Modelling Flower Heads

• RMweb Gold

Now I know you can buy ready made flowers from the likes of Busch.I bought some lupins but soon ran out of the coloured heads.Any scenery experts have any ideas on making some more myself.I have plenty of leaves left.

post-126-126996970934_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I only thought of Fimo because it comes in different colours.

You can say that again 96701.I'd never heard of it before.They certainly do a range of colours.

Hi, you could dip the stems your using in PVA then dip each one in to coloured embossing powder, available from craft shops and then leave to dry. Lots of useful things found there, when I go with my wife.

Nigelcool.gif

• RMweb Gold

Could I use Milliput instead perhaps ?

Talking of Milliput.Does it have a shelf life as my pack has gone rather hard .The two 'sausage' lengths have been kept seperate in storage.Will they still be workable ?

Talking of Milliput.Does it have a shelf life as my pack has gone rather hard .The two 'sausage' lengths have been kept seperate in storage.Will they still be workable ?

Give it a quick nuke in the micro wave, I have done that before, makes it easier to bland as well.

• 3 years later...

The flowers just about seen in the scene below were some kind of dried plant head found in a florrist.

Apart from these, I have found dried yarrow heads perfect for flowers and this plant grows in wild abandon nationwide in about every hedgerow anywhere from spring to mid summer.

Cut it long on the stalks, immerse them in a one part glycerine three parts water mix for about a week where the flowere heads will draw up the solution and pereserve the flowere heads indefinately.

A bit of messing about I know, but harvest and treat enough and you'll have all the miniature plant heads you'll ever need - just vary the colouring for effect.

Allan.

post-18579-0-35066200-1378549522.jpg

You can say that again 96701.I'd never heard of it before.They certainly do a range of colours.

As someone who has in the past used Fimo for both model flowers in 4mm scale (roses) and to make wargaming figures I can confirm that it is relatively easy to sculpt and doesn't have the stickiness associtated with Milliput. It is however not that easy to get really fine detail in Fimo so professional figure makers used to use milliput. 

To get the pattern on the roses I made I made small balls of Fimo and then pressed in a petal pattern using a fine jewlers screwdirver. Painted up and fixed to a horsehair and flock stem network they looked quite good. Sadly all long gone years ago with my old unfinished layout.

As for longevity, baked in the oven as per instructions the dungeons and dragons figures i made as a teenager are still as good as ever some 40 years later.

I would agree with the suggestions for scatter based stuff for flower heads, my local model shop stocks this stuff in small pots, a large range of colours and although expensive per pot, they are big enough to last years! (Usual disclaimer).

http://www.flower-soft.co.uk/Cart/EC-Results.php?SECCategoryID=27

Woodland scenics do similar stuff but only a few colours.

Simon

Archived