The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Drug Cheats

Gilbert

I find it funny that nobody boo'd Gatlin in 2012 but they do now. Nothing has changed in the interim.

My thoughts are that once caught and confirmed, you're banned for life.

That is very black & white, but there are grey areas.

1 example is Shane Warne. After gaining some weight while out injured, he wanted to get back in shape & to help this, he took a 'fat pill' (or probably a course of them) recommended by his mother.

After testing positive, he discovered that this contained a substance banned because it can mask performance enhancing drugs.

Maria Sharapova is another example. She was taking some pills which were entirely legal...until the banned substance list was updated.

Should both of these deserve lifetime bans, or was a 1 year ban for each sufficient?

• RMweb Gold

1 example is Shane Warne. After gaining some weight while out injured, he wanted to get back in shape & to help this, he took a 'fat pill' (or probably a course of them) recommended by his mother.

After testing positive, he discovered that this contained a substance banned because it can mask performance enhancing drugs.

Maria Sharapova is another example. She was taking some pills which were entirely legal...until the banned substance list was updated.

Should both of these deserve lifetime bans, or was a 1 year ban for each sufficient?

Personally I'm happy with appropriate decisions on first offences. However, for second offences it should be out for life.

• Like 1

Gatlin's first "offence" was "less bad" than the two examples listed above. Medication to control his ADD, disclosed the relevant authorities and authorised. As agreed, he stop taking it a few days before an event, however traces of the medication where present in samples taken at the event. 

I'll not comment on Gatlin's excuse for second offence as it seems a tad far fetched.

This article is worth a read http://www.sportsintegrityinitiative.com/demonising-justin-gatlin/

"Those are the rules. Almost everyone seems to be unimpressed by them, but it seems impossible to change them.
I'm not sure why the courts have to be involved with this kind of thing. Surely the IAAF could be considered a private member's club, with its own rules on membership........"

Part of the problem is that Human Rights kick in. As the athletes are professionals they cannot be deprived of the right to earn a living.

If the national federations set out rules that make these cheats eligible then they have to select them. In cricket the rules leave the selectors a wider choice. If the rules say that you win a trial then you are automatically selected then the sports controlling bodies are stuffed. They say they want to tighten the rules but as Coe said yesterday the have not been able to do so. I wonder just how hard they have tried and how much behind the scenes pressure has been applied by rather wealthy interested parties.

I feel some sympathy for Gatlin as there are far worse people about. .........

The "problem" is not the Human Rights Act. These organisations as all properly incorporated clubs have rules. The members are expected to conduct themselves according to the rules. If they don't or as is more likely there is a dispute as to interpretation there will be some internal method to resolve the issue. If that does not, then the aggrieved party has recourse to the courts. That is why we have courts - where there is a dispute in society, whether involving the common law or statute, or the affairs of private clubs, there is an independent arbiter. So even if the IAAF was considered a private club, the last resort for rule book interpretations remains the courts, although it remains last resort. There is alos no way of excluding recourse ot teh courts as final arbiter in any agreement.

(I have truncated the comments to exclude material irrelevant to my point).

• RMweb Premium

The Sharapova case is an interesting one, she was banned for taking a masking agent which was prescribed by her "family doctor", despite her living thousands of miles away and being surrounded by physicians and other highly capable staff. She could provide no justification for taking it whatsoever, other than having done so for 'health problems' for 10 years.

She also waltzed back in and picked up loads of sponsorship deals again as if nothing had ever happened. Zero punishment.

Epitomises everything that's wrong with tennis IMO, which (unlike, for example, cycling) totally hides its head in the sand!

Alain Baxter is a better example of potentially 'unfair' positive testing, he took an over the counter Vicks inhaler, which in the UK was absolutely fine, but the US recipe contained a banned ingredient.

That said, it's their livelihood, they should probably know to check stuff like that. Mark Cavendish's book talks about the "whereabouts" thing athletes have to fill in so WADA can get hold of them at any time of day. Yes, it's onerous, possibly even draconian, but it's also their job to complete it.

• RMweb Premium

And that, right there, is why she earns so much money. Not her tennis (she's not the best), not because she's clean (clearly she's not), no it's because of lecherous men admiring her! Still, good for her for capitalising on that!