Sandy Hill layout in Cornwall. BR blue 00 gauge

winterbournecm

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info on the trees. I shall give that a go when I come to make more trees.

I think you are right on the waves front. Static waves just don't look right, much like the still running person or stationary cars on an empty duel carriageway.

Modelling does funny things to your brain. I had a drink in the Sloop (for real) last Saturday. Spent so long studying it in OO form - it was surreal walking into the place! Bit like D it D Par Inn I guess.

I've had people asking me where Tregrehan harbour is in Cornwall (via Facebook) - er it's a MODEL, made up!

• RMweb Premium
I've had people asking me where Tregrehan harbour is in Cornwall (via Facebook) - er it's a MODEL, made up!

I've had the same with Penhayle Bay B) . The lucky few can see it in person but it's still just a model sitting outside the house and nowhere near Cornwall.

• Like 1

Friday night was a running night - what the layout was meant for. Nice to see it in action after doing water & trees for the last month or so. The scenery was almost forgotten as the layout was infested with mainly visiting Brush Type 4's and a new 66068, which whipped up 10 Tilcon hoppers with no hassle at all (just like it's 12"/1 foot big brother.

Visiting locos were (Whoppits) 47079 in GW150 Green (my god 25 years ago...), 47581 in original NSE livery, 47361 Wilton Endeavor in grey, 56045 in weathered grey

(Johns) 47212 in Petroleum livery

(Yogi) 66068

47079 on a ballast working:

post-2613-021721100 1287238652_thumb.jpg

66068 on the bullets in the yard:

post-2613-087673900 1287238700_thumb.jpg

Sequential spoons on the Oxford: 47581 & 582

post-2613-077667800 1287238745_thumb.jpg

47079 & 484 on the Postal - back to OOC and 591 on the Paddington relief

post-2613-025938000 1287238797_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I collected my Heljan d1023 Western Fusilier from Kernow Models and am delighted with it. I have added some of them attachements, and this is the only disappointment really. The ridiculous shiny metal lamp irons are essential to fit, and are not pre-drilled or painted. I had to faf about drilling a small hole above the vertical grab rail and carefully trim them are they are too long.

The brake block attachments don’t fit the holes in the bogie, and will hinder corners so I’ve omitted those.

post-2613-066859200 1288945345_thumb.jpg

post-2613-068804900 1288945390_thumb.jpg

post-2613-056792000 1288945400_thumb.jpg

But when done, and lined up with fellow Bachmann 812 & Heljan D7035 I’m back in the 70’s. I’m toying with giving D1023 Precision number blinds as she wears G39 spots from 1977, but I’ll forgive myself that little indiscretion! The last line up like this I did, was Trix, Lima and Triang hydraulics – so this is light years from those days. How times have changed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Craig

I think I'd prefer a Bulleid line up (Merchant Navy, WC/BoB & Q1) :D

Strangely though i do find myself being drawn to the Hydraulics but pre corporate BR blue. On the whole I've managed to resist so far with the only slip being a Silver Fox Class 22 (Oh and a Dapol one on pre-order....)

• RMweb Premium

Good to see the layout in action Craig - as you say that is what it is really there for.

I have to admit to a passion for the major hydraulic classes myself so I like the line up you have presented. The livery isn't so important to me though two-tone green Hymeks and maroon Westerns / Warships would be my favourite. I might have to present something similar myself as I have (an attempt at) a running day planned in what promises to be challenging weather on Sunday and with the layout currently in dire need of a good clean.

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for the hydraulics here. Whatever the reality of their performance and availability, they had rather more charisma than the diesel-electrics, that's certain. As a 12-year old, standing on Plymouth North Road platform, the place awash with Warships - "Hey there's Zulu, the last one built!" - they captured my imagination rather more than Deltics at KX, or EE Type 4s at Euston. Impressions from an impressionable age!

• RMweb Premium

Going to sleep in Paddington behind a maroon "Western Princess" and being woken at Par to find a green "Ark Royal" had taken over .....

Taking the morning bus into Penzance before school and hoping that the overnight trains would produce something not previously seen .....

Just relishing the fact that Western Region locomotives (mostly) had cast name and number plates (even on their Brush 4's) while mostly the rest didn't .....

And contemplating that if Swindon hadn't run out of "Grange" or "Hall" place names what they might have used for Hymek names .....

Impressions and fond memories.

Goodness, the 70's have certainly hit others "spot" too. They were wondeful days, I was only 8 when the last 1000's left the scene in Cornwall, but dads cine more than keeps them alive for me.

The cast number & nameplates on our 57604 are a lovely touch, and she looks grand in green too. The other 57's have cast number plated too from memory - the "Western" lives on. To see Champion growling around the County in the last few years has been remarkable. She has pulled heavy trains (some with a dead loco on the rear) like a tiger and never lost he footing once. Just paint her blue & Yellow now please!

Rick, you've helped inspire this era on the layout. I've loved seeing your hydraulics skirting your coastal run and been impressed how you encompass over 50 years of traction.

I'm going to stay blue & yellow for now, but a faded maroon Foxhound or Cockade with full yellow ends may be too much to resist!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Rick, you've helped inspire this era on the layout. I've loved seeing your hydraulics skirting your coastal run and been impressed how you encompass over 50 years of traction.

:blush: Glad to have been any help at all. Must try to drop in next May when we're back over.

• RMweb Premium

Most Heljan locos come with a slip of printed headcodes which can be cut and inserted as alternatives. Perhaps they don't bother if the loco has a "domino" factory-fitted. But for anyone wishing to fit a 4-digit version I'm sure there would be modellers out there with spare headcode panels lying unused.

The latest Hymek has the factory-fitted headcode on what seems to be a sticky film rather than paper but this is easily lifted away and replaced with one of the cut-out ones. Would 1023 perhaps have the same film in use to display the dots?

What is this working made up of, specifically, the first wagon in the train? I believe it's a bogied wagon of some sort?

Thanks!

Hi This is an engineering service composed of cambrian kits turbot wagons painted in dutch livery.They are loaded with 10 commandments sleeper loads. I can do some close ups if you like.

Hi This is an engineering service composed of cambrian kits turbot wagons painted in dutch livery.They are loaded with 10 commandments sleeper loads. I can do some close ups if you like.

Sure! Would love that...

I'm in the process of debating what I want in terms of engineering wagons, so anything you have would be appreciated!

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

post-2613-002662100 1290362544_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid I couldn't help myself. The hydraulics were just too clean... Heres 812 & 7035 having received some liberal weathering at Sandy Hill shops.

D1023 is fast morphing into D1021 Western Cavalier, the indicator boxes proudly display 1021 as opposed to double spots. Got to get the nameplates and weather her as well...

post-2613-011593600 1290362485_thumb.jpg

post-2613-066548900 1290362518_thumb.jpg

• Like 1