Sandy Hill layout in Cornwall. BR blue 00 gauge

winterbournecm

Hello :) Just discovered this thread; good work, fella!

I'm also reassured that it's not just me that is being overrun by Derby Sulzers B)

The harbour corner is looking really good; I'm looking forward to the 'phot opps' that the completed scene will offer.

Thanks Jim

The 25's tend to hamg around working short freights and Parcel traffic around the district or filling in for 08's when out of service. I have to say they are one of my favourite locos on the layout performance and looks wise. Anything Bachmann just seems to runs well anytime. Some 40s & 45's stick sometimes, but oiling them is a swine of a job.

I also have a soft spot for EE type 3's too.

The harbour scene is gathering pace now, and I'm trying to finish off the area time permitting, but that is in short supply at the moment.

Best wishes

Craig

A rainy day, and up early off nights so the apron was out (not a pretty sight), and the mixing started. Used a mixture of plaster & Paris and multifinish for a bit of added texture. It looks like a massive cake icing, but hopefully will take shape over the coming weeks.

post-2613-127870366777_thumb.jpg

post-2613-127870371422_thumb.jpg

The dwellings along the harbour front. The bank behind will house a footpath and be will mostly covered with foliage.

post-2613-127870376227_thumb.jpg

The waters edge using a rubber mould to make the cliffs at beach level and a hanging basket mat covered in sand dunes tracks above.

post-2613-12787037877_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There's something deeply unsettling about doing a major scenic job, and thinking - heck is that going to look right! blink.gif

But a few days to let the plaster to dry, and the room stop smelling of sweating feet and it was time to paint it brown and add the foilage.

The steeply sided ravine needed the greenary added by glue gun as Bostic or PVA wouldnt hold it in place. Once set (and some sore finger tips later) the foliage was sprayed with Fast-tack aerosol glue and woodland scenic scatter blown onto it horizontally. Quite pleased with the diorama here, as the trains second fiddle to the scene. Just got the water effect and beach to do now.

post-2613-127912678572_thumb.jpg

post-2613-127912681752_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A mid- summer update: Have been adding some finishing touches to some of the areas on the layout including the Lych gate for the church. The church is the first thing viewed inside the door, so i wanted that looking good. The path infront of the church really goes no-where, but adds a bit of width to the scene. The eye forgets the path runs to no where, and is led to the lych gate and onto the church instead. The gate came from Langley models and was sprayed with primer and painted with acrylics.

post-2613-128032486524_thumb.jpg

The ivy comes from International models, and is absolutely brilliant, bit difficult to chop up from the sheet, but use small pieces and a tweezers to position. The wall is custom made from embossed block sheets.

Some other bits and pieces added to the harbour scene included Bollards, life rings and seagulls all from Langley Models bit concerned that this area becoming cluttered, so going to call it a day here. Poor old Stan on crutches from his drunken fall down the Sloop steps!

post-2613-12803249078_thumb.jpg

The station building on the road at Mount Charles

post-2613-12803249584_thumb.jpg

The Taxi Rank populated with city folk....

post-2613-128032499792_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have been to United Downs St Day today, not a usual modelling haunt you may think, but CFS sell clear cast resin and hardener to make clear water effect. I will have a play around with some scrap wood first, using brown base (river / estuary), sand (self explanatory) & turquoise bases. I'm hoping the turquoise will produce a St Ives Bay water effect look. I wont add any colour to the resin, and hope that the water effect will be sufficient with an acrylic base underneath.

I'll upload the testing progress before I attempt the water feature on the harbourside!

40118 with a Sheffield service in plat 2 at Mount Charles:

post-2613-127861453033_thumb.jpg

The coach with the NSE logo... what/where/how? I'm assuming it's a decal of some sort? Since I model BR '85 -'90, these would be ideal for coaches that have not been repainted yet.

I have an old Lima 47 'Scepter' that has the NSE flashing on the front and sides, but still painted in BR Blue. Would be nice to add some additional 'transition' items.

Thanks in advance!

BTW.. love the layout.. very jealous of the space you have!

post-7599-12821443396_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi there, I came across these transfers from a mate (sounds dodgy doesn't it!). They were on a yellow background, water slide. They may have been Shawplan or Fox but cant help anymore than that. I had enough to do about 4 coaches, the Hornby mark two were hand painted by mayself to rid the awful silver window rims. They dont look too bad, but Bachmann saw to them with their wonderful examples.

You've got me thinking now whether a standard BR class 40 could have worked NSE coaches. 40118 lasted as 40118 (it came a 40/9) until 1985 so I suppose I am about 12 months out.

You've got me thinking now whether a standard BR class 40 could have worked NSE coaches. 40118 lasted as 40118 (it came a 40/9) until 1985 so I suppose I am about 12 months out.

Thanks for the info on the transfers. I'll have to do some hunting to see if I can source some for myself.

Well, here goes the water experiment. Quite pleased with the results, here's some pictures of my "test-plank"!

The resin & hardener. Use a robust container to mix them. BEWARE it stinks!!

post-2613-128221609218_thumb.jpg

The plank with sand / turquoise and brown test colours beneath. I think a darker medium is going to be better.

post-2613-128221617004_thumb.jpg

The mixture is added, very smooth like honey!

post-2613-128221623823_thumb.jpg

After 15 - 20 mins it starts to go milky, so brush texture can be added (gently ) to give some ripple effect.

post-2613-128221631104_thumb.jpg

The test complete, I think building up layers is going to be the secret, and simply texture the later layers for contours. It's supposed to reach full hardness within 50 mins (no smut please)!!

post-2613-128221640394_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Had some time today on the wettest day of the year to start the base sea-bed before I add the resin top. The colour was copied from Charlestown harbour last evening. I hope I have done it justice. The base colour is deep green Green with brown added in), and after I have dry brushed some white in to relieve the darkness (thanks to Mrs M eye being cast over it). The colours underneath are brown mixed with green powder paint, and various shades of light & dark green added afterwards - dry brush style. Please let me know what you think. It'll be resin time soon guys sad.gif The deeper green colour: post-2613-128275378558_thumb.jpg Peeking through the viaduct towards the Sloop Inn: post-2613-128275383374_thumb.jpg A little white added to lighten the seabed colour: post-2613-128275387395_thumb.jpg And some big class 40's at Mount Charles. 40118 & 169 post-2613-128275399067_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm thoroughly impressed by the shades you have chosen - and their blending. A pint in the Sloop seems a really tempting prospect already - how tantalising will it be when the resin makes the sea look real? Lovely stuff all round!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi there - thanks guys. Do you see the dry brushing effect on the piers Chris - thanks for that tip. As for the crease, yes I probably will fill. It shows up now I've painted it, though I am going to build the sand up in layers once the resin is done.

hi craig

how thick will the finished resin be? I'm gussing 10-15mm. Have you thought about applying local patches of paint between layers? Some off whiteto give the breaking waves on the beach and around the peirs some depth but also bits of dark brown/grey/green to simulateseaweed under the surface. I was down in devon at the weekend and noticed how the weed hugs the rocks and walls etc. Not too much paint just enough in small areas to breakup the mill pond effect you can get with resin.

Dry brushing seems to have gone well - glad we had that chat!

All the best.

Hi Chris, goodness - you must have read my mind. I was toying of the idea of blackening up some lichen and cutting it into small pieces and setting it into the resin to look like seaweed at the bottom of the seabed. As for froth, I'm not too sure about waves as they're static on the layout which I like to video, and I would prefer a moderately serene surface to the water, rather than waves breaking. This may give reflection like pictures with trains above on the viaduct. I suppose there could be some sloshing around the piers, with currents, eddys or rip tides etc.... Hell this is getting technical now blink.gif

Thanks for the help though it's always appreciated. I may drop some white mixed with PVA & washing up liquid to give a foam effect, this can be easily wiped off it it looks rubbesh.