The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Stand by Brisvegas to receive another decent flood.  Seems to happen every few years.  

Just as long as they dont add  another "Queensland flood levy"  to my tax like they did after the 2011 floods!

The flood levy was a temporary reconstruction tax that will fund the reconstruction of Queensland, Australia, following the 2010–2011 Queensland floods. ... This levy will apply to everyone who has a taxable income of more than $50,000 a year, and will come into effect from 1 July 2011

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

2010–2011 Queensland floods

Not limited to Southeast Queensland but included the Fitzroy, Burnett, Condamine/Balonne, Mary, Toowoomba, Lockyer and Brisbane regions. I wonder if a big motivator for "reconstruction" funding was the damage to the coal industry and coal transportation logistics (in particular railways) and the impact of that on the national economy.

In Brisbane the "usual places" were flooded. I was in Brisbane at the time of the 1974 floods. For a while the suburb was cut off.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This La Nina thing is just getting silly now!

1793186808_Screenshot(304).png.0ed439a5b432ded09068d1960acc60d3.png

Yet for Melbourne where people from Sydney & Brisbane reckon it's always grey and wet, we have had nothing except for a few minutes of the finest drizzle you can imagine!

image.png.54a802109039ea4c0cde90ff8e752220.png

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Sad to hear Rod Marsh didn't make it.

He and the rest of the team were household names when I was growing up - Lillee, the Chappells, Thomo, Dougie Walters, Maxie Walker, even  those mysterious occasionals like Lennie Pascoe and Gary Gilmour.

Hearing those names on the radio was the sound of summer, like cicadas and people going ow ow ow when walking barefoot on the hot road.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Sad to hear Rod Marsh didn't make it.

And Warnie - at 52!

I had phoned Mum and Dad last night. Dad told me about Rod Marsh - Dad's somewhat older than 77. I'm older than Shane.

15 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

... people going ow ow ow when walking barefoot on the ...

... bindiis.

• Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

And Warnie - at 52!

I had phoned Mum and Dad last night. Dad told me about Rod Marsh - Dad's somewhat older than 77. I'm older than Shane.

... bindiis.

Yeah just turned to the SMH site and read about Warney.

Posted this elsewhere but its fitting to get a replay.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Here's hoping I can get back to NSW this year. After looking at flights to Denver for end of May/early June, then finding it was only £70 more for flights to Sydney, I have requested  to move my summer A/L to November to give me a total of 6 weeks. I know there is much more of Australia to see, but there were so many more thing I found I wanted to do in Sydney. 3 weeks with a campervan and head north this time and drop in on friends in Toowoomba.

Just been browsing vans. £505 for 21 days and bookend it with a week in Sydney. Had this all planned for 2020 and look what happened. Just hoping that Putin doesn't make this a wider conflict.

Edited by JZ
more
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This seems to have made the overseas news channels rather than ours. Here its just another day in paradise.

Well he could have been doing far worse on the internet when that happened…..:blush:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Here its just another day in paradise.

Perhaps Aussie footwear manufacturers should offer snake boots for relaxing on the patio. ;)

Perhaps there's marketing potential for selling "snake repellent" thongs? (No such thing of course, but I bet there's money to be made there by the unscrupulous.)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Perhaps Aussie footwear manufacturers should offer snake boots for relaxing on the patio. ;)

Perhaps there's marketing potential for selling "snake repellent" thongs? (No such thing of course, but I bet there's money to be made there by the unscrupulous.)

Oh, you mean the Australian meaning of the word 'thongs'.:D

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Oh, you mean the Australian meaning of the word 'thongs'.:D

The British meaning can also have snake references applied ;)  

In other news Dr. SWMBO is now determined to be in Melbourne for September.  It seems that work will pay a part of the costs meaning she "only" has to cover flights and that part of the board and lodging not directly related to the conference they wish her to attend.

For those that fear coming to Australia please also be aware that it remains home to the Dragon-in-Law :jester: who has been given leave to return home from Tasmania this week after an extended exile account border closures.  At least she had the campervan to live in.  

• Like 5

After taking the plunge and booked for 5 weeks in NSW Oct/Nov , what model shops or exhibitions are there? I always try to get something model railway related on my foreign trips so the need to visit a model shop or exhibition is there. I already know of Casula Hobbies, having visited their stand at the Liverpool show in 2018 and noticed the shop while on the bus from the station.

And what about railway attractions?

I have already earmarked Byron Bay and Zigzag railways.

As for my other hobbies, I intend to do the Solar System drive from Sidings Spring Observatory, having encountered Uranus and Neptune on my last visit.

In general I will be in the North of the state, having headed mostly south on my last trip.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, JZ said:

After taking the plunge and booked for 5 weeks in NSW Oct/Nov , what model shops or exhibitions are there? I always try to get something model railway related on my foreign trips so the need to visit a model shop or exhibition is there. I already know of Casula Hobbies, having visited their stand at the Liverpool show in 2018 and noticed the shop while on the bus from the station.

As for my other hobbies, I intend to do the Solar System drive from Sidings Spring Observatory, having encountered Uranus and Neptune on my last visit.

In general I will be in the North of the state, having headed mostly south on my last trip.

All being well the AMRA Sydney show will be on again this year. Bookmark this link to check nearer the time:

http://www.amransw.asn.au/exhibition/

In the North, I'd recommend Gwydir Valley Models:

http://www.gwydirvalleymodels.com/

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, JZ said:

There's a train graveyard at Dorrigo though it's in private hands and the web says it's intended to be opened as a museum but is not quite there yet so I'm not sure how accesible  it is. The bloke who owns it seems to be more of a hoarder than a curator unfortunately.

However it's a very pretty part of the state, waterfalls, rain forest, a sky walk  over the forest etc.

Also Tenterfield has a rail heritage museum but is more infrastructure and memorabilia rather than rolling stock.

If you've got time in Sydney and you haven't seen the rail transport museum an hours south at Thirlmere, that's worth a squizz.

Can't help with model shops unfortunately. We don't have a whole lot here and those we do  tend to cater more for RC cars or Warhammer.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There's a train graveyard at Dorrigo though it's in private hands and the web says it's intended to be opened as a museum but is not quite there yet so I'm not sure how accesible  it is. The bloke who owns it seems to be more of a hoarder than a curator unfortunately.

However it's a very pretty part of the state, waterfalls, rain forest, a sky walk  over the forest etc.

Also Tenterfield has a rail heritage museum but is more infrastructure and memorabilia rather than rolling stock.

If you've got time in Sydney and you haven't seen the rail transport museum an hours south at Thirlmere, that's worth a squizz.

Can't help with model shops unfortunately. We don't have a whole lot here and those we do  tend to cater more for RC cars or Warhammer.

Isn't there a small museum at Werris Creek?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

There's a train graveyard at Dorrigo .

Heck of a lot of stuff there , all looks pretty tatty though .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-30.335781,152.7067291,3a,51.8y,48.39h,97.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stliQQS8mc0IPxKa4o_ouPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've seen worse on some UK preserved lines.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1