The Level Crossing topic

• RMweb Gold

This topic is seriously addictive! wink.gif

Here's St Clears on the South Wales main line between Carmarthen & Milford Haven. All traces of the former staion gone. Also much nicer weather than last time I was down that way!

Manorbier on the Pembroke & Tenby line.

Here's one which is being replaced by an underpass Tipton on the Birmingham - Wolverhampton line. A notorious bottleneck, you can just make out the barriers behind the fencing if you zoom in. The aerial view was taken when the crossing was still in use!

• RMweb Gold

If we're doing abandoned formations, how about this crossing north of Ponteland on the former Wallridge Colliery Railway through Northumberland? The rails and cobbled crossing surface are still visible at the right-hand side of the road, 80 years after the line closed! A bizarre little tramway, it only lasted a few years before being abandoned but you can still trace the rough route up to Belsay Colliery in the wilds of Wanny.

Arp

• RMweb Gold
This topic is seriously addictive! wink.gif

Here's St Clears on the South Wales main line between Carmarthen & Milford Haven.

Hi Rich,

Here's the next one to the West -- with a bit of a problem for Google! : near St Clears

Some more in the area:

Sarnau

near Whitland

Ferryside

Kidwelly

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Hoylake

Wilaston on the wirral

North Road nr Ellesmere port don't know how long its been since anything ran along here but probably more recent than willaston ( wirral)

Wilaston nr Nantwich

London Road Nantwich

Wellington Road Nantwich

Shrewbridge Road Nantwich ( nearly as good as some of my early track alignment) :D

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the remains of the Culm Valley branch in Devon, heres the crossing at Uffculme The concrete gatepost is the last remaining relic. Across the road, the station site is a housing estate.

The next crossing was at Culmstock station. The station site is now a pub garden and carpark

A bit further on is Whitehall halt, and this is the site of Hemyock terminus, where the line into the dairy crossed the road.

Dave.T

• RMweb Premium

Rolle Street/Braunton Road crossing in Barnstaple. The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway ran to the left the old warehouse. Many photos of the L&B feature this location.

A few yards further on was Pilton Causeway crossing, where the line entered Pilton Yard. The cast iron gatepost caps were retained after closure, and are visible on top of the wall.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold
Just spotted Google's 3D specs on that link. Presumably, that's not a real feature, but rather a "special" for today only?

Hi Steve,

It's for real: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9945448-7.html

It's now on all Streetview links, I first noticed it yesterday.

No glassses, so I don't know how well it works. Probably not very well. :)

For some excellent 3D rail pics (without glasses), try: http://geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/c807096.html

and especially: http://geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/p48601762.html

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Topsham, Exeter , with signal box and station.

HERE

I'd already done this one further up the thread wink.gif

Some Cambrian ones:

Harlech - the road is at such an acute angle there is a huge distance between the barriers, the 1st barrier is actually behind the viewpoint.

Barmouth Abermaw

2-for-1 offer aberystwyth Vale of Rheidol line with the Cambrian line ahead in the distance

Finally one in the West Midlands with a train visible, although the streetview doesn't extend over the crossing Cradley Heath - move forward to the junction & the train is moving over the crossing, which is probably why streetview didn't go across!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Here's the next one to the West -- with a bit of a problem for Google! : near St Clears

Some more in the area:

Sarnau

near Whitland

Ferryside

Kidwelly

Martin.

I'd forgotten Whitland Station blink.gif Was trying to remember stations with level crossings I'd seen....

[edited to inc link]

My link East Gates level crossing, Colchester, which is on the branch for Clacton and Walton. The line diverging from the junction is the one side of a triangle junction which links the branch to Colchester Town Station (formerly St. Botolphs). The signal box was decommissioned last year, and replaced by the relay cabin across the line. Its a shame, but that's progress. The box is listed AFAIK, and anti-vandal screens have been placed over the windows.

Would anyone else agree that on the whole our urban street scenes in these links are a nightmare of lights, razor wire, fences, signage and line marking and the rural locations almost unbelievably unspoilt. The hazzard warning lines on BDs crossing in Colchester make me think of a place in danger of a nuclear spill rather than a road crossing a railway :rolleyes:

Talking of which: a small one near a nuclear facility

Archived