Sandy Hill layout in Cornwall. BR blue 00 gauge

winterbournecm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For the benefit of friends in far-away places who don't get to see these magazines until they're several months old (if at all) what's the latest?

With the failure of my festoons and work to install their replacements in hand I've just taken a look back at how yours is fitted and will use fewer poles this time along with a different wiring arrangement using a bus buried in the sea wall rather than an end-on feed relying on the filaments for contact.

Hi Rick - thanks for the interest. The article is definitely in issue 191, there's a preview picture in 190. This should be around Christmas time in the UK. My mate Yogi gets his on line - that may be sooner.

I was surprized to see your festoon failed. I would have thought LEDs would be pretty bullet proof. I dont usually have mine lit, unless I have visitors. I hope you have more luck with the replacement batch mate.

I must admit, I havent been on the layout much during 2014, been so busy with other stuff. I am looking forward to the Traffic Services Polybulks due in soon. I'm also planning a Bachmann 101 DMU for my birthday in January.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Craig - it's possible the festoons don't like being outdoors and let's face it 99% of the kit I'm using isn't really designed to be outside all the time.  And it's possible the original wiring which had the fine filaments stuck with superglue (because I couldn't find any other way to join them with a reliable electrical connection) caused a problem.

The rewiring should eliminate the connectivity issue and like you I don't have the lighting on all the time - only for short periods if I'm running trains on a summer's evening or for show if I have friends over.

I hope the publication gets the sort of response and reaction you deserve.  I'll try to get a hold of a copy out here but shop supply is a bit hit-and-miss so ordering direct might be the way to go.

Good luck with them. I notice on Fbook & alike a lot of the Cornsih layout guys have the new Polybulks with the lighter coloured middle portion. I am waiting for the Traffic Services ones. I dont recall the other types working in the Duchy? Unless they did, and were covered in grime & clay.

• RMweb Premium

Don't apologise Craig - let them do it for you ;)

News is news and such is the nature of the press that it competes for column space with "promised" features.

As a Cornish layout perhaps we should simply expect it "dreckly" ;)

Two Christmas "Speedlink" arrivals imminent. Todays tripper consisted of 2 x Bachmann Traffic services polybulks from Tinsley -Sheffield. These have been intercepted in to the UTCT pool (under the Christmas tree). The Portishead arrivals are due as well. No doubt coming south on the Bristol West Depot tripper.

I hope your Polar Express on the Eve will bring yo all some railway related prezzies!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two polybulks on the "Scouse" tripper headed this way and two more to be appropriated from the KMRC pool for reallocation to UTCT.  Polar Express might melt here : 28C forecast for the big day!

Have a good Christmas Craig - best wishes to you and the family.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was a plesure easy on the eyes. Whats next That's easy. Start again. Or as they say. A layout is never finished.

I couldn't agree more, this layout as to be up there with the best.... easy :no:

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou Jamie for your kind comments.

Firstly, I'm sorry if you're still waiting (as I am) for the layout to appear in Model Rail. The piece just seems to get postponed, I hope I will get some news about it appearing later in the year. 

I've still been busy though! The I Pad we had for Christmas is a cumbersome camera, but the lens being at the bottom of the device does allow for some eye - level shots. 

45128 & 40169 head departures from Mount Charles

post-2613-0-17679000-1390987235_thumb.jpeg

1010 rounds the curve on the viaduct with a stopper

post-2613-0-84858600-1390987290.jpeg

45128 gets looked at from an inside angle for a change

post-2613-0-37824600-1390987320.jpeg

Yogi's Thumper looks great on the viaduct

post-2613-0-60242400-1390987344.jpeg

Another view of the harbour & Thumper

post-2613-0-85506200-1390987358.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I understand your frustration Craig.  I gave up with them after waiting over a year and without even having a date offered.   They still professed interest at that time and I realise that all the mags have other things to do (most of which generate revenue where featuring layouts is a cost) but they shouldn't keep you hanging on for ever and a day.  Or dreckly as we d'say ;)