Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, richierich said:

Must really tight curves for the couple to collide?

Not really. All over the railway network, the increase in vehicle length from 20 m to 23m required considerable examination and often expensive remedial works to enable their use.  Increased end-throw and side-throw within the kinematic envelope was a significant consideration before any route could be cleared.. 

18 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Not really. All over the railway network, the increase in vehicle length from 20 m to 23m required considerable examination and often expensive remedial works to enable their use.  Increased end-throw and side-throw within the kinematic envelope was a significant consideration before any route could be cleared.. 

If I recall correctly the class 166 and 165 units also have slightly wider bodies than most other 23m vehicles. Something to do with the Thames valley routes BR built them for having a slightly more generous loading gauge (ex-broad gauge perhaps?)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Is it me or does the top of the cab windscreens look incorrect on the latest tooling version? compared to the old tooling model and the real thing as to me it looks like it’s got a slight curve on the older tooling model and the real thing but on the latest tooling the top of the windscreen frame looks flat.

DD7DDA71-5C92-4279-876F-910E4E5EB508.jpeg

6423CD9F-CC87-4F35-9179-0BB6CD4C204A.png

9F208D21-A565-4003-B16D-2699F53B4631.png

• Agree 2

On 22/12/2023 at 18:16, piranha240 said:

the real thing as to me it looks like it’s got a slight curve on the older tooling model and the real thing but on the latest tooling the top of the windscreen frame looks flat.

I agree having just held my phone at an angle and looked down the line in question on the photos.

If that's the only inaccuracy on the model then it's a darn good one, however.

4 hours ago, Ravel said:

I think the issue is that on the model the door rubber isn't as "flappy" as the real thing, this gives the impression the distance between top of the corridor connection and the roof is too high on the model.

I don't think that's what they are getting at, although the rubbers maybe do need to look a bit more compressed and flappy if I am being fussy. This is what they are on about.

Screenshot_20231224_225856_Chrome.jpg.24bc58d9566e4a21d26362681d47f037.jpg

Screenshot_20231224_225919_Chrome.jpg.dd77c5a5caf4d2d287cfdbf0a9bd4000.jpg

The real thing looks to have a very large radius curve (probably about 10 metres radius by skeg of the eye) whereas the model looks straight.

• 3 weeks later...

The 2nd and 3rd photo shows the destination LED following the roof line.

The 1st and last photo show the destination LED with a much bigger gap and "falling away" from the roof line towards the middle of the unit.

It would appear the actual unit is much more like the 1st and last photo but not sure which photos are of the new model as there's two different ones here.

I think it's just the difference in livery and whether or not the orange line follows the roof or not that makes it appear that way. In two photographs the orange line follows the roof, in the others it drops down to the top of the door.

11 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

The 2nd and 3rd photo shows the destination LED following the roof line.

The 1st and last photo show the destination LED with a much bigger gap and "falling away" from the roof line towards the middle of the unit.

It would appear the actual unit is much more like the 1st and last photo but not sure which photos are of the new model as there's two different ones here.

I dont think either are the new model from the lights and livery

Maybe figured it out.

In this picture, the yellow on the front is more flat, so the middle is just above the gangway doors.  There is blue on the front of the train here.

In other pictures, the yellow is much "taller" and follows the shape of the roof, making an almost semi-circle.  There is no blue on the front, perhaps a smidgin of grey/black but not as much as the other.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know which CVs control the brightness of the destination displays and the interior lighting. Mine are really dim.

Also, I'd like to add the interior lights to work with F0 so that at exhibitions people don't forget to turn them on (or on again after a trip).

Hopefully someone else has worked out how to do these things. I normally use ESU decoders and its easy to do all the above on a Lokprogrammer.

Thanks in advance

Jeremy 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, a quick question!

Just been catching up on this thread and had a few questions. It was briefly touched upon on the two engine types in these units (perkins / cummins). Is it easy to determine which units have which type of engine? Also can anyone confirm if there is 2 versions of the sound file from Bachmann to reflect this? Or is there just one generic file on the factory fitted examples? Or is it one engine type or the other?

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Hi all, a quick question!

Just been catching up on this thread and had a few questions. It was briefly touched upon on the two engine types in these units (perkins / cummins). Is it easy to determine which units have which type of engine? Also can anyone confirm if there is 2 versions of the sound file from Bachmann to reflect this? Or is there just one generic file on the factory fitted examples? Or is it one engine type or the other?

Thanks in advance

158701 - 158814 Cummins NTA855-R1

158815 - 158862 Perkins 2006 TW-H

158863 - 158872 Cummins NTA855-R3

158901 - 158910 Cummins NTA855-R1

159001 - 159022 Cummins NTA855-R3

159/1  Cummins NTA855-R1 - these are ex Transpenine 158’s.

also beware the mongrels..

158880-890 these are 158 2 car renumbers for SWR with Cummins NTA855-R1

and 158950-959 which are 3 cars (the 3rd car being a split up 2 car inserted into the set of a 2 car), Cummins NTA855-R1

The odd ball is the 158/9’s having an R1 engine despite the higher number, it was simply because of the number.. the 158/9’s entered service earlier and built alongside the earlier ones, I have pictures of 158/9’s in Manchester on their first day of service, and 158758 on test as new same day.

Finally 158999… the spare body shells.

The Perkins 2006-TW-H is used on the class 165 / 166 as well.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 4