Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

2 hours ago, GordonC said:

Was it not in the hands of Class 155s and then 158s before going back to loco haulage?

Possibly 155s, certainly 150s. The 158s were kept to the more premier routes in the earlier days. Weymouth appears to have largely escaped 158s until the Wales & West / Wessex Trains era (as in your photos above - note the small Wales & West branding on the 150 and SWT liveried slammer in the background), predominately being a mix of Loco Hauled then Sprinterisation then Loco Hauled & Sprinters (the Reggie Rail 37/4s certainly ran down there in the mid to late 90s). 

A quick look at Flickr even suggests the somewhat rare, and rather comfortable, visit of a Laria based 101 at one point! 

Rare RR livery DMU at Westbury

150247 & 270 at Weymouth (31 July 1992)

(Speaking of which, come on Bachmann, isn't it about time the 101 made an appearance in Reggie Rail too?!)  

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I’ve just had to return my Scotrail 158 . Ran excessively noisily using Gaugemaster analogue Controller (model DS) . Apparently these models have coreless motors and are known to run very noisily on certain Analogue Controllers . I do have other coreless motors in Caley 812 and Precedent , both of which are fine , so it must be something with these specific motors . 

Very disappointing . 

Correction the motor on this model is not coreless . However my initial problem remains the same . It runs very noisily 

Edited by Legend
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, Legend said:

Well I’ve just had to return my Scotrail 158 . Ran excessively noisily using Gaugemaster analogue Controller (model DS) . Apparently these models have coreless motors and are known to run very noisily on certain Analogue Controllers . I do have other coreless motors in Caley 812 and Precedent , both of which are fine , so it must be something with these specific motors . 

Very disappointing . 

It's not a coreless motor, as the specification tells us.

MECHANISM:

EACH TWO-CAR UNIT COMPRISES TWO POWERED VEHICLES WITH THE FOLLOWING FEATURES:

Three pole motor with flywheel providing drive to the inner bogie

Twin axle drive

Separate metal bearings fitted to each driven axle

Trailing axles run in metal pinpoint bearings

Electrical pickup from all wheels

Diecast metal, multi-stage gearbox, with gearing arranged for prototypical running speeds and haulage capabilities

16.5mm (OO gauge) wheels to NEM310 & NEM311 standards with authentic profile and detailing

Working miniature BSI Couplings at the cab end

Conductive couplings with integral close coupling mechanism at the inner end

Designed to operate on curves of second radius (438mm) or greater

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Sometimes things arent what you think…

and the fix….can be stranger than fiction

Thanks adb968008 . Interestingly the Class 20 was mentioned by the retailer . Seems all might not be as it seems . The only trouble is the 158 looks a complicated piece of machinery . I’m not even sure how to get into it . So think it will have to go back . My quandary is now should I get a replacement ? Would be interested in anyone else’s experiences running the 158 on analogue and whether anyone has already fixed it on the 158 . Seems once again I’m spectacularly unlucky! 

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Legend said:

Thanks adb968008 . Interestingly the Class 20 was mentioned by the retailer . Seems all might not be as it seems . The only trouble is the 158 looks a complicated piece of machinery . I’m not even sure how to get into it . So think it will have to go back . My quandary is now should I get a replacement ? Would be interested in anyone else’s experiences running the 158 on analogue and whether anyone has already fixed it on the 158 . Seems once again I’m spectacularly unlucky! 

Its an odd position I agree. But consider your using a Bachmann loco with a non-Bachmann controller. Whilst its compatible, it is consumer choice, not industry standards thats being applied, so Bachmann arent obliged to conform to another vendors product beyond the common industry standards ( 12v, DC split rail etc etc)… we essentially take it for granted.

I my case I engaged Bachmann, Gaugemaster and the retailer. 

Rightly, Bachmann said it was the controller, but couldn't offer any further advice. But left me with a quandry as they weren't for a return, as they felt it wasn't faulty. The retailer was in quandry  too. (with apparently a number like it).

After discussing with gaugemaster they did investigate and came back to me about the pulse, and also that the pulse was not damaging to the motor. So the controller was not at fault either.

Thats what lead me to the different tests and the first video.

I did some research reading on the subject, to learn pulse, frequency, coreless, non-coreless, feedback etc. i discovered Morley controllers along the way and how Pulse controllers gives the motor, its voltage in waves. (pulse is not feedback. feedback controllers return to the controller to adjust the controllers outputs) . Ive since spent a day building my own battery powered controller with a rheostat (using resistance for speed control) just for fun with my daughter ! 

At that point, not being an expert, but sufficiently armed and dangerous, knowing its a noisy loco, as an effect of a pulse of the controller, that the motor amp draw was even between both quiet and noisy class 20’s, as was performance then something environmental to that 1 class 20 must be causing it.

As Pulse is a wave, a wave by nature is a vibration, so the thing vibrating is the motor. Stop or dampen the vibration would solve the issue. Most loco motors are retained in some fashion, sometimes too restrained to the detriment of performance. In the 20’s case I felt it was less restrained, and nudging it in its cradle solved the problem.

Whilst I agree manufacturers could be more helpful, I can see why they need be cautious on commenting on other vendors products. At the same time as a consumer I can see why one would be concerned at something looking abnormal in behaviour that is denied by vendors. I guess thats why forums like this exist to impartially fill that void with knowledge learned.

The retailer simply shared my videos and the rmweb post at the time.

Ive not got my 158 yet, but my reading of your post sounds like this maybe another example. My take from it, is if its the same issue, its probably harmless as every motor is doing it. Its just that motors themselves are usually constrained or dampening that sound. 

coming to the 158..

i’d start with the 9v battery test… its straight voltage, no pulse, so no vibration… if it runs silently then i’d say its QED at that point and decide how you want to play it.. fix or return.

The body of a 158 unclips, its a little tight, but theres 4 lugs to lift the chassis over, two each side, inside of the doors. I use a hotel key, or a credit card as a wedge to keep the lugs uncovered whilst I do the other sides.

Remove the chassis from the exhaust end is easier imo. Once open you need to unscrew the seats to access the motor compartment. Place on the track and copy testing as I did. I’m only guessing, but it could be the motor is just touching a bodyside, or underside of the seat and echoing the vibration sound.

Obviously if your uncomfortable with it, return to the retailer, but theres chance if it is the same issue as above, they could say its a non faulty return and charge for the return.

let us know how you get on, or if you find its a different issue / resolution please let us know. please share a video, it maybe helpful in diagnosing if its a whole different issue.

We take for granted compatibility with our own home built systems, when under the hood theres many more variables than standards to manage them.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its an odd position I agree. But consider your using a Bachmann loco with a non-Bachmann controller. Whilst its compatible, it is consumer choice, not industry standards thats being applied, so Bachmann arent obliged to confirm to another vendors product beyond the common industry standards ( 12v, DC split rail etc etc).

I engaged Bachmann, Gaugemaster and the retailer. 

Rightly, Bachmann said it was the controller, but couldn't offer any further advice. But left me with a quandry as they weren't for a return, as they felt it wasn't faulty. The retailer was in quandry  too. (with apparently a number like it).

After discussing with gaugemaster they did investigate and came back to me about the pulse, and also that the pulse was not damaging to the motor. So the controller was not at fault either.

I did some research reading on the subject, to learn pulse, frequency, coreless, non-coreless, feedback etc. i discovered Morley controllers along the way and how Pulse controllers gives the motor, its voltage in waves. (pulse is not feedback. feedback controllers return to the controller to adjust the controllers outputs) . Ive since spent a day building my own battery powered controller with a rheostat (using resistance for speed control) just for fun with my daughter ! 

At that point, not being an expert, but sufficiently armed and dangerous, knowing its a noisy loco, as an effect of a pulse of the controller, that the motor amp draw was even between both quiet and noisy class 20’s, as was performance then something environmental to that 1 class 20 must be causing it.

As Pulse is a wave, a wave by nature is a vibration, so the thing vibrating is the motor. Stop or dampen the vibration would solve the issue. Most loco motors are retained in some fashion, sometimes too restrained to the detriment of performance. In the 20’s case I felt it was less restrained, and nudging it in its cradle solved the problem.

Whilst I agree manufacturers could be more helpful, I can see why they need be cautious on commenting on other vendors products. At the same time as a consumer I can see why one would be concerned at something looking abnormal in behaviour that is denied by vendors. I guess thats why forums like this exist to impartially fill that void with knowledge learned.

Ive not got my 158 yet, but my reading of your post sounds like this maybe another example. My take from it, is if its the same issue, its probably harmless as every motor is doing it. Its just that motors themselves are usually constrained or dampening that sound. 

coming to the 158..

i’d start with the 9v battery test… its straight voltage, no pulse, so no vibration… if it runs silently then i’d say its QED at that point and decide how you want to play it.. fix or return.

The body of a 158 unclips, its a little tight, but theres 4 lugs to lift the chassis over, two each side, inside of the doors. I use a hotel key, or a credit card as a wedge to keep the lugs uncovered whilst I do the other sides.

Remove the chassis from the exhaust end is easier imo. Once open you need to unscrew the seats to access the motor compartment. Place on the track and copy testing as I did. I’m only guessing, but it could be the motor is just touching a bodyside, or underside of the seat and echoing the vibration sound.

Obviously if your uncomfortable with it, return to the retailer, but theres chance if it is the same issue as above, they could say its a non faulty return and charge for the return.

let us know how you get on, or if you find its a different issue / resolution please let us know. please share a video, it maybe helpful in diagnosing if its a whole different issue.

We take for granted compatibility with our own home built systems, when under the hood theres many more variables than standards to manage them.

Many thanks Adb968008 . What an extremely helpful and informative post and indeed shows RMWeb at its best . Thank you for taking the time to reply .  I will try the 9v battery test tomorrow  to try and ascertain if it is the pulse that’s causing the issue . The retailer is engaged , has been extremely helpful , and also following this with interest .  I’m hoping he may test another model tomorrow to see if it’s any better , although he clearly already had experience of other models and zeroed in on the issue . It may be that some motors are better seated than others , but that’s sheer supposition at this point. If the  9v battery test is successful then I will take it from there . 

The key is that the pulse is not damaging the motor  which was my concern .  The noise is terrible ,not what you would expect from a brand new £280 model. I thought it may actually be stripping the gears it’s that bad, so it may yet go back .  I will investigate . I’m just surprised no one else has had this issue . I’d say Gaugemaster is probably the most common controller for model railway enthusiasts and while I agree that Bachmann can’t test against every controller you might have thought this issue would have emerged before now. Otherwise we must all be running Bachmann locos using Bachmann controllers on Bachmann track to be reassured . This I really doubt and I don’t think Bachmann could plausibly sell models on that basis. 

As an aside , you mentioned Morley Controllers . What did you find with them? Do they have the same pulse issues . Reason for asking is that I have been considering them for a new Vectron Controller , although they have a shortage of components at the moment so I think there’s a waiting list. As I said that’s just out of interest and not directly related to the 158 . 

Thanks once again for your input .

Edited by Legend
Added images

• RMweb Gold

I’d reccomend a read of this thread, I learned a lot from this and goes a long way to explain whats going on. The first video is 30 minutes but really educational.

I think key is the 9v battery test, if its still a bag of nails, then something else maybe going on.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2022 at 17:33, adb968008 said:

Its an odd position I agree. But consider your using a Bachmann loco with a non-Bachmann controller. Whilst its compatible, it is consumer choice, not industry standards thats being applied, so Bachmann arent obliged to conform to another vendors product beyond the common industry standards ( 12v, DC split rail etc etc)… we essentially take it for granted.

I my case I engaged Bachmann, Gaugemaster and the retailer. 

coming to the 158..

Ok , so update on noisy Bachmann 158 . Thanks to Adb968008 for his very helpful input . I tried running using the 9v battery test . I think this showed the model was just as noisy . I attach video below . Apologies not easy applying a battery to model  and holding iPhone at the same time ! 

The model has motors in both coaches , but both have to be coupled to run . While I think both are noisy it maybe that one car has a particularly high resonance than the other .  But I think this shows by applying the 9v battery that it’s not the Gaugemaster pulse that’s making this noisy . 

I’ve listened to this so much now I’m not sure if I’m imagining things but to me most noise appears to be emanating from the lead car here the 52xxx one .

Just out of curiosity I took the model round to a friend whose son has a layout powered by a Hornby Controller , I think it’s an HM5000, the standard black one anyway, and the unit was just as noisy .  My friends son also thought one car was noisier than other .

So I think what I’m faced with is that this is just a noisy model , rather than it being anything to do with pulses from controller unless it dislikes both Gaugemaster and Hornby Controllers 

The retailer has been very helpful and already authorised return for a credit , as he says the others will be the same . He has offered a replacement but will video it first to show me how noisy it is ( as he says they are all like that) . There’s no point sticking it in the post if the replacement is exactly the same as the first .

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/12/2022 at 19:59, curlypaws said:

My ScotRail DCC sound fitted model also has a distinct rattle from the lead car when running. Turning on the DCC sound hides it, but it seems like there may be some truth to the statement that 'they are all like that'.

Had to return mine as well with similar noise issues. It was also struggling to keep up speed in turns (motor seameded to work hard).

Should have kept my Regional version of the first batch which had no problems at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2023 at 17:29, TomMcG said:

Had to return mine as well with similar noise issues. It was also struggling to keep up speed in turns (motor seameded to work hard).

Should have kept my Regional version of the first batch which had no problems at all.

I finally had chance To run my Spotrail 158 this week. When I tested on DC I thought it was a bit loud (on a Hornby H&M controller which I think does

something funky with the wave?) but on DCC it has run reasonably sweetly - not as quiet as some but not particularly rattly. Might suggest that not all of them are noisy if our

perceptions of what is acceptable are the same.

M

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Northern Blue and Purple would have been a good choice

I'd have rather had the later white livery, but might still have bitten with a purple/blue one. They did make a blue and purple one a few years back though.

are coming, given why do a production run for just one model?

Get the feeling this was tagged with the other run of Express 158s... 

I presume that this Welsh one is tagged onto the back of the ones already in the shops, but given I aren't interested in buying it I haven't seen when it is due. If it's due in March/April, maybe not?

On the ATW one, how much stock is there to run with this? I'd have thought a better option would be the newer white/red livery so there's at least 67/mk4s and a 153 IIRC to go with. Likewise the chances of having 231s in matching livery is fairly high given Hornby are on with 755. I expect most of the stock to run with the ATW one is more WCML based?

I do wonder though sometimes how much attention Bachmann pay to timelines in privatisation. They categorise it as one era (9), everyone else breaks it down into 3 (9, 10, 11). To them, is somebody like me who is only interested in Era 11 say from Hornby, going to be looking at anything Era 9, such as a Northern Spirit 158 to run with an LNER Azuma? I did feed this back to them in their Club survey.

Era 9 in Bachmanns eyes is about 28 years IIRC. That's like combining Era's 6, 7 and 8 if you wind the clock back from 1995 instead of forwards.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, TomScrut said:

On the ATW one, how much stock is there to run with this? I'd have thought a better option would be the newer white/red livery so there's at least 67/mk4s and a 153 IIRC to go with. Likewise the chances of having 231s in matching livery is fairly high given Hornby are on with 755. I expect most of the stock to run with the ATW one is more WCML based?

I do wonder though sometimes how much attention Bachmann pay to timelines in privatisation. They categorise it as one era (9), everyone else breaks it down into 3 (9, 10, 11). To them, is somebody like me who is only interested in Era 11 say from Hornby, going to be looking at anything Era 9, such as a Northern Spirit 158 to run with an LNER Azuma? I did feed this back to them in their Club survey.

Era 9 in Bachmanns eyes is about 28 years IIRC. That's like combining Era's 6, 7 and 8 if you wind the clock back from 1995 instead of forwards.

Still a reasonable amount of stock I would say. Hornby has done ATW 67/mk3 set and 153's while Bachmann has done 150's and an older 158 and Realtrack have done Pacers. With the franchise finishing in 2018 you can have FGW and GWR for South Wales with GWR 800's, 158's and HST's along side Cross Country 170's so I would say all of the routes are covered.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2023 at 06:36, TomScrut said:

The subject of Era's has always been an emotive one amongst those who have a very good understanding of railway history. 

Such a scheme was first suggested back in the days of MREMAG when it was edited by Pat Hammond, almost 20 years ago and I was the one who came up with the initial 7 Era system in response to a discussion about Epochs and why we didn't have them. The Epoch system in Europe had been in existence for many years and was applied across all manufacturers ranges. Such a scheme it was suggested was needed here and the debate continued for sometime. 

Bachmann announced its proposals to adopt the Era scheme in 2006 and a fully detailed article appeared in the Bachmann Collectors Club magazine in Autumn 2006 (12 years after the shadow companies had come into existence in the lead up to privatisation). It revised the original concept and split the BR steam system into early emblem and late crest and the BR blue period into Pre-TOPS and TOPS, thus making nine eras in all. At the time, Bachmann challenged others such as the Historical Model Railway System to come up with something better - but no one ever did! Hence that was the scheme that was adopted by Bachmann and others. 

Sixteen years later the railway industry is in a totally different place. We now have two countries operating nationalised railways again (Scotland and Wales). We have three English franchises now under Department for Transport (DfT) control operating as Directly Operated Railways (DOR)  - LNER, Northern and South Eastern.  Perhaps if Great British Railways ever comes into being, then we may witness the dawn of a new era (Era 10 or 12? depending on which manufacturers system you adopt for Era 9 onwards). 

The East Coast Main Line has during that period seen five different operators since privatisation - GNER / National Express / East Coast Trains (DOR) / Virgin East Coast and LNER (DOR). The latter of course could be confused with the company that operated between 1923 and 1947 if you are not in the know! 

Railway history is a complex subject. Changes in ownership and repainting into their liveries did not happen overnight and in some cases took years to accomplish. The Era system is a guide and nothing more. There will never be a definitive answer to the Era question but it at least it gives purchasers the choice and allows them to avoid buying items outside their main area of interest.

Edited by 1E BoY
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 01/02/2023 at 10:44, The Black Hat said:

Missed a trick not doing more. Northern Blue and Purple would have been a good choice, but cant help wonder if more are coming, given why do a production run for just one model? Get the feeling this was tagged with the other run of Express 158s... 

It'll be their gift that keeps on coming.

I suspect every couple of years there will be a new livery of this model including Northern's iterations.

Their sales model isn't the same as the Hatton's 66 - that was get all the liveries in, sell them all, done.

Bachmann are wanting this cow to milk for years.

The issue is, whether some people will be interested in hacing it in 3-4 years time...

There's been two or three models I've been interested in but by the time they've been released in the livery I wanted, my money and interest lay elsewhere... egro, no sale.

Still holding out for a Central Trains version but only just.

Well Bachmann, it was very expensive but worth every penny to me. This is without question the best model train I've ever bought (and I've bought plenty over the years!) Everything about it is so perfect I can almost hear the Cummins engine whine and smell the plasticky/rubber aroma they used to smell of in the vestibules as you got on.

They've amended the beige on this release and it's noticeably lighter than it was on the previous Regional Railways one which is good, and the accessory pack even includes a plastic gangway door cover this time! 

Very impressed, although at £280 a pop I'm pleased I'm only buying one. Having said that, when is the WYPTE MetroTrain one due... 😂

PXL_20230211_234943189~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_234716652~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_234729227~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_234737177~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_234901741~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_234710759~2.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Great Waterton said:

Well Bachmann, it was very expensive but worth every penny to me. This is without question the best model train I've ever bought (and I've bought plenty over the years!) Everything about it is so perfect I can almost hear the Cummins engine whine and smell the plasticky/rubber aroma they used to smell of in the vestibules as you got on.

They've amended the beige on this release and it's noticeably lighter than it was on the previous Regional Railways one which is good, and the accessory pack even includes a plastic gangway door cover this time! 

Very impressed, although at £280 a pop I'm pleased I'm only buying one. Having said that, when is the WYPTE MetroTrain one due... 😂

PXL_20230211_234943189~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_234716652~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_234729227~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_234737177~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_234901741~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_234710759~2.jpg

Are you sure the beige is lighter? That looks the same as the initial (retooled) releases

and still too dark to my eyes

• Agree 1

On 04/02/2023 at 00:23, 1E BoY said:

We have three English franchises now under Department for Transport (DfT) control operating as Directly Operated Railways (DOR)  - LNER, Northern and South Eastern.  

DOR was folded shortly after East Coast Trains Limited (East Coast) ended and the Intercity East Coast Franchise was refranchised and privatised.

The current operator of last resort is DfT OLR Holdings Limited (DOHL), though being a publicly owned company is managed privately under contract by Arup, SNC Lavalin and EY. 

Edited by 159220