Sandy Hill layout in Cornwall. BR blue 00 gauge

winterbournecm

A few pictures of a running session with the Hourly Paddington & hourly Oxford taking centre stage. Unusually 47508 is diagrammed for the Padd, and OOC machine heading home no doubt for some attention. 50004 is the Oxford loco.

post-2613-0-86997600-1369144856.jpg

post-2613-0-52585900-1369144936.jpg

31170 enters the yard at Sandy Hill with the weekly Flask.

post-2613-0-83154300-1369144993.jpg

On shed - 47s have the comfort of the servicing shed. 47083 on the left and 47635 on the right.

post-2613-0-39784200-1369145059.jpg

• Like 8

It's a super train to model Phil. What are you using for barriers? If modelling it up to date you need not have them, or a brake van.

I'm currently using a couple of HEA hoppers plus a brake van, but since I run a couple of eras, as you say, I can run solo.

Phil

Snap! I guess the runner vehicles are similar to a "topless" HEA anyway! The train looks strangely bare with no runner vehicles or brakevan. I worked out & about in Bristol when the train was worked by Bescot class 31s in pairs. I had a memorable evening when it set off the Coaplit heath HABD and a genuiene hot box was reported on one of the flasks. Myself and the train crew stood on the bank beside the class 31s watching an array of emergency vehicles head to the area all expecting the worst.

The train was eventually returned at 10mph, 5mph over points back to Stoke Gifford. I'll upload some pictures in a few days.

Edited by winterbournecm

• RMweb Premium

Quite a substantial wait, I believe, though with your photos having being taken by Chris Nevard you might be a little ahead of any submissions without his professional touch.

Following on from the flask story above - here are the pictures on that fateful day. Notice the variety of freight present on an evening at Stoke Gifford...

So far so good, the train departs Stoke Gifford, about 5 minutes later it set off the Hot Box detector at Coalpit Heath, and the Driver reported a hot bearing & smoke! Uh - Oh!

post-2613-0-61718600-1370270435_thumb.jpg

Here is the train at a stand at B115 at Westerleigh Jn - I was there 10 minutes after it set off the HABD! 

No fire, no panic here - but half of South Gloucestershire fire brigade are on their way! 31163 & 275 are the locos.

post-2613-0-68542500-1370270575_thumb.jpg

Next day - 31163 & 275 are back with MGR barrier wagons to take the disgraced FNA to Bescot. 

post-2613-0-89357300-1370270639_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Done a quick internet image search but not stumbled over anything good, so quick couple of questions about the Flask train comments above. Are any alterations needed to be made to HEA/HAA barrier vehicles to be used as barrier vehicles? And what type of brake van is in use at the back there? Looks like a nice easy short freight to make, liking the double heading 31s!

Cheers.

Done a quick internet image search but not stumbled over anything good, so quick couple of questions about the Flask train comments above. Are any alterations needed to be made to HEA/HAA barrier vehicles to be used as barrier vehicles? And what type of brake van is in use at the back there? Looks like a nice easy short freight to make, liking the double heading 31s!

Cheers.

I've got a going away shot somewhere - I'll dig it out soon.

• Like 1

Cheers.

Hello

The barrier wagons in the photograph can be modelled by removing the main hopper from the HEA chassis. What I did was buy the RNA cast weight infills from Genesis Models. It was then just a case of re-spraying the cast infill black and then securing it into the chassis. I believe you can now buy the relevant transfers for these barrier wagons, but I'm not sure who does them. If I remember correctly just ordinary hea/haa/vba etc were also used as barriers. The brake vans I'm not sure about, something tells me they were tops code Car. But don't quote me.

Sorry Craig if I'm jumping in. I hope my input is of some help.

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg

Hi Stephen - no great - buzz in if you know it! The flasks were a train that didnt hang around - so photos were taken on the hoof normally. The 31s were fairly rare to Bristol at the time, and they were the photographic target, not the wagons really. The 20s caused real excitement when they took over with DRS.

The Genesis info is appreciated too.

I have received the pictures through from Chris Nevard of the recent shoot we did at my place, and I have to say they are simply stunning! The colours and depth of field have enhanced the layout to make it look a million dollars. I wont upload any spoilers here obviously, but I am so delighted with the results.

I'll let everyone know the issue they're going to appear in. If you like Blue diesels, this may be an edition of Model Rail you'd like to have.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi - no updates for a while, have a new computer with Windows 8 and having trouble adjusting. Using Picassa 3 for my photos and seem to have lost Microsoft picture editor - which I loved using. Simple to shrink photos for RM Web & other web use. Here are some recent pictures with a B&W tint to age them for the Hydraulic period.

A very diesel electric 33108 heads the Milk westbound

post-2613-0-97055000-1378912776_thumb.jpg

D6328 brings in some empty stock to Mount Charles - still displaying 0F79 in the headcode. D812 is ready for the off with a down service. 

post-2613-0-78026800-1378912874_thumb.jpg

Double stamps on the Paddington

post-2613-0-52345100-1378912917.jpg

Tail lamp still lit from its journey in from the TMD. D812 is tied onto a Paignton service. 

post-2613-0-64047400-1378912984_thumb.jpg

D6328 trundles a short freight back to Sandy Hill yard, including scrap from the yard.

post-2613-0-78442900-1378913075_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...

With the evenings drawing in now, I decided to give some of the coaching fleet a little treat. The recent Bachmann mk2s make the older Hornby & Lima ones look rather odd with their deep set windows. I brought some pack od South Eastern Flushglaze sets for some Lima BGs and Hornby mk2 TSO & 1/2 brakes. Some windows popped in a treat, some needed some coaxing. All in all, a fiddly but worthwhile job. 

The first class coach has had new window sets, the 2nd class open has original glazing.

post-2613-0-23013100-1381432942_thumb.jpeg

A lima weathered BG with new glazing. The kits allow a little license to leave some droplights slightly open. Better shut them before they go through the carriage wash though!

post-2613-0-16571500-1381433074_thumb.jpeg

Another completed 1/2 brake

post-2613-0-01756100-1381433102_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4