Sandy Hill layout in Cornwall. BR blue 00 gauge

winterbournecm

Here are some pictures of my recently purchased Dapol, Kernow Models limited edition Silver Bullets. I'm delighted with them.

The weathered bullets sit on the reception at Sandy Hill

post-2613-127236324829_thumb.jpg

Close up of the end detail on the wagons.

post-2613-127236329047_thumb.jpg

Contrast between the gleaming Dapol standard wagons & Kernow specials.

post-2613-127236333813_thumb.jpg

The wagons in the carriage sidings for effect.

post-2613-127236338402_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very pleased to see the layout on here Craig including a good selection of images from construction to present day.

When running the BR "blue" era let's not forget that most items of rolling stock which wore that livery also wore at least one earlier and / or later livery meaning we can include mixed-livery formations quite legitimately. How many times have you seen a mixed-livery HST set? There have been many years of changeovers.

So I don't think the blue era is at all flat. There is scope to mix b/g and all-blue vans with a maroon or green loco, or indeed with a sector-livery one. I will often pair my WR hydraulics with one blue and one maroon. You will know yourself of the colourful assortment of vans which used to trundle down through Cornwall around lunchtime until the mid 90's.

A busy station deserves the busy look and that you have captured. I like the idea of "notebooks out" on shed as well. So very true of many of us in our younger days and some still at more advanced ages!

• Like 1

Hi fellas - thanks for the support! Ian I think a panel is quite technical for a manual Signalman like me. But a nice idea!

You're right Rick. I enjoy having a mix up of coaches, blue/grey with NSE or Intercity sprinkled in. I dont really go back beyond 1979, but dad does, so we'll have lots of blue & yellow with green & maroon on his monster layout later this summer.

Traction mag has thrown up some wonderful images during the "change-over" a peak in green with a small yellow panel on a complete rake of blue & grey, Blue westerns (1967) with maroon coaches. Dad has famous cine footage of 3 x warships on the Up Riviera at Hayle, two blue and a green sandwiched in the middle! Glory days eh? I was tad young for 800's on the main lineas I'm 1969 vintage.

Making a start on the harbour scene soon, so will be popping over to your thread occasionally!

• RMweb Premium

Might have to update that. There's been an uncommon amount of real water falling here in recent weeks but the railway was built to a fine tolerance and hasn't been affected other than by the damp air. The opening window clears the rails by 1mm and the beach scene (and several other spots) are clear of the normal rain drips by the same amount. That's called maximum use of available space!

As a 1957 model I well remember hopping on the number 9 bus (as it then was, it's now the 6) at Newlyn Bridge and watching trains at Penzance until long after I should have been home. Most stock was maroon in the mid sixties with just a very occasional blue loco / blue-grey vehicle. Most locos were maroon or green or just plain dirty.

I'm with you all the way on the manual operations as my own frame illustrates. 56 levers and not a push-button in sight!

As a 1957 model I well remember hopping on the number 9 bus (as it then was, it's now the 6) at Newlyn Bridge and watching trains at Penzance until long after I should have been home. Most stock was maroon in the mid sixties with just a very occasional blue loco / blue-grey vehicle. Most locos were maroon or green or just plain dirty.

I'm with you all the way on the manual operations as my own frame illustrates. 56 levers and not a push-button in sight!

I remember the era well, spent hours during family holidays on the ends of the platforms at Newton Abbot watching the Warships and the other hydraulics come and go, been looking at Plymouth North Road or Truro as a possible layout for some time now, just bought my D812 and have 809 on order. happy days. Craig's panel looks just like the NX one I have been working today, far nicer than the new computer screens which control the other half of Port Talbot.

Ian

At last the Tregrehan harbour scene is taking shape. This is a signifigant project, as the layout will be largely complete once this area is done. The is the first layout I have completed for many years.

Here are some pictures showing progress so far.

The Sloop Inn and cottages around the slipway.

post-2613-127256993089_thumb.jpg

View of the bowl shaped area and viaduct spanning the area.

post-2613-127256996718_thumb.jpg

Work moves along a little showing plaster sheets and added plaster to the areas on top of the ready made cliff sections.

post-2613-12725700474_thumb.jpg

The cottages up on the ridge and steps down to the Sloop Inn being constructed.

post-2613-12725700872_thumb.jpg

37671 crosses the viaduct. This should be a good vantage point once decorated. Really pleased with the depth of field here.

post-2613-127257016009_thumb.jpg

Couldn't wait to get some greenery down. Here is the valley semi decorated

post-2613-127257022526_thumb.jpg

Still loads to do, but fun so far!

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I want a "corner" of Cornwall somewhere on the layout. I'm toying with palm trees for the stations, but can only find wide leaved ones on the market, rather than the thin leaved ones we have. May have to make some myself.

Here is the progress on the cliff faces and slipway area of the layout. The cliff faces came to life once painted with powder paint and acrylics then dusted with weathering powders. Now concentrating on finishing touches and applying the water to the bay. Not sure which method to use. Varnishes built up in coats or using Woodland scenic "real water".

I'm planning to use a ladder to disguise the join in the wall sections (cheat!!)

post-2613-127292235625_thumb.jpg

post-2613-127292240138_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have been gently working away on the harbourside as time allows. Been at Par on a monster week of nights this week. But cahnge to Days on Sunday in time for the 40 / western touring railtour. smile.gif

Here are some scenes around the newly contructed black bridge, which may be an 1/2 inch too high, and the approach to Tregrehan viaduct.

post-2613-127381470436_thumb.jpg

post-2613-12738147366_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And an amply-proportioned balding gent to represent Doc Martin if you go with Port Wenn - sorry - Port Isaac :)

Bit slow on this, sorry. Port Isaac is aka Tresoddett, courtesy of Posy Simmonds (sometime Grauniad cartoon strip artist, e.g. The Silent 3 Of St Botolphs) who lives nearby. As for the pub, yes boozy evenings in the Golden Lion, before staggering up the hill. Wherever you stay in Port Isaac, it's always uphill from the Golden Lion!

• RMweb Premium

Bit slow on this, sorry. Port Isaac is aka Tresoddett, courtesy of Posy Simmonds (sometime Grauniad cartoon strip artist, e.g. The Silent 3 Of St Botolphs) who lives nearby. As for the pub, yes boozy evenings in the Golden Lion, before staggering up the hill. Wherever you stay in Port Isaac, it's always uphill from the Golden Lion!

It is indeed. Haven't heard from Tresoddett for some time now. Anyone who has walked the coastal path from Port Isaac westwards will surely be muttering something along the lines of "Tresoddett" as they toil up the fourth massive climb on the saw-tooth towards Trebarwith. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't fancy taking the steps with a skin-full, though I did accomodate a landing half way up for a breather!

Apologies for hi-jacking your fine thread with these irrelevances, Craig, but it is kinda nice to find fellow-path sufferers! I knew a girl who spent her honeymoon at Trebarwith, while her father, now deceased, was busy managing the rolling stock fleet for the South Eastern Division!

• 1 month later...

post-2613-127696445929_thumb.jpg

post-2613-127696448485_thumb.jpg

A bit of a mid summer update: The layout hasn't made much progress scenery wise due to over time at Par box. I have been buying bits for the harbour and scenery in general including crab pots, fishing nets and rubbish bins. Planning to get some seagulls and emmets (holiday makers) to bring the scene to life.

I did get around to constructing a super Knightwing crane kit for the Crane Raod around the back of the TMD. This concreted area is useful for visiting locos to be roaded onto the track off a low-loader if required. I sprayed it with Plastikote textured paint, then used brown/black acrylic mix to paint it, whilst wet, a terracotta wash was randomly drawn over it to give a rusty look.

Another scene complete!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have a couple of visiting evenings with some friends stock & locos appearing, and added some bits to the harbour scene. Here are some photos:

33201 shunts the silver bullets at Sandy Hill

post-2613-127784335237_thumb.jpg

40118 & 45128 on shed at Sandy Hill

post-2613-127784336862_thumb.jpg

50018 stabled at Mount Charles

post-2613-127784338849_thumb.jpg

The Sloop Inn in June

post-2613-127784340053_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Another running evening and some pictures and U Tube uploads:

40118 & Nemo sit in the stabling spur at Mount Charles:

post-2613-127861439571_thumb.jpg