DB Cargo offers 10 66s for sale

Why would anyone want to preserve a 66 ?

One day there will probably be a Pendolino preserved at Crewe Heritage centre.

We have to accept now that 20 year 66s are just the same as a 47 or a Black 5 or a Dean Goods - they are part of the history of hum drum engines that trace our railway development.

• RMweb Gold

10 66 s for sale!

Sounds a right battle o Hastings to me :)

It'll be 'one in the eye' to the other freight operators.

• RMweb Premium

One day there will probably be a Pendolino preserved at Crewe Heritage centre.

We have to accept now that 20 year 66s are just the same as a 47 or a Black 5 or a Dean Goods - they are part of the history of hum drum engines that trace our railway development.

Rather implying that everything is really equal, which I don't believe. That said there's no denying that the 66s are a very significant part of the post privatisation freight scene, love them or loathe them, which means they'll be a significant part of the UK's rail history in the future, so deserve preservation for that alone. You could just as well ask why anyone would buy a model of one, but a current image model with some freight on it without one is probably missing something...

Why wouldn't they? I expect some people couldn't see why any diesels would be preserved, but plenty are.

There is a massive difference between preserving something from an enthusiasts point of view, and justifying its existence as an asset to a preserved railway- hence the number of heavy freight diesels and EMUs that have been saved but later scrapped or sold back into industry. Heavy freight steam is less of an issue if the line can justify their haulage capabilities as the slow speeds suit their smaller wheels and they were rarely overworked, but diesels suffer under the same circumstances.

IIRC, 66779 (Evening Star) was bought outright by GBRf, unlike others in that batch which are leased, and it has been promised as a donation to the NRM whenever it reaches the end of its useful life.

On another preservation note, many preserved lines will also be restricted gauge-wise and for axle loads so don't expect to see 66s as common as 37 on preserved lines as they are today. (Again, talking a LONG way in the future)

Why would anyone want to preserve a 66 ?

As saviour of UK freight ? If it wasn't for these there wouldn't be any freight on rail

Though as it turns out rail freight seems quite competitive with several serious players of varying size, all taking work from each other. And the one which seems to be struggling most is the largest...

Very true these days !

There is a massive difference between preserving something from an enthusiasts point of view, and justifying its existence as an asset to a preserved railway- hence the number of heavy freight diesels and EMUs that have been saved but later scrapped or sold back into industry. Heavy freight steam is less of an issue if the line can justify their haulage capabilities as the slow speeds suit their smaller wheels and they were rarely overworked, but diesels suffer under the same circumstances.

I don't see that there's a massive amount of use for them in preservation, not least because the heritage sector seems to be committed to vacuum brakes pretty universally (except the IOW, which would be a pretty amusing destination for a shed), and 66s are air only. But whilst I don't think they will come close to the number of 37s preserved, I'd be absolutely amazed if none at all found homes. I could see them being useful as steam support machines on the main line as well.

They were all originally leased as I understood things so maybe they're coming off lease?

I thought Angel owned them; when I just checked the bible, they were shown as Angel assets in the 2016 Edition, but DB in this year's!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

2 are being used on RHTT duties.

Cheers,

Mick

So they'll be handed over to a new owner in a filthy condition and with wheel flats all round.   :jester: