Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

2 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

Blimey, they must like you.

I'll admit that to know me is to love me, but instead of 100 listings at 80% off every 2 weeks I've only got 100 listings at 100% once over 8 weeks. As I usually have 80-90 listings I re-do them every 4 weeks before the old listings end, which I can't now do. The Lord giveth with one hand.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/02/2024 at 19:10, NHY 581 said:

And there are always the classifieds on here. 

...except they are not working at the moment!

• Informative/Useful 1

Logged into eBay yesterday to find my latest purchase had been refunded, and a rather indignant message from the seller saying "I took the photo, and the buckets and milk churns are the size of a ok(oo?) man." Which is fine but I didn't buy any milk churns. Or buckets.

Anyway, seems that was meant for someone else, but he "can't find" my items. Whether they are really lost or he just refunded the wrong order and doesn't want the hassle of sorting it out i'm not sure. The upside is after looking again at the part I won it turns out that it wouldn't have fitted anyway so every cloud.....👍

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Sold a couple of spare bogies several weeks ago and never noticed that the status had never changed to Delivered from Dispatched. 

So the buyer was justified in sending me a somewhat abrupt message asking if his goods were ever going to arrive.  I replied within minutes giving an apology and stating that clearly the courier had lost them as it did show in the tracking that the item was collected by them from the parcelshop and then stopped updating . I gave him a full refund and advised that the goods might yet arrive and if they did he could keep them for free as compensation for the irritation.   

M**********r waited 24 hours until the refund had gone through then left bad feedback stating that I'd never sent the goods and had refused a refund.  Actually going through eBay about this to try to get the feedback removed as they will at least be able to see the messages and transactions

Edited by Captain Slough
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I received an e-mail from eBay this morning reminding me that I had not yet left feedback for two recent purchases.

One has still not arrived, nor is it showing on eBay as delivered.  The other, as eBay are aware, was returned due to wrong item sent and I am presently awaiting a refund.

I won't leave feedback until both issues are resolved, and the nature of my feedback will depend on whether the seller resolves the matter or whether I will need to enlist eBay's help.

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

I received an e-mail from eBay this morning reminding me that I had not yet left feedback for two recent purchases.

One has still not arrived, nor is it showing on eBay as delivered.  The other, as eBay are aware, was returned due to wrong item sent and I am presently awaiting a refund.

I won't leave feedback until both issues are resolved, and the nature of my feedback will depend on whether the seller resolves the matter or whether I will need to enlist eBay's help.

There is in any case no obligation to leave feedback

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

There is in any case no obligation to leave feedback

....and indeed, many never bother. I personally find nagware that pesters me to leave feedback on any site, not just ebay has the effect of me being far less likely to do so.

People are suffering from Feedback Pester Fatigue I think.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

I always leave feedback but currently getting naused to leave feedback for two items. both never arrived and got refunded so the most positive I could leave would be neutral, and as a seller myself I'm always reluctant to leave non-positive feedback unless the seller really *****s me off, but it's still reminding me like I've forgotten. . need to have a feature to cancel leaving feedback.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 16/03/2024 at 12:36, cessna152towser said:

Had a new one this morning.  An overdue purchase is at last showing on eBay tracking as on its way to local Evri courier at 07:21 this morning.   However when I click on the tracking link to Evri, the tracking number is showing a parcel as handed in to the local parcels office at 08:44 this morning to be returned to J.D.Sports, with a new tracking number issued this morning and no reference to the tracking history already showing on eBay's own page.   My purchase is a Hornby item from a private seller and nothing to do with J.D.Sports, nor was the item which I returned last week.    Hopefully it is only a wrong tracking link from eBay and the courier might actually turn up with my overdue package today.

Update:- Evri courier duly arrived early this evening and delivered my Hornby wagon.   eBay had seemingly given me a wrong link to the tracking website.

Edited by cessna152towser
updated
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Perhaps through ignorance of the rules of eBay messaging,  I get annoyed with buyers who ask me to remove an item and sell off eBay.  EBay monitor messages and I do not wish to lose my ability to sell items on the site due someone trying to get an item a bit cheaper.  I would rather sell at my listing price and pay the fees than risk any retaliatory action from eBay.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I have had similar messages, the most recent being simply:

"£90 cash today."

I ignored it and it was followed by:

"£100 cash if I can collect today."

I let the auction run as always and the item sold for £310.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Perhaps through ignorance of the rules of eBay messaging,  I get annoyed with buyers who ask me to remove an item and sell off eBay.  EBay monitor messages and I do not wish to lose my ability to sell items on the site due someone trying to get an item a bit cheaper.  I would rather sell at my listing price and pay the fees than risk any retaliatory action from eBay.

I think they look for keywords in your messages. I had a very odd experience when I bought some items in the usual way. The buyer didn't want to send through the post so offered to deliver. because he only lived about 20miles away I offered to meet him at a motorway service station half way. The problems started when we tried to swop mobile numbers as ebay would delete them. They obviously weren't reading them manually  because I had paid and ebay had been paid.

I agree with you on the unsoliticed offers though. My experience is they're normally dealers, and have the attitude that they're doing you a favour by offering (usually) less than it would go for if you let the auction run. I usually tell them I never cancel an auction ahead of time, but there's always the possibility that they get the hump, buy it anyway, and then leave crappy feedback

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/03/2024 at 12:36, cessna152towser said:

One has still not arrived, nor is it showing on eBay as delivered. 

In a similar situation but to add insult to injury the seller, despite sending a tracking code, has relisted the item! I am told its now on its way to me as I refused a refund of the purchase price less the postage.

• Friendly/supportive 2

49 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

I think they look for keywords in your messages. I had a very odd experience when I bought some items in the usual way. The buyer didn't want to send through the post so offered to deliver. because he only lived about 20miles away I offered to meet him at a motorway service station half way. The problems started when we tried to swop mobile numbers as ebay would delete them. They obviously weren't reading them manually  because I had paid and ebay had been paid.

I agree with you on the unsoliticed offers though. My experience is they're normally dealers, and have the attitude that they're doing you a favour by offering (usually) less than it would go for if you let the auction run. I usually tell them I never cancel an auction ahead of time, but there's always the possibility that they get the hump, buy it anyway, and then leave crappy feedback

Usually if not always I politely decline offers even if they are way over the starting bid (certainly not if below) as I feel its not fair on those watching and waiting till the end of the listing intending to bid at the last moment. My one fear of this action is to discourage the modeler who desperately needs the part. But to maximize the sale value I always try to end the listing early on a Sunday evening.  But I must admit to starting prices close to the items value so rarely get requests/offers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, hayfield said:

But to maximize the sale value I always try to end the listing early on a Sunday evening.

It seems to be widely held on here that Sunday evening is a good time to sell but I have no idea why. In years and years of using ebay I have invariably got most of my bargains on sundays when there is often far less bidding than comparable items I've been following that ended at other times.

Clearly this is anecdotal but I've always found it pretty quiet.

Edited by Hal Nail
typo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

It seems to be widely held on here that Sunday evening is a good time to sell but I have no idea why. In years and years of using ebay I have invariably got most of my bargains on sundays when there is often far less bidding than comparable items I've been following that ended at other times.

Clearly this is anecdotal but I've always found it pretty quiet.

Hal Nail

That's a bit of interesting information and perhaps I may try other days/times. However I thought my best buys were usually are at times other than weekends, either very late or during working hours. The one thing in common is not the time but how the item has been listed, poor photos and or poor description, plus sellers not quite knowing what they are selling. Whilst I have brought items well presented and described, I doubt if any could be called good buys

The other thing is eBay's offers usually are over the weekends

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Hal Nail

That's a bit of interesting information and perhaps I may try other days/times. However I thought my best buys were usually are at times other than weekends, either very late or during working hours. The one thing in common is not the time but how the item has been listed, poor photos and or poor description, plus sellers not quite knowing what they are selling. Whilst I have brought items well presented and described, I doubt if any could be called good buys

The other thing is eBay's offers usually are over the weekends

Yes all that is true - I bought a rare seatpost for my bike at a fraction of the normal rate. I found it by accident browsing for something else so it was only afterwards, wondering why no one else bid, I noticed they had spelt the name wrong!

I used to find mid-afternoons on weekdays always got furious late bidding but then 5.30pm onwards was dead as people were on the way home. Of course covid and working from home may well have changed that.

I tend to do buy it now these days which makes this irrelevant (and potentially out of date!)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I've given up bidding on weekend evenings since Christmas as anything I want tends to go miles over what I consider it's value, but then I'm looking for bargains.  Not sure if this is the new "norm", or just one of those periodic fluctuations where demand outstrips supply - an influx of people who used to prefer to buy from Hattons perhaps? Saying that I have picked up a few good deals on a Sunday  evening after everyone have finished going bezerk, but the best buys are usually the ones that finish mid-week before 7pm. No idea why people choose to finish an auction when everyone is at work?

Selling wise, I don't time my auctions to end on the weekend as I always list for 10 days so potential buyers get the maximum chance to search and find it - I basically want the people actively searching for an item, rather than someone who just does a search for interesting items finishing  in the next 48 hours on a Friday evening. As long as it ends around 8pm I'm happy.  Everything i list is in the dirt cheap category so rarely is there another listing cheaper than mine. Some people would say that is risky but nowadays I always get the market value I want or more, probably because there are so many other sellers asking absurd prices.

I guess I miss out on the weekends bidders with money burning a hole in their pocket, but the flipside is if your auction ends on a weekday evening then often your item is the only one available, while on a weekend you're up against sometimes 5+ people selling the same thing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s taken me an hour to get my account closed, passed from one representative to another

What part of “I wish to close my account” does eBay not understand?

Hopefully it’s done now

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I haven't won anything by auction bidding for months, too many snipe bidders piling in at the last minute and sending things way way over what they are worth at the moment, more so since Hattons threw in the towel (and I am not convinced some of the overpriced S/H on offer on Ebay came from Hattons in the first place, bought purely to sell on at a hefty profit, too many chiselers and hawkers these days for my taste.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a little annecdotal information but for years I have found that my best selling day is Sunday afternoon.  I never use auction style bidding as I have always preferred "Buy it Now" so that both the buyer and myself know the selling price.

• Like 1