The Level Crossing topic

• RMweb Gold

With Google Streetview we can now visit any level crossing in the UK and look both ways along the tracks at leisure -- something not easy to do while driving across. :)

So here's a topic in which to post interesting links. On the map, click the Link link, top right, and then copy from the first box "Paste link in email or IM". In your post, click this icon link.png and paste the link in the top box. Enter the words you want to appear in the bottom box.

Here are a few to get the ball rolling:

level crossing 1

level crossing 2

These crossing gates normally stand closed to road traffic, and here's the crossing keeper closing the gate behind the Google camera car: level crossing 3

(For those new to Streetview, you can drag the picture sideways with the mouse to swing the camera round and look the other way along the tracks. If you click the picture first, you can also do this by holding down the left-right arrow keys on the keyboard. Use the up-down keys to move along the road. Click the + button or roll the mouse wheel to zoom in on the picture.)

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

One of may favourite places in the world

Blue Anchor

From my childhood

Linby Colliery as was

The bungalow to the right of the line used to belong to my Aunt, built by my uncle "Billy" Bodil, I earned pocket money chipping old mortar off the bricks he used to build the bungalow, salvaged from the house he demolished on the site!

Turn 180 degrees and you are looking at the old entrance of Linby Colliery sidings, now just houses ....

• RMweb Gold

With Google Streetview we can now visit any level crossing in the UK and look both ways along the tracks at leisure -- something not easy to do while driving across. :)

So here's a topic in which to post interesting links. On the map, click the Link link, top right, and then copy from the first box "Paste link in email or IM". In your post, click this icon link.png and paste the link in the top box. Enter the words you want to appear in the bottom box.

Here are a few to get the ball rolling:

level crossing 1

level crossing 2

These crossing gates normally stand closed to road traffic, and here's the crossing keeper closing the gate behind the Google camera car: level crossing 3

regards,

Martin.

Interesting and useful (not just for railway modelling) idea there Martin, thanks.

Here's something I've already mentioned in two threads in the last day, so why not pollute a third one?

Bardon quarry, in Leicestershire. If you zoom in, you will not only make out the white Sentinel-like (but not a Sentinel) works shunter, but also, to its left, a small flash of BR blue belonging to a Teddy Bear!

• RMweb Gold

What's interesting for me is that I could supply my own photos for a number of the crossings mentioned in this thread so far, especially Oddingley, which I visited last week for work purposes, and managed to take a number of detail photos of the structure for modelling purposes - if anyone would like to see them, I'll put some up!

A couple in my local vicinity:

The site of Usworth station and signal box on the mothballed Leamside line.

Follingsby level crossing, looking up towards Wardley coal disposal point. The Freightliner terminal was on the left-hand side here.

The site of the Killingworth station on the ECML.

Holywell crossing on the Blyth and Tyne system.

Newsham on the same system.

And finally Bedlington Station, a bit further north. The platforms and signalbox still remain at Bedlington, awaiting the return of passenger services on the B&T network!

Cheers,

Arp

• RMweb Gold

A quiet crossing on the Newquay branch, near Victoria, Cornwall.

A bit further is Quintrell Downs station.

Then Chapel.

Stu - that last one at Chapel is a gem, I've been looking for examples with buildings to hide a scenic break, this really fits the bill! smile.gif

Here's Dunmere on the old Wenfordbridge line outside Bodmin - still with rails embedded in the road Dunmere - if you go up the road slightly & look back, there's also a warning sign for a level crossing still in place

And just across the Exe from me Topsham on the Exeter - Exmouth line, the LSWR signal box intact but no longer in use

• RMweb Gold

Two on the Central Wales line near Manordeilo. These farm crossings stopped Google in its tracks, and there are several more along this stretch that they didn't attempt: :)

Manordeilo 1

Manordeilo 2

Further south, crossing the A483 near Llandybie:

Llandybie

Martin.

Martin,

The one labelled Manordeilo No1 is presumably Glanrhyd as it is the only Open Crossing on that stretch of line.

The UWC noted as Manordeilo No2 is probably Down Farm No.1 or No.2 - difficult to identify, even by cross reference to the OS Map as it shows one fewer crossing than the number listed for that section!

The bottom one definitely isn't Llandybie Crossing as it is an AOCL and the crossing in that pic is an ABCL - I suspect that it is probably Cilyrychen (69 chains north of Llandybie Crossing) as that is an ABCL and the only other one roughly in that vicinity is at Tirydail just off the end of the platform.

Definitely a good collection of the different crossing types Martin so very useful for 'modern image' modellers as a lot of the relevant detail is on show.

And here was me only thinking last week that best best use of the streetview feature is in picking out 'marks' for road junctions which are likely to be unmarked when planning a journey.

• RMweb Gold

What's interesting for me is that I could supply my own photos for a number of the crossings mentioned in this thread so far, especially Oddingley, which I visited last week for work purposes, and managed to take a number of detail photos of the structure for modelling purposes - if anyone would like to see them, I'll put some up!

Of course it could ruin some of your days out knowing all this info is just waiting to be picked off the 'net :lol:

• RMweb Gold
And just across the Exe from me Topsham on the Exeter - Exmouth line, the LSWR signal box intact but no longer in use

Rich, that's a nice photo, lots of weeds in the track and a good view of the not-often-modelled angled wood strips preventing foot access to the railway.

Stu

From my childhood

Linby Colliery as was

The bungalow to the right of the line used to belong to my Aunt, built by my uncle "Billy" Bodil, I earned pocket money chipping old mortar off the bricks he used to build the bungalow, salvaged from the house he demolished on the site!

Turn 180 degrees and you are looking at the old entrance of Linby Colliery sidings, now just houses ....

My childhood too, I built the road through the colliery site in 1994....!!

Here's the infamous Frinton on Sea crossing, with the automatic barriers being installed.

• RMweb Gold

An attractive lineside building (of railway origin?) at Uttoxeter

edit: Yes: "Hockley Crossing was the location of a temporary station opened 1848. Closed 1880."

Google's camera at Sudbury (near Uttoxeter) suffered a failure of the red sensor on the left, unless this is an interesting variation in LC signage. The camera never lies! :)

Archived