So, the bodies are largely finished. Just waiting for builder’s plates and tender capacity plate from Narrow Planet, then they can be varnished. The loco body can then be finally assembled with vertical handrails, fall plate, reversing rod and glazing. I’m pleased with the result; the lining doesn’t bear close inspection and hopefully a light weathering will distract the eye. It’s only when you have a go yourself at painting and lining that you realise how good the likes of Ian Rathbone are. Next up the frames and the dreaded inside motion. Still can’t quite get my head around it!

post-31608-0-85488300-1523648029_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-62850400-1523648063_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-35901400-1523648081_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15

Lovely looking loco and finish. I see nothing wrong with your excellent lining.

May I ask if you have treated the safety valve bonnet ( assuming that its a lost wax casting and polished ) with anything prior to fixing in place ?

The reason that I ask is because I am in the process of building a Dean Goods which has a very prominent dome and it has been polished as best I can but want to preserve the shine.

Grahame

Lovely looking loco and finish. I see nothing wrong with your excellent lining.

May I ask if you have treated the safety valve bonnet ( assuming that its a lost wax casting and polished ) with anything prior to fixing in place ?

The reason that I ask is because I am in the process of building a Dean Goods which has a very prominent dome and it has been polished as best I can but want to preserve the shine.

Grahame

The safety valve cover is indeed lost wax and was simply cleaned up with files, wet and dry, fibreglass brush and chrome polish (in that order). Nothing else so far. I will probably give it another wipe over with the polish before varnishing. Ian Rathbone suggests a spot of black in the varnish to tone down fittings such as this, Not sure about that as I too would quite like to preserve the shine.

• Like 3

Can I ask what red you've used and how applied? (What undercoat too.) I'm away from home and haven't got my books - is the tender lining a transitional style? As I recall you're c. 1905-ish?

She’s in ‘An Illustrated Review...’ Vol 4 p44; the caption says in a semi-simplified livery with the tender in a simplified condition, c1906. The photo is a poor one and I’ve had a guess at what this means, taking my cue from 673 at the NRM. Differences being no gilt numbers and no lining below footplate. I’m not a huge fan of full and decorated lining schemes anyway.

Painting was carried out with Halfords Rover Damask Red over a red primer.

very nice as above the lining looks good from where I am.

Have a look at my G6 build or the 0395 class I'm building that may help with your valve gear. Both in my signature.

Great, thanks. I’ll take a look.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Trickers.

What a splendid looking locomotive. Lovely depth of finish, well in keeping with the standards of the Midland.

A joy and something to be rightly proud of.

Rob.

very nice as above the lining looks good from where I am.

Have a look at my G6 build or the 0395 class I'm building that may help with your valve gear. Both in my signature.

Peter,

I’ve started to take s look at your 0395 thread and very interesting it is too. As I’m on hols this week, I will study it (and my frets!) with great interest!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve finished the loco and tender bodies (at last). As you can see, still waiting for some wheels. But Rome wasn’t built in a day...Some very light weathering is in order to loose the ex-works look.

post-31608-0-51319900-1524565240_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-17230400-1524565306_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

In between the continuing saga of the loco build (more to follow at some point...) I’ve been doing a bit of work on the scenic-break bridges at the right hand end. I got inspiration for the large pillar in engineering blues from looking at Google street view of the bridges around the site of the old docks as they look today. This one in real life takes the GWR over the Midland docks to Temple Meads, so quite a bit of modeller’s licence involved to nick it for this but I think I’ve managed to Midland-ise it...

These first two shots show it under construction. Basically a wooden block with carved Das bricks. The bridge is mdf with plasticard laminated to it and built up details.

post-31608-0-27098000-1526143363_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-74352800-1526143403_thumb.jpeg

These next few shots show it in position. Some more details to add and a bit more weathering to the bridge plus of course ground works.

post-31608-0-74259800-1526143504_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-30671500-1526143547_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-76159900-1526143605_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15

The bridge is Looking very good ,how did you do the rivet detail ?

Brian

They’re the standard offering from Slaters - the sheets that you cut into strips. I find the sheet a bit thick but there you go.

You all realise by now how bonkers I am, so here goes...I wasn’t too happy with the bridge so took it off having stuck it down. I re-painted the brick work as it looked a bit too scruffy. I think it now has a more uniform engineering look. I also wasn’t happy with the steel-work colour scheme as it didn’t have enough brown, so I painted a bit more. I’m happier now with the end result. There comes a point where you just have to leave it alone and move on...! Or maybe just a bit more weathering....

post-31608-0-41848500-1526549554_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Very nice and evocative modelling Richard, I must agree with you, when something doesn't look quite correct sometimes you have to grit your teeth and redo it.

Grahame