Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Abandoned rolling stock in disconnected sidings

fezza

• RMweb Gold

I believe there is a thread of a similar vein elsewhere on the forum, it was believed that a pair of Cartic-4 style rakes still existed on a severed siding in Dagenham.

This one.

I put a link to a google earth image (post 60)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81072-abondened-wagonscoaches/page-3?hl=cartic

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The wagons that were dumped at Salisbury are still on google maps even though they've been gone 6 or 7 years! Shows their photos are a bit out of date. Look just to the right of Castle Roundabout, between the station and tunnel, and they are lurking in the shunt neck under the trees.

There was (is?) a Grampus full of ballast sitting in a bay on the SE section (I think at Ashford) which had been detached from a ballast working in 1965 with a hotbox and was still there 30 years later.

There was / is a loaded Grampus in the Down Bay at Maidstone West which was there in NSE days and was certainly still there a couple of years ago. There also used to be a Lowmac type wagon standing on a section of disconnected siding behind the Up Platform at Sole Street back in the early 1990's.

There was a well wagon at New Cross Gate for decades which only finally went when the East London Line extension works went in.  Are the BR Blue Mk1 GUV and CCT vans still lurking at Oxford Station still?

The two vans at Oxford are long gone John, cut up on site when the bay platforms were remodelled. Very glad I photographed them on numerous occasions now!

• Like 1

There was / is a loaded Grampus in the Down Bay at Maidstone West which was there in NSE days and was certainly still there a couple of years ago. There also used to be a Lowmac type wagon standing on a section of disconnected siding behind the Up Platform at Sole Street back in the early 1990's.

That's the one. RAIL magazine mentioned it (complete with photograph) one issue in the mid 90s, possibly to mark it's 30th anniversary of lying there. I wonder if it was a steam hauled ballast train, although I suspect everything like that was type 3 hauled by then.

• 2 months later...

Stopped off at Maidstone West this week (09/11/17) and the long abandoned Grampus is still in position and looking fairly neat although the rust is starting to come through in places.  Does anyone know the wagon number or when it actually arrived ? I think the wagon was originally detached from a passing engineers service (hot box?) and red carded so it may have been left in a position where it was too difficult to effect repairs. 

post-31664-0-27241000-1510407724_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Still a conflat abandoned at the up end of Heaton yard. It has a cable drum bracket mounted so was presumably used for the ECML electrification. What's interesting is that the lettering on the side is in italic script so it may have been an old GWR one.

The wagons that were dumped at Salisbury are still on google maps even though they've been gone 6 or 7 years! Shows their photos are a bit out of date. Look just to the right of Castle Roundabout, between the station and tunnel, and they are lurking in the shunt neck under the trees.

Indeed that part of the shunt neck is now OOU too ............

There was a tale, I know not how true, of a Long abandoned and isolated van at Eastleigh, opened in the 1980s, and found to contain a consignment of utility furniture, loaded in the late 1940s.

In Ireland, it is still possible to find abandoned locos (abandoned wagons are too common to merit comment) out at the extremities of bog railways, although there has been a big scrap drive in recent years, for environmental reasons.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Stopped off at Maidstone West this week (09/11/17) and the long abandoned Grampus is still in position and looking fairly neat although the rust is starting to come through in places.  Does anyone know the wagon number or when it actually arrived ? I think the wagon was originally detached from a passing engineers service (hot box?) and red carded so it may have been left in a position where it was too difficult to effect repairs. 

It's been there since 1965 as I remember. There was a small article complete with photograph of it (looking much more rusty) in RAIL magazine at the time marking 30 years or so since it had arrived there.

• RMweb Premium

If you walk along the old Frome - Radstock Line, which still has the track laid, although badly overgrown, you’ll find a BR brake van abandoned near Mells Road, well, just the metal bits, the woods long gone.

It's not improved in the last 15 or so years, then, when I last walked the line to see if there was anything of use worth borrowing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not quite in with the thread title but just to the east of Kirby Muxloe on the Knighton Junction to Burton line, the chassis of a Shark Brake Van lies on it's side in the undergrowth.

That would be a Basking Shark then...?

Dava

With several of the companies who had licenses being absorbed or going bust it has left wagons with no owner and no value as they would cost more to certify than their scrap value. We had 5 ex channel tunnel wagons dumped up the east yard headshunt for a couple of years after being stopped because control identified they were being moved without a valid certificate from Eastleigh. The company subsequently went bust and they sat blocking the headshunt which we used fairly frequently for charters shunt moves. It took us ages to get them removed as they were in a 'network siding' all operators are allowed to use. We had to prove an operational need for the siding and that they didn't have an owner to make the business case for the cost of removal. A crane and five lorries were needed as they couldn't be removed on rail due to no certificate. If they are on isolated track no ones going to be interested in removing them as they aren't in anyone's way until a project needs the land.

This just the sort of nonsense which annoys me(thats the polite way of putting it)if they'd already done several illegal trips just drag them to a quiet spot when no ones looking and phone one of those friendly types who live in caravans for quick removal!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting...................but wrong.  Obviously a very old satellite picture much like the one I was looking at earlier this year of Buxton TMD and I thought it was still standing so planned a trip across to take pictures only to find out a few days later that the image had been updated and a pi;e of rubble was there instead.

Taken in June this year.

post-6685-0-27026500-1510510128_thumb.jpg

• Like 3