progress Rail exports - 4 NG for Indonesia and 1 BG for Bangladesh past the Roanoke Cam yesterday......

1314667864_Screenshot2021-07-08at19-11-03HotelRoanokeRailCam.png.5c35a746cd11185180b5510f2b08b5d0.png

1221878641_Screenshot2021-07-08at19-11-46HotelRoanokeRailCam.png.ec077d9c485a01a82b69e57243e148e6.png

And some locos at the other end of life.

25 x 94/95xx series SD70MAC off to the giant engineyard in the sky:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Can't it stop itself? ☺

Sure, but as it's designed to haul +3000 ton trains at 60mph up hills a few extra wagons to help braking aren't that much of a difficulty for it, and every little helps

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, bimble said:

Sure, but as it's designed to haul +3000 ton trains at 60mph up hills a few extra wagons to help braking aren't that much of a difficulty for it, and every little helps

It's already got a 180 ton diesel, two auxillary tenders and it's support coaches.

How much more does it need? I wouldn't have thought 7 empty hoppers would make a lot of difference.

16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It's already got a 180 ton diesel, two auxillary tenders and it's support coaches.

How much more does it need? I wouldn't have thought 7 empty hoppers would make a lot of difference.

It's an official UP loco, they may well have tagged them on as they needed moving... 

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Certainly not an expert on this, but this is what I have read and found.

Locos are very bad at braking(*), and as such loco only movements have restricted speed limits that reflect their inability to stop effectively.  Thus rarely will railroads run locos on their own - can't find the picture at the moment but VIA sent a loco out to pick up a disabled coach that had been set out and the loco took 2 or 3 coaches with it to have sufficient braking ability that it could travel at line speed.

As for Big Boy, when they were moving it for restoration the train movement had ten hoppers in addition to the diesel to have sufficient braking power - remembering that Big Boy weighs in at 450 tons

https://www.trains.com/trn/train-basics/ask-trains/big-boy-braking-power/

So, the diesel can be eliminated as it's weight means it doesn't have sufficient stopping power to help and actually likely makes things worse.  The support coaches, auxillary tender, and caboose don't come up to 10 in this movement, so it would appear the hoppers are needed.

Now perhaps add in this - a comment on this website indicates steam locos don't use the brakes on the loco at all, just the brakes on the rest of the train.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/union-pacific-steam-shop-update?page=3

*- the exception is dynamic braking, but that doesn't help in an emergency - but that is why 4015 is in the consist to provide dynamic brakes going downhill through the Rockies or any other steeper grades.