Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Go to the UKLocos site, then on the left, click on "Search Preserved Railways Stocklist"

Read the instructions on the next page at will, but then click on "Here" at the top of the page (for search page).

(Seemed slow when I just checked it). This opens up a seach form, with a green backgound.

Fill in the following:

General Grouping (Locomotives)

Type (0-4-0ST OC Saddle Tank)

Builder (Andrew Barclay)

Gauge (Std)

(This should give what you want, but refine it further if required) Click on the "Make My Search" button.

Result: 77 locos.

Stewart

Can't be certain but comparing profile pics the overhangs look to be the same with an increase in frame length being between the wheels. So I suppose there may have been a corresponding increase in boiler and tank length.

Drawings anybody?

P

Does the LWB result in a a 1ft longer locomotive? Or did the length over buffer beams stay the same and just the wheelbase differ?

Differences in the Fife Area amended design were: extended wheelbase (7' rather than 6'), larger water tank (1120 against 1070 gallons) and the boiler was 6 inches longer with a larger grate area (the heating surface was also increased), which suggests the whole loco was longer.

(Source A.W. Brotchie's 'The Weymss Private Railway')

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1

Go to the Tanami Desert for a month to come back and find this little beauty! Well done!

A questions to Hatton's - Guess that the cabs must be a little bit plug and play to get the combinations with the main body? Do the SWB 16" share the same chassis with the 14" - looks like the cylinders unscrew to allow the change in size? and the chassis extensions look interchangeable <Snip>

James

<Snip>

Also, the chassis' for the 14" & 16" are very slightly different lengths. Whilst the cylinders may be interchangeable between the two, it would be quite tight to do so due to that small difference in length.

The wheelbase is different. I have a Barclay GA drawing for 14 inch loco 1890/1926 which gives the wheelbase as 5ft 6ins. (Though whether this is so for all 14" locos is something I have no info on.) Edited by JeremyC

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but are the bodyshells for the 14" and the 16" Barclays essentially the same, or are we looking at two separate entities here?

Thanks.

Hatton's OO Gauge Andrew Barclay 14” & 16” 0-4-0ST

attachicon.gifH4-AB14-006_announcement.jpg

Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. were a locomotive building company based in Kilmarnock, Scotland. They became known for producing their standardised saddle tank locomotives, mainly for industrial use. They had a small selection of options available to prospective buyers such as alternative cabs, cylinders, chimneys and tanks.

The most numerous type produced were the 14” & 16” versions, referring to the diameter of the cylinders. Thousands of 0-4-0s were built by Andrew Barclay starting in the late 1800s. Many survived longer than mainline steam under BR, with some still running in the late 1970s. Over 100 are believed to be preserved across the UK.

We are producing a total of eight 14” versions and four 16” versions in a wide variety of liveries and including the variations that would have originally been available from Andrew Barclay themselves.

Variations Include:

• Two different cab front windows

• Four different cab rear windows

• Two types of buffer shanks

• Two types of buffers

• Tank steps (where appropriate)

• Lubricators (where appropriate)

• Two different front spring heights

• Two different water tank heights

attachicon.gifABDetailMatrix.jpg

Model Specifications:

• RP25 wheel profile

• 6-pin DCC socket in tanks

• 5-pole motor

• All wheel pickup

• NEM coupling pockets

• Chemically blackened wheels

• Separately fitted handrails

• Separately fitted drain cock detailing and oil lubricators

• Fully detailed and painted cab interior

These locomotives are being produced exclusively by Hatton’s and are available to pre-order now for £99 each on www.hattons.co.uk/barclay.

Variations Available to Order:

attachicon.gifAB-ProductTable.PNG

We're currently at the First EP stage which you can see below. Delivery is scheduled to be during January/February 2018.

attachicon.gifAB_RMW.jpg

Looks like they could be different, judging by the tables. Two of the variants offered have high tanks and the rest low, and then there are the cab variants. Kit of parts basically.

I ordered the Fina one, not because its going to retain that identity five minutes beyond unwrapping it, but because it ticked the most boxes for the particular version I want

It's one of those, earworm/where have I heard that before compositions.

Mr Waterman (as S,A &W) has to bear a percentage of the responsibility. I'm embarrassed to say I know the answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Spin_Me_Round_(Like_a_Record)

P

Yes, I recognised the tune. Just wondered if the version you used is commercially available? I'm a bit partial to the old accordian... [retreats, carefully]

Edited by Mel_H

• RMweb Premium

Are they the ones on the roof viewable from the train near Kirkcaldy? I am a regular traveller on that line and have often wondered why and think i'm making it up. I assume they are past any hope of preservation now?

Locos from the Muir yard, and Barclays in similar condition, have been restored to working order. They are tough wee beasties.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Are they the ones on the roof viewable from the train near Kirkcaldy? I am a regular traveller on that line and have often wondered why and think i'm making it up. I assume they are past any hope of preservation now?

Yes I've seen those engines near Kirkcaldy from the train sometimes and wondered whether I'd imagined it!

Locos from the Muir yard, and Barclays in similar condition, have been restored to working order. They are tough wee beasties.

Dava

It’s far too easy to say, “Someone should...” as I sit in my armchair but wouldn’t it be nice if they could be taken to somewhere safe and painted or covered in waste oil to stop deterioration until someone is ready to tackle the job?

It’s far too easy to say, “Someone should...” as I sit in my armchair but wouldn’t it be nice if they could be taken to somewhere safe and painted or covered in waste oil to stop deterioration until someone is ready to tackle the job?

I can vaguely recall some discussion of this after I first discovered them myself - they are just round the corner from my brother's place - and seemingly for some unfathomable reason Thomas Muir's have been unco-operative. Don't know why, a couple of the Wemyss austerities escaped from their yard and are still chuffing around.

Mind you I'm idly curious to know where this pair came from originally

• RMweb Gold

EDITED

Similarly, there was an Avonside 0-6-0ST deteriorating outside J Doyle scrapyard for many years.

https://bestieboy.smugmug.com/Trains/Miscellaneous-Steam-Locos/i-GhzQzBh/0/M/1600-Avonside-0-6-0ST-J-Doyle-M.jpg

Edited by Corbs

• RMweb Gold

(off topic)

Similarly, there's an Avonside 0-6-0ST deteriorating outside John Marrow Engineering in Manchester.

https://bestieboy.smugmug.com/Trains/Miscellaneous-Steam-Locos/i-GhzQzBh/0/M/1600-Avonside-0-6-0ST-J-Doyle-M.jpg

That one has been rescued and is now at Bryn Engineering near Bolton.

• Like 2

I can vaguely recall some discussion of this after I first discovered them myself - they are just round the corner from my brother's place - and seemingly for some unfathomable reason Thomas Muir's have been unco-operative. Don't know why, a couple of the Wemyss austerities escaped from their yard and are still chuffing around.

Mind you I'm idly curious to know where this pair came from originally

There are actually four of them, all 0-4-0STs and each slightly different. I think they are all former NCB engines. There's also a North British 0-4-0 diesel that seems to be still on rails, next to the road where there was a level crossing to connect to the mainline but it's easily missed as it has trees growing round and through it.

As requested, here's the dimensions of the chassis frames for the 16" Andrew Barclay.

Once again, thanks very much. That's very helpful.

There are actually four of them, all 0-4-0STs and each slightly different. I think they are all former NCB engines. 

https://goo.gl/maps/6sfNPTdWTSw

P