Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

For relaxation he decided to strip loco 705 in preparation for some fine tuning and conversion to AB-2119/1941. Jack asks that his thanks be passed onto Hattons factory workers as they have used virtually no glue in the assembly process of these locos making fiddling a joy, but beware of your knobs (handgrabs) dropping out.

Yes I found that, very handy although I haven't taken it down so far but it certainly saves on the surgery

Had to put my 2 ordered Barclay's on hold at Hattons, 10 days ago, as we were going away and I didn't want them to be delivered while away. They are now packed and ready to go, so will catch up with them soon. Thanks to Hattons for organising the delay.

I have just received my three, as mentioned elsewhere very smart little locos.

Unfortunately my pleasure quickly turned to frustration and disappointment. The first model didn't budge, a loose conenction somewhere no doubt. The second, NCB black, was impossible to open as the little pipes you are instructed to disconnect are hidden behind ladders on either side. Once you do manage to dislocate them removing the chassis cuts the heads off if you are not very careful. The third, the Caledonian wobbles when running on the track, the reversing rod fouls the connecting rods between the wheels.

Given everyone else is raving about them I guess I must be unlucky. I have to admit the P class locos I have are excellent, easy to open up too for DCC fitting.

Good luck!

I have just received my three, as mentioned elsewhere very smart little locos.

Unfortunately my pleasure quickly turned to frustration and disappointment. The first model didn't budge, a loose conenction somewhere no doubt. The second, NCB black, was impossible to open as the little pipes you are instructed to disconnect are hidden behind ladders on either side. Once you do manage to dislocate them removing the chassis cuts the heads off if you are not very careful. The third, the Caledonian wobbles when running on the track, the reversing rod fouls the connecting rods between the wheels.

Given everyone else is raving about them I guess I must be unlucky. I have to admit the P class locos I have are excellent, easy to open up too for DCC fitting.

Good luck!

That does answer one question I've been asking myself- was it just me that found the Barclay difficult to open to chip......

My next one, when my wallet has recovered a little, will be chipped by Hattons.....

Les

That does answer one question I've been asking myself- was it just me that found the Barclay difficult to open to chip......

My next one, when my wallet has recovered a little, will be chipped by Hattons.....

Les

To get the body off and release the pipes above and below the footplate you need some small and very fine tweezers.

The hardest part is keeping the "copper" pipes from sliding back into the gap between the footplate and the boiler. They then block the chassis from dropping out freely and snap off in the process.

It would be advisabel to hold them out of the way for removing and then replacing the chassis with some tooth-picks. The pipes under the chassis could be held by sticky tape as there is no paintwork to damage. 

The hardest part is keeping the "copper" pipes from sliding back into the gap between the footplate and the boiler. They then block the chassis from dropping out freely and snap off in the process.

It would be advisabel to hold them out of the way for removing and then replacing the chassis with some tooth-picks. The pipes under the chassis could be held by sticky tape as there is no paintwork to damage.

Ease the chassis back SLOWLY check

as you go nothing is trapped, it's not a job you can rush , taking your time as you go it fill save a lot of bother. I have done a few.

To get the body off and release the pipes above and below the footplate you need some small and very fine tweezers.

I had very fine tweezers- but the problem was the very tight fit of the works through the aperture (after pipe removal).  This combined with the obvious place to grab it being the valve gear.  This in turn

is unavailable due to the bracket being a press fit into the chassis and therefore not suitable for grabbing the loco by (apart from the old adage "never grab a loco by the valve gear)".   Additionally mine had arrived with the slide bars on one side not having the gear running between them but behind and the bracket semi-detached from the chassis - easy enough to put back but then a reminder as if I needed one that this part of the loco is quite fragile.

Not a lot of fun when something sticks firmly and you daren't apply force to the place that force needs to be applied to unstick.  Katie came very close to hitting the shed wall at high velocity.

Les

The removed pipes are in the packaging - I'm waiting for another day when my wrist is steady enough to reattach them.....

Edited by Les1952

I had two parcels in the mail today, when I got home from work. One was from Kernow Model Railways and contained my second Wickham trolley from Bachmann. The DCC conversion will await a time I can do it in daylight.

The other parcel was from Hatton's and contained my two Andrew Barclay locos. Before DCC fitting, I ran them on DC analogue on the rolling road ... together! The photos show them both running in under power - the blurred wheels and motion demonstrate this.

41798151791_efb1ff3fd8_b.jpg
Hattons Andrew Barclays on Rolling Road - 1 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

41798148411_04f3fb1d21_b.jpg
Hattons Andrew Barclays on Rolling Road - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

After this, I fitted the CT Elektronik DCX75 decoders I had freed up for them, and tested them again. Both ran very smoothly and controllably.

• Like 3

I had two parcels in the mail today, when I got home from work. One was from Kernow Model Railways and contained my second Wickham trolley from Bachmann. The DCC conversion will await a time I can do it in daylight.

The other parcel was from Hatton's and contained my two Andrew Barclay locos. Before DCC fitting, I ran them on DC analogue on the rolling road ... together! The photos show them both running in under power - the blurred wheels and motion demonstrate this.

41798151791_efb1ff3fd8_b.jpg

Hattons Andrew Barclays on Rolling Road - 1 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

41798148411_04f3fb1d21_b.jpg

Hattons Andrew Barclays on Rolling Road - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

After this, I fitted the CT Elektronik DCX75 decoders I had freed up for them, and tested them again. Both ran very smoothly and controllably.

Like the superelevation effect and deary me, Caly chasing after Katie...  He's not going to catch her, she's got a good set of pins!

Like the superelevation effect and deary me, Caly chasing after Katie...  He's not going to catch her, she's got a good set of pins!

:D

If it's of any consolation, the Caley one will actually lose the CR insignia eventually - I mainly wanted the blue livery. Come to that, the Huntley & Palmers Peckett was supposed to lose its lettering, but Hornby did such a great job with that I haven't been able to bring myself to apply the T-cut ... yet.

There's only two NCB 'No 6's left, so get em whilst you can.

Crumbs how many in a production run? Was going to order one in a few weeks, just looked none left at all now! Ho hum!