Hornby APPOINTS NEW CEO

MGR Hooper!

Hopefully, as Oxford own their own factory, Hornby's "supply chain issues" will improve and time span from "announcement" to "production" improve as a result.

That was one key thing, apart from the people involved, that struck me. More/better control over production on the horizon for Hornby?

Colin

Guest Midland Mole

I'm not sure if I see this as good news. Makes me worried that as Hornby is the bigger, more famous brand, we will end up seeing Oxford asset stripped in order to keep Hornby on life support for a little longer.

I really hope I am wrong, but if other examples of business practices in the modern world have shown anything it's that mergers like this rarely end well for either company. :unsure:

Alex

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if I see this as good news. Makes me worried that as Hornby is the bigger, more famous brand, we will end up seeing Oxford asset stripped in order to keep Hornby on life support for a little longer.

Or Corgi heading to Oxford..

I'm not convinced this is good news at all. A potential combination of Hornby design and Oxford production could be very good, but a combination of Oxford design and Hornby production could produce expensive garbage.

Also, if I were in Hornby's (currently excellent) design team, I'm not sure I'd be too chuffed at having Uncle Simon breathing down one's neck and trying to interfere.
  • Like 3

Model Collector had an e-mail direct from Lyndon Davies which says:

"You will have seen the recent announcement this morning on the LSE.

"LCD and its operating companies in China and North America owned and controlled by myself continue to run as an independent group of companies – so things continue as normal on the Oxford front.

"As many of you know Oxford is a family company, in recent years Eloise my daughter has played a big role in the running of the company, having herself been introduced to manufacturing at the age of two, on the production lines of the Swansea factory. Earlier this year she stepped up to roll of Managing Director and continues to expand and promote the Oxford brand under my guidance."

So, apart from Hornby stating "Hornby is exploring the opportunity to invest in LCD. Further information will be released in due course." there is nothing to say anything about mergers, take-overs or rationalisations.

Does nobody read anything anymore?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"LCD and its operating companies in China and North America owned and controlled by myself continue to run as an independent group of companies – so things continue as normal on the Oxford front.

"As many of you know Oxford is a family company, in recent years Eloise my daughter has played a big role in the running of the company, having herself been introduced to manufacturing at the age of two, on the production lines of the Swansea factory. Earlier this year she stepped up to roll of Managing Director and continues to expand and promote the Oxford brand under my guidance."

So, apart from Hornby stating "Hornby is exploring the opportunity to invest in LCD. Further information will be released in due course." there is nothing to say anything about mergers, take-overs or rationalisations.

Ah, do we now know the source of Oxford's inaccuracies?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lionheart and Dapol to be repeated with Hornby & Oxford? I see a lot of opportunities to take advantage of Oxford die-cast expertise to turn Corgi around and Hornby train expertise.

I think the big possibility is Corgi at long last getting the sorting-out it so desperately although effectively that might put it onto direct competition with the other diecast range - that could get interesting.

I'm not at all sure what it might mean for the model railway range - Hornby seem to be doing quite well at present developing r-t-r models and we must sincerely hope that will continue with no reduction in standards of detail or accuracy.  So there should remain, and hopefully develop, a sort of Hornby hi-fi range building on recent developments.  The big sort out needs to come with Railroad but here again there could be some possible conflict with Oxford although whatever happens we must surely hope that Hornby keeps its development and design out of Oxford's hands if examples of both are any guide.

Overall I would worry about any 'Chinese walls' that might be supposedly erected between the two companies - we have never really found out where decisions to proceed with whichever new models are made in Hornby but it is seemingly approved at Board level if not originating there.  If we stand that alongside the Oxford organisation are we now looking at one person potentially having knowledge of developments in both railway ranges and both diecast ranges, and is that person also in the picture about any third party work being undertaken by Oxford or as commissions by Hornby?  Potentially it could shift a major point of influence in the r-t-r hobby into one set of hands which might not necessarily be a good thing.

On the other hand the positive is that someone with a knowledge of certain parts of the trade is finally getting involved right at the top in Hornby.

The dream team results?  

1. Corgi and Oxford Diecast ranges amalgamated with a spot of badge engineering for marketing purposes,

2. Hornby hi-fi railway range continuing as a clearly identifiable market area and brand,

3. Railroad becoming more clearly identified and in some respects merging with Oxford Rail (and subsuming it at Hornbyish quality level with Oxfordish pricing).

4. The Humbrol brand given a good kicking and being made fit for purpose,

5. Airfix continuing as if but possibly with a railway and/or road vehicle linked range of kits (mainly scenic items perhaps?).

6. Scalextric either loved or left.

7.  Continental outline model railway items progressed with better marketing leading product development.

But if Oxford remains a separate company then we can I think only see the 'dream team' list emerging as a rebuild and better brand/marketing identity for existing Hornby Hobbies ranges.  It will be interesting to see which happens.

• Like 3

I think the big possibility is Corgi at long last getting the sorting-out it so desperately although effectively that might put it onto direct competition with the other diecast range - that could get interesting.

I'm not at all sure what it might mean for the model railway range - Hornby seem to be doing quite well at present developing r-t-r models and we must sincerely hope that will continue with no reduction in standards of detail or accuracy.  So there should remain, and hopefully develop, a sort of Hornby hi-fi range building on recent developments.  The big sort out needs to come with Railroad but here again there could be some possible conflict with Oxford although whatever happens we must surely hope that Hornby keeps its development and design out of Oxford's hands if examples of both are any guide.

Overall I would worry about any 'Chinese walls' that might be supposedly erected between the two companies - we have never really found out where decisions to proceed with whichever new models are made in Hornby but it is seemingly approved at Board level if not originating there.  If we stand that alongside the Oxford organisation are we now looking at one person potentially having knowledge of developments in both railway ranges and both diecast ranges, and is that person also in the picture about any third party work being undertaken by Oxford or as commissions by Hornby?  Potentially it could shift a major point of influence in the r-t-r hobby into one set of hands which might not necessarily be a good thing.

On the other hand the positive is that someone with a knowledge of certain parts of the trade is finally getting involved right at the top in Hornby.

The dream team results?  

1. Corgi and Oxford Diecast ranges amalgamated with a spot of badge engineering for marketing purposes,

2. Hornby hi-fi railway range continuing as a clearly identifiable market area and brand,

3. Railroad becoming more clearly identified and in some respects merging with Oxford Rail (and subsuming it at Hornbyish quality level with Oxfordish pricing).

4. The Humbrol brand given a good kicking and being made fit for purpose,

5. Airfix continuing as if but possibly with a railway and/or road vehicle linked range of kits (mainly scenic items perhaps?).

6. Scalextric either loved or left.

7.  Continental outline model railway items progressed with better marketing leading product development.

But if Oxford remains a separate company then we can I think only see the 'dream team' list emerging as a rebuild and better brand/marketing identity for existing Hornby Hobbies ranges.  It will be interesting to see which happens.

Out of all of Hornby's groups, I'd say Airfix has perhaps been the best in terms of improving its output and quality, the recently retooled 1/72 and 1/48 aircraft have been particularly good and well recieved iirc (I've not bought model aircraft for a good number of years now).

However, the suggestion of expanding to add a Railway range to Airfix is one Hornby should have done. Ditch the Scaledale range and rebrand them Airfix (or perhaps Corgi?) and keep Hornby purely rail and stock to go on them. Bringing the Humbrol range under the Airfix banner might work as well perhaps.

If the EU derived stuff isn't performing, ditch it and concentrate efforts on the core business' of Scalectrix, Hornby Railways and Airfix kits.

Hornby Class 87 and Oxford Mk3's

A match made in heaven :)

Not sure a high quality Class 87 with cheap, railroad calibre Oxford Mk3's is what I would call a match made in heaven. (for those not familiar take a look at the photos posted in the last couple of pages in the Oxford Mk3 thread, and the way the window frames stick out from the body unlike the almost smooth to the body frames of the real thing.

Edited by Gerald Henriksen

• RMweb Gold

Lots of us do indeed read - the big question, as with so much of what we read, is whether we are inclined to believe it.  And in any case circumstances can and will change - I doubt if any contemporary business structure or arrangement between companies is set in stone.  For example until a few weeks ago a certain person in Ireland plus many of his customers believed absolutely that the airline he controls could do no real wrong and will continue to expand exponentially with its policy of rock bottom pricing - there's been a blip and already it has scrubbed (or deferred?) a planned takeover of another airline.

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

I never said anything about them merging now, my worry is about the future and what will happen if Hornby slips into worse financial trouble. I read it all very carefully and to be honest none of it gave me much hope for the situation.

Alex

As usual very thoughtful Mike.... :-)

Think Airfix are probably too busy with the aviation kit market - Walrus anybody ? - to look at even their AFV/ship range at the moment let alone worrying about possible competition for Skaledale range. A 1/35th 9F kit would be nice though.

Overall I would worry.........

That is an interesting aspect of things where a potential conflict of interest might arise or even concerns about "collusion". Wonder what Bachmann have made of this.

4. The Humbrol brand given a good kicking and being made fit for purpose

That nothing so far appears to have been done about Humbrol is one of life's little mysteries

Personally I hope they keep a decent amount of clear water between them.

Stu

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hornby model, Oxford price? :jester:

Not with Simon Kohler back I suspect!   Good move for Hornby profitability , not sure about the pockets of the rest of us.

Seriously this is good news for Hornby .  We have always said they needed someone who knew about the industry and model railways at the top as opposed to some corporate type , so this really is good news for them, and if it ensures Hornbys survival for the rest of us . Also you can take the appointment of people with knowledge of the industry as being a sign  that Pheonix are not going to be asset stripping. In fact it looks like they are genuinely trying to build something here . So well done them

Is it unreserved good news? I don't think so .  I would suspect that Oxford may now bow out of  the model railway market or get absorbed. After all can you see the guy at the head of both companies competing with himself, even if he has turned over the reigns to his daughter . I don't think so. Definitely a conflict of interest there.  If so it may also remove the newest Lowest cost competitor from the market . This is not good. Oxford was like a breath of fresh air , so I'm a bit disappointed overall.

Simon Kohler, well I'm sure hes a nice gentleman and many on here love him because you stopped and chatted to you at exhibitions, so a genuine amiable public persona. But did anything ever change through discussions with hin? Also he brought in higher prices , I'm thinking M7 here because he knew the enthusiast would pay for it. So good news for Hornby max revenues I suspect not good  for the market as prices will go up.  Bachmann, Dapol and DJ are much of a muchness pricewise (Bachmann leading the way of course) . The breath of fresh air in pricing was Oxford...................

Add in Railroad/ Main range confusion, and I remember a few years ago Hornby announced they would only be supplying DCC fitted locos .  Not sure Simons return is so good!

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

There were some bad mistakes made at Hornby a few years ago like an unnecessarily large number of parts to make up a carriage (Gresley and Stanier), followed by the incredulous 'Clever Design' dive to the opposite and of the bar with far too much moulded on detail. Both occurred on SK's watch.  Hornby needs someone who can see very clearly the most appropriate material to use for a given part and the simplest and most cost effective way of producing a model. 

I am rather surprised no one mentioned the GWR Dean Goods seeing as it is a product of both houses.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In Hornby's current dire financial circumstances, could someone please explain what "invest in LCD" might mean?

It works like this - Oxford Diecast had 788 issued shares at 5 November last year divided between 68 Ordinary Shares and 720 A Stock Shares.  LCD Enterprises at that date owned or controlled at least 75% of those shares (no exact figure available).  The sole director of Oxford Diecast was Lyndon C Davies and Catherine Davies was the Company Secretary.

As at 16 December 2016 LCD Enterprises had 100 shares split 60 Ordinary and 40 Class A and at that date Lyndon C Davies held all the Ordinary Shares and Catherine Davies held all the Class A Shares, the former was the sole director of the company while the latter was the Company Secretary.

These details are up to December 2016 when the most recent flings were made at Companies House and things may well have changed since then.

But what it could mean is that if Hornby 'invest in LCD' they would in effect be taking a share in the company which controls Oxford Diecast - all depends what you read and how you read it ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster

Lots of us do indeed read - the big question, as with so much of what we read, is whether we are inclined to believe it.  And in any case circumstances can and will change - I doubt if any contemporary business structure or arrangement between companies is set in stone.  For example until a few weeks ago a certain person in Ireland plus many of his customers believed absolutely that the airline he controls could do no real wrong and will continue to expand exponentially with its policy of rock bottom pricing - there's been a blip and already it has scrubbed (or deferred?) a planned takeover of another airline.

Any comparison between Gobshoite O Leary and Taff Oxford is spurious.  Taff is a regular on the Oxford Diecast Collectors Facebook page and at shows, and has a good, honest relationship with the diecast collecting fraternity (OK, the rail side is less communicative but given the reactions of some on this forum and others, I'm not surprised) so whereas I'd be inclined to take anything yer man at Ryanair says with the whole stocks of the Cheshire salt industry, if Taff says the fact he is taking on the CEO role at Hornby will make no difference at Oxford, I'd be inclined to believe him.

​I suspect Hornby are buying in someone who has experience of dealing and managing Chinese manufacturers, can apply some discipline and focus to the diecast operations which have become very lacklustre, has a good overview of the collecting and enthusiast market and can bring some dynamism and leadership to a refocused (yet again) Hornby conglomerate.  I genuinely think his direct link with Chinese manufacturing is probably the major driving force behind his appointment.

• Like 4

There are 2 things that strike me in this. The first is that Lyndon Davies was originally part of the original Corgi setup in Swansea so he knows that market inside out, they also had a previous relationship with Hornby as they produced the Scale Autos when Skaledale first came out.. The other is that Oxford have their own dedicated plant in China which according to Lyndon(when Oxford Rail first started) had produced Model Railway stuff for other companies. There is no evidence that this was ever for Hornby but it could be that in the future they would(under Hornby control) have access to the production facilities at the Oxford factory.