Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

• RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2022 at 18:23, adb968008 said:

I want 2x SWR class 159’s they run close by hourly at least to me.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a 2 car 159!

The 2 car units operated by SWT and then SWR are all class 158s. They were swapped with Turbostars so the SWT diesel fleet was much more alike and to simplify Maintenace.

In NSE days the ONLY fleet they had were the 3 car 159s - and the only reason the 159s were called 159s in the first place is NSE wanted their 'own' class - not just a sub class of the 158 fleet for their re-equiped 'West of England' route.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

As far as I know there is no such thing as a 2 car 159!

The 2 car units operated by SWT and then SWR are all class 158s. They were swapped with Turbostars so the SWT diesel fleet was much more alike and to simplify Maintenace.

In NSE days the ONLY fleet they had were the 3 car 159s - and the only reason the 159s were called 159s in the first place is NSE wanted their 'own' class - not just a sub class of the 158 fleet for their re-equiped 'West of England' route.

I think maybe has speed read my post, I never said 2 car 159… certainly not at £900.
They run in 6’s, 8’s or 9’s past me at Wimbledon.

Hence I want 2 x 159’s, but not at £900 for a pair.

There are a few differences between 158 and 159… 158 are a mix of Cummins (upto 158815)/ then Perkins engines, class  159 is all Perkins.

The seating is different too, 158’s DMSL having 68 seats and a BT Cardphone booth installed as new, plus space for a catering trolley.

The 159’s dispensed with such luxuries and went for extra 2nd seats in the DMSL, and more first class in the DMCL.. 24 first vs 15 first in the 158.

The 3 car 158’s built for TPE had Cummins engines, vs the 3 Car 159 are Perkins… which is why today those 158/8 3 cars

from TPE services are now 159/1’s.

Bachmann has reflected the 1st class seating in the NSE interior, but not the revised seating, hence the provincial 158 does not have the phone booth / catering area in it’s DMSL or the Green “Phonecard” label that was on the window. 

If I can find it I do have a leaflet from Regional Railways ScotRail (yes not Scotrail) from 1989’s introduction with details on the new services, and photos of the units and their interior… the idea of a phone on a train was like “wow” to me then… only to find it cost 50p minimum to make that call !..

I later saw the 159’s but not the phone booth… southerners are obviously wealthier than northerners to want more first class, but too tight to pay to use the phone I guess .

The 159’s were built as 158 spec but converted in Rosyth, Scotland, so an NSE 158 going and NSE 159 return in Scotland was seen, I saw my first pair in Preston on transfer… they didnt have set numbers painted on at the time, just carriage numbers.. 5287x/587x/577x so they were identified as 158’s briefly until full conversion. Looking at my (1990) spotting book I wrote in the margins 158882/158890* which would later become 159010 and 159018. I could only afford a p5 every 2 years in those days, so this would date this move (and renumbering) as early 1992..if someone has a 1991 P5 maybe they could check, but they were definitely 159’s in 1992.

2nd Gen unit numbering isnt hard to follow.. it goes in hundreds..

150/0

150/1

150/2

155/3 (later 153/3)

156/4

156/5 strathcylde

157/6 ( canceled was supposed to be Strathclyde commuter units) - A diesel version of class 323

158/7

158/8 (from 815 was Perkins engines)

158/9 wypte

159/0 nse

nothing sinister, just keeps the 2nd gen sprinter numbering easy to follow for compatibility… lost of 1st gen units still dotted about.

* not to be confused with 158882 (ex 158743) and 158890 (ex 158814) which were also SWT 158 converts in 2007.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Just a follow up, a picture I found on flickr, it says its 1993, and you can see no set numbers, but I think this maybe 1992.

Taken at Crewe..

159013 25.02.1993

(Flickr URL, not my image)…

all this reminiscing, I might keep that 3 car NSE now !  (I was thinking to turn it into a GWR 3 car and swap with an extra DMSL body in the centre).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 21/11/2022 at 18:23, adb968008 said:

i also have the latest NSE 3 car 159, which I decided was an era too far away, so ive been trying to sell it all summer for a princely £220 (rrp £399), with no interest at all, and retailers all over still have them.

£450 for a 3 car .. bit too rich for me, let alone £900 on two. 
unfortunately i’m reaching the ceiling on what i’ll spend

In the same boat. I bought the NSE 159 second hand with intention to respray it into SWR and home make the decals. As soon as the announcement was made earlier in the year I tried to flog it, no luck. Glad I've still ahold of mine, and got a few detail reference pictures when they would come in for bogie overhauls at BM depot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2022 at 10:27, adb968008 said:

I think maybe has speed read my post, I never said 2 car 159… certainly not at £900.
They run in 6’s, 8’s or 9’s past me at Wimbledon.

Hence I want 2 x 159’s, but not at £900 for a pair.

There are a few differences between 158 and 159… 158 are a mix of Cummins (upto 158815)/ then Perkins engines, class  159 is all Perkins.

The seating is different too, 158’s DMSL having 68 seats and a BT Cardphone booth installed as new, plus space for a catering trolley.

The 159’s dispensed with such luxuries and went for extra 2nd seats in the DMSL, and more first class in the DMCL.. 24 first vs 15 first in the 158.

The 3 car 158’s built for TPE had Cummins engines, vs the 3 Car 159 are Perkins… which is why today those 158/8 3 cars

from TPE services are now 159/1’s.

Bachmann has reflected the 1st class seating in the NSE interior, but not the revised seating, hence the provincial 158 does not have the phone booth / catering area in it’s DMSL or the Green “Phonecard” label that was on the window. 

If I can find it I do have a leaflet from Regional Railways ScotRail (yes not Scotrail) from 1989’s introduction with details on the new services, and photos of the units and their interior… the idea of a phone on a train was like “wow” to me then… only to find it cost 50p minimum to make that call !..

I later saw the 159’s but not the phone booth… southerners are obviously wealthier than northerners to want more first class, but too tight to pay to use the phone I guess .

The 159’s were built as 158 spec but converted in Rosyth, Scotland, so an NSE 158 going and NSE 159 return in Scotland was seen, I saw my first pair in Preston on transfer… they didnt have set numbers painted on at the time, just carriage numbers.. 5287x/587x/577x so they were identified as 158’s briefly until full conversion. Looking at my (1990) spotting book I wrote in the margins 158882/158890* which would later become 159010 and 159018. I could only afford a p5 every 2 years in those days, so this would date this move (and renumbering) as early 1992..if someone has a 1991 P5 maybe they could check, but they were definitely 159’s in 1992.

2nd Gen unit numbering isnt hard to follow.. it goes in hundreds..

150/0

150/1

150/2

155/3 (later 153/3)

156/4

156/5 strathcylde

157/6 ( canceled was supposed to be Strathclyde commuter units) - A diesel version of class 323

158/7

158/8 (from 815 was Perkins engines)

158/9 wypte

159/0 nse

nothing sinister, just keeps the 2nd gen sprinter numbering easy to follow for compatibility… lost of 1st gen units still dotted about.

* not to be confused with 158882 (ex 158743) and 158890 (ex 158814) which were also SWT 158 converts in 2007.

FYI, All the 159/1s are Cummins engines. Only 158815 – 158862 (all 2 car units and largely concentrated on Cardiff Canton though others have since escaped to Northern & EMR) were fitted with the Perkins 2006-TWH engine (the same as fitted to the 165 / 166 fleets). The /1 subclass only came about as there were a small number of differences between the standard 159/0s (Toilet retention tanks, 400HP engines etc) vs the incoming ex TPE Units (No retention tanks, Cummins 350HP engines). 

I believe SWR have started to standardise engines at Salisbury now, concentrating on the NTA855-R1 (350HP) engine as there's next to no difference in performance and a slight fuel saving advantage. And more in the way of spares. 

The 158/159 engines are as follows 

Cummins NTA855-R1: 260 kW (350 hp) 

Cummins NTA855-R3: 300 kW (400 hp) 

Perkins 2006-TWH: 260 kW (350 hp) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I have seen some videos of the ScotRail ones, they look great. If I wasn't clinging onto the hope of a Northern one I think I'd have had one.

It’s just a matter of time…

so I guess more time to budget.

The WYPTE Metro train livery was a big and pleasant surprise for me. 

Edited by richierich
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, richierich said:

The WYPTE Metro train livery was a big and pleasant surprise for me. 

If I had been modelling early 90s, which would be my 2nd choice after 2019-present, I'd have been delighted with that one. Being over near Scarborough I remember the Express and Metro ones well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

If I had been modelling early 90s, which would be my 2nd choice after 2019-present, I'd have been delighted with that one. Being over near Scarborough I remember the Express and Metro ones well.

I model BR Sector Period so mid 80s to mid 90s when BR was sold off. 

At least in this period Scarborough still had freight up to 1992 with the oil tanks. Although pick up freight ceased in 1983. 

Although imagine you could do with someone to produce a decent Class 155 model, a Class 170 3 car in Northern livery and a Siemens Class 185. 

Anyway this is off topic…

Edited by richierich
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, richierich said:

Although imagine you could do with someone to produce a decent Class 155 model, a Class 170 3 car in Northern livery and a Siemens Class 185. 

Definitely. Especially the 185 and 170.

But an appropriate 158 is also one I am mad keen for!

They arrived about 4 o'clock on Thursday night and all sold by lunch time today! Anybody thinking about ScotRail version should act now as I can these going for silly money on eBay in the very near future. Mine has gone to Santa and he better not stick it on ebay😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I have seen some videos of the ScotRail ones, they look great. If I wasn't clinging onto the hope of a Northern one I think I'd have had one.

I was surprised not to see the Northern one in this release. I really thought it would of been there. Like you I'd like to see a Northern one and hopefully we shall soon 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having already purchased RR 158849 on release, I was wondering if I needed the new 'express' 158761. But it's testimony to just how gorgeous the new model is that I've caved in and spent £280 on a very similar model to what I've got. But the two should look very nice next to each other.

I can't help but wax lyrical about how highly I rate the new 158. We've been treated in recent times to some exquisite new models from many different manufacturers, but for me this one is the benchmark, similar to how I used to see the Hornby 60.

It's out of my era, but if (I would assume when) Bachmann release a central trains liveried example, I'm pretty sure I would have to put in some overtime and snap one of those up too, purely for nostalgia, I used to catch these daily when I was at university, I thought the class wore the colours really well.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Benjamin Brady said:

I was surprised not to see the Northern one in this release. I really thought it would of been there. Like you I'd like to see a Northern one and hopefully we shall soon 

I’m sure they know how popular it is and have it in their pocket.

TfW I would imagine being popular too.

On 12/12/2022 at 07:27, adb968008 said:

I’m sure they know how popular it is and have it in their pocket.

TfW I would imagine being popular too.

Well I've got a 158 in for respray at the moment into TfW. What I'll do is let Bachmann know when it arrives all finished so the can announce theirs. Plenty of other Welsh flavours that'd be very welcome in the mean time. Ex Alphaline silver please!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 11/12/2022 at 10:50, Foden said:

Having already purchased RR 158849 on release, I was wondering if I needed the new 'express' 158761. But it's testimony to just how gorgeous the new model is that I've caved in and spent £280 on a very similar model to what I've got. But the two should look very nice next to each other.

I can't help but wax lyrical about how highly I rate the new 158. We've been treated in recent times to some exquisite new models from many different manufacturers, but for me this one is the benchmark, similar to how I used to see the Hornby 60.

It's out of my era, but if (I would assume when) Bachmann release a central trains liveried example, I'm pretty sure I would have to put in some overtime and snap one of those up too, purely for nostalgia, I used to catch these daily when I was at university, I thought the class wore the colours really well.

Agreed it is a nice model, finished well and miles better than their old 158 which was very toy like in comparison. Recently Multiple units have been given better treatment and some fine models have come out. Pity no 158s every made it onto GWML branches,  but remember the Regional Express / Alphaline ones on the SWML in the 90s out of Waterloo - could this be an excuse?!

NL

15 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Agreed it is a nice model, finished well and miles better than their old 158 which was very toy like in comparison. Recently Multiple units have been given better treatment and some fine models have come out. Pity no 158s every made it onto GWML branches,  but remember the Regional Express / Alphaline ones on the SWML in the 90s out of Waterloo - could this be an excuse?!

NL

Were they not used to Weymouth from Bristol/Cardiff at least for a while too?

13 hours ago, GordonC said:

Were they not used to Weymouth from Bristol/Cardiff at least for a while too?

I have a feeling that started under Wessex. Don't forget for some time, Bristol - Weymouth was in the hands of loco haulage, before being replaced by 150/2s. Since then, it's been anything from 150/1s, 150/2s, 153s, 158s and HSTs to the present day mix of 158s, 165s and 166s. Lucky passengers who get a 2 car 165 along that route now! 

9 hours ago, surfsup said:

I have a feeling that started under Wessex. Don't forget for some time, Bristol - Weymouth was in the hands of loco haulage, before being replaced by 150/2s. Since then, it's been anything from 150/1s, 150/2s, 153s, 158s and HSTs to the present day mix of 158s, 165s and 166s. Lucky passengers who get a 2 car 165 along that route now! 

Was it not in the hands of Class 155s and then 158s before going back to loco haulage?