The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Simple mobile phone?

Neil

My Father wanted a replacement for his Nokia - which gave up the ghost and ended up replacing it with another Nokia that (as a previous poster stated) is still available.  Make sure, of course, to get one that is open and not sim locked to a particular provider.

I would strongly advise you to avoid any of the "cheap" mobiles like Alcatel, Doro and so on, like the plague.

• RMweb Premium

I would strongly advise you to avoid any of the "cheap" mobiles like Alcatel, Doro and so on, like the plague.

I've had a basic Alcatel non-smart phone for 8 years now. it makes calls and receives texts (though I can't be ***sed with sending them). I need nothing else. They don't seem to make them any more though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

my current mobile is a mobiwire pictor, ive had it many months without serious issues, the only problem i have is that you cant change the alarm volume, it a little loud because it can wake up others in the house and not just me

although im in the demographic for fancy electronics, i couldnt care less, my current mobile is a pay as you go £10 from an EE shop, i only chose it because it was the first mobile shop i saw that day when i went to buy a new mobile, it has a camera and internet but ive never used them at all, if i want to take a photo, ive got a digital camera and if i want to go the internet, we've got a computer, i tend to use the radio and the calculator more than the calls and texts

Why not buy an alarm.

Not picking on you but this is a classic, we say we only want a phone, but find the other things it can do and use them. 

In the defence of 'Smartphones' I'll say this. To me they are a tool (not a lifestyle) and if you use them they can enhance your life. As an example I've just come back from watching WRC (Rally) in Spain, out on the dusty stages where I didn't want to get the camera out, I used the phone (4 year old iPhone 5) and on the PC the results are the same for both pictures and video. Even in remote parts of Spain we had 4G and were able to see the times and results as they happened rather than having to wait until the end of the day.  I was able to read RMweb in the evenings as well as email and use it as an alarm. I'm not a slave to it but it can be useful.

As a rail commuter, a smart phone has enhanced my journeys. I can download and watch NFL games, I can do most internet related things, listen to music, stream the radio, send & receive email (and delete spam), tell my other half that I'm going to be late because of a points failure... With an old 3310 all I could do is the last of those, in between staring out of the window at the same scenery every day, or just at darkness...

It's not great for reading books/ magazines because the screen's a bit small though.

Which is not to say it suits everyone of course. I would never choose to go back though.

• RMweb Gold

Never wanted a mobile....till I got one. Never wanted all the bells and whistles...till I got them. I was able to share live via facetime me going over the Forth Bridge on the footplate of a steam engine with my son in Australia on it, that was just one of some pretty special moments we've been able to share using the phone, makes the distance much more manageable for both of us.

• Like 5

Pagers?

A pub near me uses them to summon the serving staff when an order is ready to go.

Smart Phones?

Same pub has a QR code thingy that gives 25% off your bill, as long as some food is included on it. So that is breakfast in the morning and then 3/4 price beer all nigh. longt!

• RMweb Gold

Pagers?

A pub near me uses them to summon the serving staff when an order is ready to go.

Smart Phones?

Same pub has a QR code thingy that gives 25% off your bill, as long as some food is included on it. So that is breakfast in the morning and then 3/4 price beer all night. long!

I do like a balanced diet like that. Strongbow to start*, followed by a full English. Yum Yum!

* Other types of falley-downey fluid might be available, please check.

I suppose it's inevitable that this thread has turned into pro and anti mobiles, which I expect, is not what Neil had in mind.

Might be time to finish it as people have made all the relevant points?

steve

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear me! No battle here. I'm strongly in favour of mobile phones. As an on-site engineer, I need to be contactable. The phone, such as it is, fills those criteria admirably.

What I don't need, is the latest communication in XYZ format, with enough pretty colours, which quite frankly I don't need, cluttering up my pocket.

If my customer can't talk to me, I'm dead in the water, and that goes for anyone working on the self-employed spectrum.

Oh! And a camera. You'd be surprised how many arguments have been settled when that little fella captures evidence.

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

I was a very early mobile user, and my first mobile no started 0836, when there were only two choices - 0830 and 0836 - Cellnet or Vodaphone.  The kit included a car unit which was fixed to the dashboard, and had a large handset, a speaker under the driver seat, and a mic up which was up in the roof lining.  There was a box in the boot which housed the mobile handest which powered the whole thing, and also had a charger, which was pretty essential as the battery life was poor - about three hours.

That's just a memory. though, and just to illustrate how far we've come.

My Nokia died, and in investigation, I found very few - or no - viable alternatives for it now available, so I had to bite the smartphone bullet,  And then I was upsold onto a contract, but in all honesty, that was working out about the same per month as I was paying in top ups as I went for the cheapest option, regardless of what the salesman said. 

I now find that all I am using is the free calls, the occasional text, and almost no data, as I find the screen so difficult to read at that small size