RMweb

Bachmann 00 61xx GWR tank?

swiftbeam

• RMweb Gold

Exactly Ian. People on here often seem to forget for every member that moans and complains, there is another who is genuinely offering advice to the manufacturers that do read this forum and appreciate the input into making a model the best it can be.

And what also should not be forgotten is that manufacturers in fact DO seek advice from members of this forum who are in an authoritative position with regard to the development of new products.It is happening but for obvious reasons it is not "broadcast".The problem facing any such company is sorting the genuine from the rest who with due regard are armchair experts.Would you like that task ?

• RMweb Gold

And what also should not be forgotten is that manufacturers in fact DO seek advice from members of this forum who are in an authoritative position with regard to the development of new products.It is happening but for obvious reasons it is not "broadcast".The problem facing any such company is sorting the genuine from the rest who with due regard are armchair experts.Would you like that task ?

If the task, such as you call it, is a profession, then yes.

It shouldn't make any difference for plastic pots & pans, skyscrapers, luxury motor cars or hard-ar5e toilet paper.

The way it's going, we're into the livery next. Wrong shade of green? BR(W) or  mid-chrome?

Ian.

The OP did specify a 61xx in his question and, by extension, that's close enough to a 5101 to make it sensible to cover both. A total of 210 locos out of a possible 290 (I think), and the ones that survived longest.

There has been plenty of time for someone to take that on, so I don't really see it happening any time soon and the more involved variations would most likely be left well alone. I'd certainly not expect anyone to diverge from 5' 8" driving wheels.

John

I was replying to another post though.

I believe the only major external difference between the 31xx/41xx/51xx/61xx/81xx classes was the wheel diameter on the 81xx.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

So what evidence do we have that a large prairie is being made ?

I’ve only seen two very circumstantial pieces...

A picture of one in the background of a well known retailer known for dropping future unannounced models in the backgrounds whilst showing something new, but that in itself could mean nothing at all. (And said loco has not been seen since).

A visit to Didcot by a scanning team, who may or may not have scanned one.

Unless there are any other clues I’ve not seen, then this seems to be a thread about nothing.

Edited by adb968008

So what evidence do we have that a large prairie is being made ?

I’ve only seen two very circumstantial pieces...

A picture of one in the background of a well known retailer known for dropping future unannounced models in the backgrounds whilst showing something new, but that in itself could mean nothing at all. (And said loco has not been seen since).

A visit to Didcot by a scanning team, who may or may not have scanned one.

Unless there are any other clues I’ve not seen, then this seems to be a thread about nothing.

Do you know where we can find that image?

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't mind betting it's a video on Youtube, about a 42xx. Either that, or it's a Kitmaster being offered on Eh-Bah-Gum.

"Great Western Locos? Bah! They're all the same to me...."

Anyway, it's not the prairie, or the pannier you should watch out. That big 0-8-0 tank looks spot on.

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To my fellow posters, readers, etc on this subject, may I respectfully draw your attention to #5 on this topic.

60 posts of froth.

I'm as interested as anyone about a uprated Large Prairie as the next person. I'd put some faith in Hornby turning out a good quality Western tank locomotive. My only worry is that Mr. Kohler might have reservations about going through the mill again.

Ian.

To my fellow posters, readers, etc on this subject, may I respectfully draw your attention to #5 on this topic.

60 posts of froth.

I'm as interested as anyone about a uprated Large Prairie as the next person. I'd put some faith in Hornby turning out a good quality Western tank locomotive. My only worry is that Mr. Kohler might have reservations about going through the mill again.

Ian.

Ah. But we aren't really talking about Hornby as this in the Bachmann part of the forum....

As to the "60 posts of froth", you do realise that you have contributed a fair few of them?  :sarcastichand:

Jason 

• RMweb Gold

Ah. But we aren't really talking about Hornby as this in the Bachmann part of the forum....

As to the "60 posts of froth", you do realise that you have contributed a fair few of them?  :sarcastichand:

Jason 

Guilty as charged, M'Lud.

The offender would like you to take his relative age & senility into consideration, and the fact he goes all wibbly-wobbly whenever he sees the word J94 in the written form.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

60 posts of froth.

Ian.

Ah..but what about that nice Mr. Isles...he doesn't know the words to "Ten Spokes On My Waggon... :jester:  and :offtopic:

• RMweb Gold

Please take my own crimes into consideration when charging tomparryharry, m'lud.  If Bachmann ever release a 61xx or a GW large prairie in any form I'll show my arse on Queen Street (Cardiff saying , Queen Street is the main drag).  But's it's not all froth; the RTR boys read this stuff as part of their market research, and the sheer frequency of responses might suggest to Hornby that a re-release might be worth looking at, even as a backburner project.  I wouldn't mind replacing my antediluvian Airfix with a model that runs to modern standards and has cab details, better slide bars and pistons, sprung buffers, lamp irons, and all the stuff we have come to expect from modern releases.

The 'new autocoach please' thread on the Hatton's section is similar, froth based on no more than that they'd brought a loco that is auto fitted and someone thought that they might want to bring out a suitably coach to go with it on no evidence whatsoever.  But we are now aware that two auto trailer bodies, a diagram U and a Z, are available as basic scratchbuilding aids, from Rue de Endropal, so something has been achieved by the effort.

Can that also be taken into account, m'lud.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Authoritative:  able to be trusted as being accurate or true; reliable.

Well that's not worked awfully well recently for a couple of Ready to Run releases across the scales, so perhaps there's more attention to detail required from commissioners and manufacturers in weeding out the 'armchair experts'.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't mind replacing my antediluvian Airfix with a model that runs to modern standards and has cab details, better slide bars and pistons, sprung buffers, lamp irons, and all the stuff we have come to expect from modern releases.

Can that also be taken into account, m'lud.

We live in hope of a new model  from anyone, I gave up hope with my Airfix Prairies on Saturday I picked up 3 of the latest Hornby offerings S/H but never run all are DCC ready, have lamp irons, sprung buffers, etc so not that far of a decent model, there is glass to go in the front spectacle plate and maybe if they fit some valve gear from the Hornby Grange it's a cheap retro fit plus all the other super detailing parts you would normally plonk on a RTR the best bit about them is they run quietly it's better than having none at all.  :senile:

• RMweb Gold

Now now, Mr. Johnster, you're trying to lead me into trouble.

I did go to Whitstable once: It was closed.

Ian.

That's nothing - I went to Dorset once and it was closed.  An entire county beats a seaside town I reckon.  (and this now becomes a thread picking up on the dreaded word 'county' so let's continue to treat it with the  jocularity it deserves.  And I hope that Johnster chap steers clear of Cardiff Queen St with threats like those (not to be taken as a hint about what Bachmann are doing but in this sort of place someone will probably be daft enough to do so ).

• RMweb Premium

That's nothing - I went to Dorset once and it was closed.  An entire county beats a seaside town I reckon.  (and this now becomes a thread picking up on the dreaded word 'county' so let's continue to treat it with the  jocularity it deserves.  And I hope that Johnster chap steers clear of Cardiff Queen St with threats like those (not to be taken as a hint about what Bachmann are doing but in this sort of place someone will probably be daft enough to do so ).

I cab beat that. Was driving back from the Champagne region of France to Belgium one Sunday and the whole of that part of France (at least) was closed. We only just made it to a petrol station across the border...

As to the large prairie, are you really saying that any manufacturer would be daft to produce one...?

I presume you mean someone will be daft enough to read your post as saying Bachmann is doing one, but it doesn't have to be read that way :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

County? Tank? Not surely, no! Not (gasp) a County Tank?

Boom times are here! As 20,000+ model railway forum readers put their keyboards in for a 50,000 gossip service.

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I only made the 'threat' conditional on Bachmann producing a 61xx, I reckon Queen Street is safe enough for now.  From me, anyway....

• RMweb Gold

County? Tank? Not surely, no! Not (gasp) a County Tank?

Boom times are here! As 20,000+ model railway forum readers put their keyboards in for a 50,000 gossip service.

Ian.

If it 's at all possible to be serious on this thread :scratchhead: the "County" word carries some resonance.A full fat Hawksworth variety is long overdue...no I'm not frothing :jester:  just some extra soap suds from the washing up that's all. But I conclude that there's about as much likelihood of that as Bachmann producing a Prairie or sadly even a Manor to 21st C standard  :no: