Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

It would be nice if the gear ratio was such that the model could not exceed 20smph.

I'm guessing it will be capable of doing at least 4 times that value.

No it wouldn't. Slow locos, such as my 108:1 geared shunters on Hellingly are a right pain when upside down doing powered wheel cleaning as the wheels rotate sooooo slowly. 

Just don't turn the knob so far and it will go slowly. (DCC user, don't prod your buttons so hard or whatever ungodly act you perform to make trains move).

• Like 2

"Daylight" was perhaps a bad way to describe what I was looking for, it was more a matter of being able to see the curve of the boiler go back as far as possible. Unfortunately for Hattons, Hornby set the bar very high when they did the Pecketts and that is the standard I am judging them by. OTOH now that Chris Gibbon is interested in a possible conversion chassis I may get one anyway.

Cheers,

David

Yes, that puts it better. Perhaps Hatton’s might check the colour pictures and ensure that the “wall” is painted black on the GWR one. I’ll go with the flow in regretting the wall, understanding why it’s there and (most important of all) probably buying too many. I’m trying very hard to be stuffy about the Caledonian one but it looks stunning and I have an ancient Hornby Caley Pug which is rather lonely. You never know, if it sells out quickly, someone or other will realise that something bigger in Caley blue would be a good investment.

Hi Guy's

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing this happen for 3 reasons 1 so that I can actually have a locomotive that ran not that far from where I live even with its faults 2nd it will look okay on my layout and finally if I ever get my dream layout then I can run all sorts of trains like pickup goods, trains to a coal mine and so on.

So please let's wait and see how good or bad the locomotive is when it arrives I am expecting a good one

Thanks

Alan

No it wouldn't. Slow locos, such as my 108:1 geared shunters on Hellingly are a right pain when upside down doing powered wheel cleaning as the wheels rotate sooooo slowly. 

Just don't turn the knob so far and it will go slowly. (DCC user, don't prod your buttons so hard or whatever ungodly act you perform to make trains move).

Actually I tend to agree with Miss P on this one but being a flexible guy I propose a top speed of 30 smph and then we can all shunt happily and clean wheels.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Yes, that puts it better. Perhaps Hatton’s might check the colour pictures and ensure that the “wall” is painted black on the GWR one. I’ll go with the flow in regretting the wall, understanding why it’s there and (most important of all) probably buying too many. I’m trying very hard to be stuffy about the Caledonian one but it looks stunning and I have an ancient Hornby Caley Pug which is rather lonely. You never know, if it sells out quickly, someone or other will realise that something bigger in Caley blue would be a good investment.

I think I'm right in saying that the Bachmann Collectors' Club's model of 2085 in Caley livery was one of their fastest sellers and commands very high second hand prices.

I have been trying to find out what has happened to "Little Barford". It was at the Middy for some time but is now at  Fengate Farm at Weeting in Norfolk.  It runs on a short stretch of track there and is in steam during the Weeting Steam Rally held every year.  The next chance to see it in steam is July 2018.  The loco is now painted brown without any wasp stripes. but looks very nice from the photo on their website.   

Does anyone have a source of information about North Acton Power Station where it worked.  I lived in Acton for the first few years of my life but never took any interest in the Power Station when I visited there later.  I have seen a picture on flickr showing it working a short train of mineral wagons towards the tipper that emptied the coal into the storage bunkers below.

Gosh....anything else to comment on in only the first couple of days of an accelerated release announcement.....it will be here before some of the dust settles down.....!

The underside of the boiler being the chassis block is really not much of a problem, to cut it away would reduce the weight right where it is needed, and might risk showing more as a visible joint as per several other recent offerings.

Keeping it as flat means easier painting etc, and the area involved is very small, and cluttered with pipes and the main springs. One end of it would have to be hiding the gear train anyway, so if made round on the underside, only about half could be done anyway.

From the pictures etc., it all looks fine, with all the detailing that would be expected on a modern production. There is plenty for individuals to do themselves to add more or make an exact prototype example. I very much doubt any more weight needs to be added, based on the Hornby Peckett haulage and performance.

The availability of two rivals, the Barclay and the P class may well affect sales of the black Peckett as they will be sold in the same sales period, and put pressure on Hornby to get deliveries right for the fully liveried versions later next year. The Dapol B4 is looking a bit out in the cold at present.

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 3

I think it's great that one of these is being made. I've ordered one as I was a driver and used to drive one of these regularly for several years, and spent countless hours in the gap between boiler and motion 'where there's no daylight' oiling up. (I must say a full size one would look extremely odd if a sheet of painted ply was inserted where the barrel curves round!).

Also working in the loco department I was asked by the owner to take a plasma cutter to the cab, and fit a roof hatch and nice rectangular windows to the cab back sheet.

We had one driver who used to do the full 25mph with this thing, which was spectacular, even from a distance.....

• Like 3

I don't think you can gauge how popular a Caledonian Railway model would be by highlighting a model of a locomotive that has probably never even set foot (wheel) in Scotland. 

It proves how popular preserved locomotives are though. Although I reckon they have sold a lot more black ones..... ;)

Jason

Fair enough. However, consider the original Wainwright C, which sold out within a week at a time when that rarely happened. Whilst that ran in the south and appears in that livery in preservation, I should think that the majority of the purchases were because of its magnificent livery. Likewise, I believe that a loco in Caley blue would sell well. I have a soft spot for the E4 but in its pre-group guise it didn’t sell anything like as quickly as the C. The only reason I can think of is that it was brown. Why else would there be clamour for a Caley loco but none for a North British?

This is the one I decided to order on the basis that for a fantasy layout it would be the easiest to modify.

If HL do decide to do a chassis kit so much the better.

Regards

A different beast. W.S.T in my phot is AB 2361 of 1954.

W.T.T from Hattons is based on AB 2134 of 1942. Phots of it in working condition.

https://flic.kr/p/dRbdUi

https://flic.kr/p/9QD8RG

and preserved.

14660732557_e79ec53d47_b.jpgAndrew Barclay 0-4-0ST No. 2134 W.T.T., Carnforth Open Day, 26/07/2008 by Lee Scott, on Flickr

P

• Like 2

I've read this thread and wondered why some are so determined to criticise.

I must confess that I would have hoped for this one-

post-13358-0-68896800-1505576145_thumb.jpg

However, once the models apear and I can get a good look at the cabs I might manage a "looky-likey" for NCB No.32.

However I HAVE ordered this one-

post-13358-0-00908000-1505576326_thumb.jpg

... even though it has turned red and acquired a name since I photographed it at Keighley on (I think) the day of the BR 15-guinea special.  I won't be repainting it- life is too short.  

Someone mentioned fitting a vertical motor and leaving the boiler free- here is Smelly Nellie from "No Place".  A lovely looking loco with the motor mounted vertically BUT at the price of not having enough adhesive weight to guarantee pickup over even the shortest dead section, and nowhere to add a stay alive- the tank is full of lead and chip but it isn't enough. Nellie is a shed pet- looks lovely but doesn't get run.

post-13358-0-80266700-1505576555_thumb.jpg

Any r-t-r loco is a compromise.  More people would be upset by a loco that wasn't heavy enough that than will be offended by what is perceived as a "wall" or "skirt" .

Well done Hattons- my pre-order for one (and a class P) may yet become more.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3