Kings Cross? In a cakebox?

MikeTrice

I always get goose bumps when I first enter the two sheds and I absolutely love the recent renovations/remodelling. What is also facinating, if you know where to look, are the various remnants of earlier features still in place. Just to whet your appetite (only noticed these on a recent visit):

post-3717-0-57888400-1511546017_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Mike as a youngster I loved visiting London Termini, my favourites being Paddington, Kings Cross and Waterloo, though I guess Marylebone and St Pancras etc would have looked just as good in their heyday. There is a photo of Paddington (I think) platform 1 with all the different offices/shops along the wall which I guess was in the 30's, often thought would make a good model 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow however some progress is being made in between other commitments. The roof trusses are assembled and are just awaiting the rivet overlays and detailing parts. I have ordered some watch parts in the hope that I can make a double pounce wheel tool to do the double row of rivets.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of progress given the number of days between posts. I am still looking out for a cheap Del Prado HST but have picked up a Flying Scotsman:

post-3717-0-76320600-1514371187_thumb.jpg

It seemed reasonable that the Preserved Flying Scotman would visit Kings Cross at some point:

post-3717-0-33365000-1514371230_thumb.jpg

My biggest hurdle against lack of progress has been in how I am going to represent the brickwork. I seem to have four options:

1. Laser cut the various walls in MDF complete with brick courses and paint
  2. Scribe the styrene on the Silhouette and paint
  3. Use a brick paper
  4. Just paint the walls with no attempt at reproducing the bricks.

I don't feel laser cutting the walls would work. There are many examples of 4mm brick walls being reproduced that look brilliant but I have not seen any in 1:160. I suspect the morter courses would be too thick for the tiny brick sizes.

An attempt at scribing the morter courses on styrene was not really the effect I was looking for. It was not very neat and a small area took ages to scribe. I also think listening the the cutter thump, thump, thump, as it cuts the bricks would

drive me mad (you need to experience it to know what I mean by this).

Printed brick paper showed promise as the variation in brick colour and hint of the morter was just apparent. A quick test using a generated sheet from Paperbricks proved it to be viable and saved having to paint the walls.

Just painting the walls did not appeal.

So of the various options I am back with producing paper bricks so I have carried out some experiments with various morter colours and here is the result:

post-3717-0-52727700-1514371786_thumb.jpg

The panel with the hand written morter colour is the one I am going to go with although the lighting in the photo does not do it justice.

One thing I have learnt. The bricks are so small that it is almost impossible to see them in detail at normal magnification. The printed bricks give a good impression however 100% accuracy with the various brick positions and layouts will probably be over the top. This will simplify effort going forward.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I always get goose bumps when I first enter the two sheds and I absolutely love the recent renovations/remodelling. What is also facinating, if you know where to look, are the various remnants of earlier features still in place. Just to whet your appetite (only noticed these on a recent visit):

attachicon.gifIMG_3040.JPG

Hi,

Saw this and thought of Sir Alan - is this the door they leave by when they've been fired?

Regards,

Alex.

It's a brilliant idea, but please look at the 1930s colour images here before finally committing to a modern scene - they are sooo atmospheric. http://picssr.com/photos/swift-valley/interesting?nsid=36856551@N00

'Digpeter' thinks he's acquired copyright to a shedload of photographs that he definitely has 'borrowed' from elsewhere :nono: