DB Cargo offers 10 66s for sale

If I had the dosh, I would actually try and buy 66238.

238 is a favoured number of mine and my first ever Bachmann 66701 was repainted into EWS and carried 66238. It was still on call for exhibition use last weekend.

It will now probably be gracefully retired from active duty.

Cheers,

Mick

You could always fit a BSI Tightlock or Dellner coupling to it, and paint it in a slightly different scheme using the same colours as DB©....

Angel orginally provided finance for the 250 Class 66, and 30 Class 67 plus a fair chunk of the wagons that were ordered between 1996 and 2000.

I believe the contract involved EWS/DBC buying them enblock for a token sum at a certain point, there was also a deal that saw a finance company buy and lease back a number of Class 90 and 92, not sure what happened with that.

The lease on the 66s & 67s came to an end a few years ago and they are all now DB assets.

All FOCs have surplus locos so DB might just be testing their value, they have put a reserve price on them. they may also have an offer for them or wish to move them internally within DB rather than as hire locos. They may just need the cash and see no future for 249 class 66s

• RMweb Premium

One of the advantages of buying EMD products used to be the after sales support and huge market for reconditioned parts (it went some way to offsetting the poor fuel consumption). Not sure if that is still the case.

If the engine block is gone, they are of no use unless you can find a replacement v12 710 block already in the EU. You cannot build/import a new engine block unless it meets new EU emissions regs. Do EMD use fabricated or cast engine blocks? That may decide if they are repairable.

• RMweb Premium

Angel orginally provided finance for the 250 Class 66, and 30 Class 67 plus a fair chunk of the wagons that were ordered between 1996 and 2000.

I believe the contract involved EWS/DBC buying them enblock for a token sum at a certain point, there was also a deal that saw a finance company buy and lease back a number of Class 90 and 92, not sure what happened with that.

I remember reading in RAIL as a youngster in 1998 that after 15 years, the Class 66s would be sold for £1 each - I remember that sum well as I was hoping to buy 5 of them with my pocket money!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If the engine block is gone, they are of no use unless you can find a replacement v12 710 block already in the EU. You cannot build/import a new engine block unless it meets new EU emissions regs. Do EMD use fabricated or cast engine blocks? That may decide if they are repairable.

Given the age of the class 66 and the restrictive internal space I think you'd have a strong case to invoke article 34 of the NRM regulation (or whatever it is now) on replacement engines.

Ah, but after glorious brexit there won't be any environmental or safety rules so we'll be free to run them on bunker c oil and just duct tape up any cracks in the engine blocks.

Worth buying a few just in case.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, but after glorious brexit there won't be any environmental or safety rules so we'll be free to run them on bunker c oil and just duct tape up any cracks in the engine blocks.

Worth buying a few just in case.

Even though I remain a staunch remainer, the VW scandal punctured Europe's bubble when it comes to engine certification and emissions.

I remember reading in RAIL as a youngster in 1998 that after 15 years, the Class 66s would be sold for £1 each - I remember that sum well as I was hoping to buy 5 of them with my pocket money!

Pocket money in 1998 ? Youngster !

My understanding was that you could replace an existing engine PU if damaged and certainly avoid full emissions regs if upgrading from say tier1 to tier3A but not create new engine and PU unless fully compliant.

I would think they can repair / recondition the PUs with new parts and still claim it's the same, pre-existing PU.

As far as I know, the ROSCOs are doing this with sprinter PUs using major components from the US & Canada where they were used in buses.

you sometimes feel your in an alternative reality looking at freight in the UK.

DBC trying to flog these, as 37s continue to be pulled out of retirement to head test trains, with other FOCs with surplus 66s and not forgetting the 67s standing idle.

I'm sure someone's books balance .....somewhere...

As far as I know, the ROSCOs are doing this with sprinter PUs using major components from the US & Canada where they were used in buses.

Cummins supplied the engines for the 15X series to BR and they are an American company, not sure how much was UK supplied but at the time there was a factory at Darlington!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

DBC trying to flog these, as 37s continue to be pulled out of retirement to head test trains, with other FOCs with surplus 66s and not forgetting the 67s standing idle.

As has already been pointed out upthread, the class 37s have a lower RA rating and can go to places that are barred to the 66s, while the 67s have a massively high axle loading and an RA to match. Given Railhead Treatment Trains (RHTTs) must venture onto lines that are otherwise the sole domain of EMUs / DMUs (and may be bared to freight) to clean them, replacing 37s with 66s or 67s is a non starter.

In previous years pairs of 20s have done RHTT duties - maybe there are fewer of them these days so more 37s are required to fill the gaps.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At some point someone is going to have to bite the bullet and build some new Type 3 diesel locos.

True, but the 37s I've seen of late all seem to be in rude health and performing duties well below their maximum ability, so they should last a good while yet.

And don't they sound grand! :sungum:

John