Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

New RTR releases - is your purchase really necessary?

That varies. If a model sells well then prices hold up, but those models for which demand is lukewarm can be compelling bargains less than a year later. The tricky bit is deciding if the killer model that will 'make' your layout is in the former or latter category. 

That has certainly held true the last few years - but will it happen in future, especially with smaller production runs ?. I don't know, but the last few years around Christmas saw me buying several such bargains. A lot less around now, and apart from some books (some s/hand) I've bought no models for a few months - just a few needed spares / odds'n'sods.

Increasingly now I think hard about whether my purchases are really necessary, and rarely buy new releases, especially especially new releases at RRP.

Over saturated market ? - again - perhaps. If the new stuff sells well / quick then (most) everyone is a winner. Time will tell.

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That has certainly held true the last few years - but will it happen in future, especially with smaller production runs ?. I don't know, but the last few years around Christmas saw me buying several such bargains. A lot less around now, and apart from some books (some s/hand) I've bought no models for a few months - just a few needed spares / odds'n'sods.

Increasingly now I think hard about whether my purchases are really necessary, and rarely buy new releases, especially especially new releases at RRP.

Over saturated market ? - again - perhaps. If the new stuff sells well / quick then (most) everyone is a winner. Time will tell.

Brit15

I feel the same--I picked up some very decent bargains last Christmas but I am being much more focused now, only buying / preordering stuff that really fits with my modelling interests, and even though there are excellent tempting models being released at the mo, such as the Bulleid diesel and NRM Duchess, I am sitting tight, I have to exercise some restraint!

all the best,

Keith

• Like 1

"Trouble" with me is I have too much stuff - been collecting since 1959, (TT) and OO since 1971. My layout is fairly generic, set around north of Nottingham mid 60's, GC, GN & Midland lines so an easy excuse to run a vast variety of loco's etc. This is one reason I chose this area / time - also I'm a bit of a GC / GN / LNER fan !!

My last new release was a Bachmann "Stanier Crab" - because she was a local (Wigan) loco and I also have a small Wigan GC layout upon which she (prototypicaly) runs.

I like to run my old (non detailed) stuff from the 60's & 70's - both Hornby and Tri-ang. They (mostly)  still run well, and as mine is a loft layout super detail isn't really noticed, even when it is present on newer stuff. I'm basically an operator !!.

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd recommend that you start developing ideas about the layout you eventually want to build, era, approximate area, main line, branch line, freight only, industrial, etc.etc etc.

That way, you will develop a natural strategy towards the stock you are most likely to actually use when the time comes, rather than finding out that half of what you own won't really be useful.

John

I fear that I am past that point with too many locos and not much else.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

I find with RTR if you're on a budget there are several instances where you need to compromise. I'm building up my stock for my new layout, one train so far I know will be scratchbuilt. The other trains are being trialled for what's available in RTR form and how expensive the model is. I see what I like best than look at the price, and if it's alright, chances are I may buy it. Although I find this is becoming pretty rare as RTR is getting even more expensive. That's why I like scratchbuilding things, whether it's quite literally scratchbuilt or if it's modified from RTR stock. It also gives that satisfaction of 'I made that!' as well.

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean. One of my favourite model coaches is a free lance parcels van I made by "cutting and shutting" the brake halves of two mk1 corridor brake coaches. Not because it resembles any specific prototype but because I made it.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I once had a GWR Collett BG of this sort, a cut and shut of 2 Hornby Brake 3rds with a central and one of the guard's windows filled in with Milliput.  I painted it in BR lined maroon livery and branded it with 'EXPRESS PARCELS', and made up a running number for it.  It was completely fictitious of course, but looked something like a sort of Collett BG.  I ran it with a couple of Lima Siphon Gs as a newspaper train; not a correct bogie in the entire rake!

• Like 3

Help, for some reason I have an itch to buy something else Southern pre 1940.

My eyes are one some more Maunsell coaches or a third T9 but with a six wheel rather than 8 wheel watercart tender.

It seems i can't go a month without getting this urge to buy more, i was only meant to get a T9 off Dave Jones at Warley but then i found this Earl and a google search showed a couple allocated to the MSWR in the 30's so that got bought too.

At least I resisted the 71s , in fact I be done with blue or green box type things, I've enough of that for the purposes of a small electric branchline.

Apart from the itch the only things I want currently are a Collett Goods and a Steam Railmotor. 

I expect there will be something in form of an updated B set or an Autocoach announced in January and if not my current B set will see my first attempt at altering RTR as they only cost me a tenner for the two and they look the part still just needing Kadees, new wheels and perhaps some better bufffers.

• Like 1

I find with RTR if you're on a budget there are several instances where you need to compromise. I'm building up my stock for my new layout, one train so far I know will be scratchbuilt. The other trains are being trialled for what's available in RTR form and how expensive the model is. I see what I like best than look at the price, and if it's alright, chances are I may buy it. Although I find this is becoming pretty rare as RTR is getting even more expensive. That's why I like scratchbuilding things, whether it's quite literally scratchbuilt or if it's modified from RTR stock. It also gives that satisfaction of 'I made that!' as well.

Absolutely with you on that one! Rarely buy a new release these days, partly on account of price but in fairness there isn't a lot I need currently. Could always change in future of course! :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Help, for some reason I have an itch to buy something else Southern pre 1940.

My eyes are one some more Maunsell coaches or a third T9 but with a six wheel rather than 8 wheel watercart tender.

It seems i can't go a month without getting this urge to buy more, i was only meant to get a T9 off Dave Jones at Warley but then i found this Earl and a google search showed a couple allocated to the MSWR in the 30's so that got bought too.

At least I resisted the 71s , in fact I be done with blue or green box type things, I've enough of that for the purposes of a small electric branchline.

Apart from the itch the only things I want currently are a Collett Goods and a Steam Railmotor. 

I expect there will be something in form of an updated B set or an Autocoach announced in January and if not my current B set will see my first attempt at altering RTR as they only cost me a tenner for the two and they look the part still just needing Kadees, new wheels and perhaps some better bufffers.

I think you may be on to something with the B set, though it will only be a re-release of the old Airfix, but I doubt there is much chance of any new autotrailer unless Dapol downsize their O gauge Diagram N; the big manufacturers already have trailers to go with their auto fitted locos.

I have recently 'worked up' an old Airfix B set; new wheels, replacement of the windows with plain clear plastiglaze, and filling in the incorrect brake compartment window with Milliput, and a repaint into BR crimson livery.  The new windows show up the thickness of the body sides a bit, but dispense with the jam jar effect of the old ones; there is an overall improvement in the look of the set for not much work and I am very happy with them.  Good luck with yours!

• 2 weeks later...

Modelling, or rather collecting for the layout in my mind, late 30s SR, I often find myself impulse buying stuff because it's a fit and if I don't get it now, it will be unavailable in two years' time.

But, even then, I do have some engines that simply don't fit. Some will stay: my Bachmann Evening Star (because it's my favourite loco of all time), Pannier tanks (because they're Pannier tanks...!!), and the Hitachi class 395 (right region, but not even same century). Others will be sold on.

Should I cancel my order for the Ransome & Rapier 45T crane? Pity it's not the 36T, it would be a shoe-in.

• RMweb Premium

Modelling mainly 3mm/ft I have no incentive to buy things directly for the layout. But the stuff available commercially in 00 and N these days is so good I sometimes buy things for the hell of it. Usually but not always GWR. There is an indirect benefit; if I'm thinking of building a particular prototype then having a good model in another scale can be a help!

• 2 weeks later...

Should I cancel my order for the Ransome & Rapier 45T crane? Pity it's not the 36T, it would be a shoe-in.

Just heard from Hattons that their estimated price of ca. £95 has been revised, following Bachmann's confirmation, to £212.46. That's too expensive for a nice-to-have. 

• RMweb Gold

Just heard from Hattons that their estimated price of ca. £95 has been revised, following Bachmann's confirmation, to £212.46. That's too expensive for a nice-to-have. 

That is a big increase; admittedly the lower price was a Hatton's guesstimate and did not originate from Bachmann.  It is expensive for a nice-to-have, but the model will still bring Baccy a return, I'd guess; some modellers, especially mpd layout owners, will regard it as a must-have, and it is a wonderful shelf display model for those into that sort of thing.

Will there be a DCC operating version, and how much will that sell for?

There seems to be an almost never-ending flow of new RTR releases these days, most of them of high quality, and certainly much, much better than the more limited range of RTR models that were available when I was growing up in the 1960s and 1970s.

Like many of us, I've often been tempted by some of these new and recent models and have given in and got my credit card out.

Often this has been to buy models that I don't strictly need for my layouts, in that the models are not appropriate for a layout based on the Somerset & Dorset, the Midland in South Gloucestershire or, more recently, the GW in the Welsh borders. But I have perhaps been seduced by the pretty colours of the Edwardian pre-Grouping liveries, or the striking blue of the prototype Deltic, or even the 'Blue Pullman'.

Sometimes I've just bought stuff (even if in BR black) because I thought 'that's such a nice model' (like the Kernow 02).

But, having recently sold on a whole load of pristine, mint-condition, hardly-been-out-of-their-boxes RTR models, that I bought over quite a few years, but never got around to doing anything with, I've begun to wonder whether I couldn't have just got the pleasure of these models vicariously, from looking at them on the shelves of a model shop, or on-line places like RMWeb, or perhaps at an exhibition.

Do I really need to part with my cash and actually own one of them?

I speak as someone who doesn't normally have a layout set up at home to play with operate (no suitable space). I also don't really have the room (or the inclination, if I'm honest) for a glass-fronted display cabinet.

My layouts are all intended as exhibition layouts, so I wouldn't run any RTR model straight out of it's box anyway, it would need weathering and perhaps one or two details adding or tweaking, at the very least.

So what do I do with the new RTR items that I do buy?

I get them home, maybe have a look at them through the clear plastic window in their box (if I have the time or the inclination I might even take it out of it's box for a few minutes) and then I put them away in a cupboard or a drawer, waiting for that time when I might get them out again, in order to get them ready to go into 'exhibition stock' (running-in, weathering, detailing, crew being added etc.). And that's assuming that it's a model that is even remotely appropriate for my layouts.

And once I've got the model home, or sometimes even before that stage, I begin to wonder to myself - did I really need this model, was it really necessary to part with my cash, once the 'excitement of the purchase' is over?

Accepted, there are a few RTR locos that I will do something with and can argue a need for, pannier tanks for a start, and probably the Hornby Peckett, which has been my favourite RTR purchase for a long time.

But the rest? Do/did I really need them?

The answer is 'probably not', and it was this conclusion that led me to pass a load on for sale in recent times. I don't miss the NRM Prototype Deltic, although it was a really nice model, nor do I miss the BR black Midland Compound, which is really a bit too early for my period. Nor do I miss the Bachmann 'Evening Star', even though I could have justified that on 'Engine Wood', but it was so far down the queue for weathering (and did I really want to weather something 'collectable' like that?), that it was never realistically going to get used on the layout.

So why do some of us give in to the urge to buy stuff, when presented with the opportunity in a shop, at a show or on-line? Is it that the actual purchase gives us some kind of mental/psychological thrill, that wears off after a period of time?

If that's the case, then I can recommend 'proxy shopping', if you can find a friend who wants something, and who asks you go get it for them. That way, you get to experience the thrill of the purchase, and 'temporary custodianship' of the model, thus potentially 'enjoying it' for a while, before handing it over, shedding any responsibility for it, and getting your money back!

So now there's a whole raft of further releases that I have to agonise over. Hattons must know that I'm a sucker for cute little industrials.

And no, I really don't need a Hornby 'H' class in BR black, and I'm most definitely not going to get one. No, I'm not. Definitely not. Promise.

Hello, my name is Geoff and I'm a shopaholic. ^^This could be my story.^^

If I was to buy RTR I usually aim for discounted/pre-owned models, as they are cheaper (obviously!) and they may even have potential for a detailing project. For example I'd choose Hornby's Class 101 Over the Bachmann model as most of them are three car sets (unlike Bachmann's two car ones), they are (mostly) cheap, you can detail them to great extents and you get more for your money (I.e THREE CARRIAGES for £60.00!)

• RMweb Gold

If I need the model, then I'll buy it as long as I can cobble the cash together,  'Need', in my case, is defined as follows:-

1) is the item suitable for the time period and location, so

2) If it's a loco, was it or other members of it's class allocated to Tondu between 1948 and 1960 (I have estimated that Tondu would have required another 6 locos to run my imaginary branch, so can justify that number of non-Tondu locos being allocated under Rule 1)?

3) If it's not a loco, was it stock that ran in the area (similar Rule 1 justification in regard to actual numbers)?

4) If it's a freight vehicle, would it service the industries and goods depots i imagine to be on the branch?  This means no tank wagons, warwells, or carflats!

If a model, especially a loco, is available cheaply, I may push Rule 1 a little; for instance, I was recently tempted by the Hornby Railroad 14xx, cheap as chips, on a daily through working from Llantrisant, but the running problems put me off.  I stretched things a bit with my 2721, suitable Tondu until March 1950 but a pretty poor model; it was very cheap even with the improvements I've done to it and I put up with it's shortcomings.  

So, the current shopping list is, in no particular order, Bachmann 94xx if it ever appears, more Hornby and probably Oxford toads, a new B set, and another five minerals to build up a full train of empties (to balance my full train of fulls, you can't have an empty train of fulls), a Dapol large prairie to replace my ancient Airfix one, and any pre-A27 auto trailer or non-gangwayed GW compartment stock other than a B set, but especially Collet flat enders convertible to 1955 auto trailers!

Wishlisting, moi!

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure there is an answer to the desire for an attractive model or what it is that makes some models so desirable when you have never even seen the prototype. Like people there's just some combination that looks right to each of our brains ;)

So we can't resist liking them so how do you choose which from what fits your available budget? Limited runs means I have been guilty of buying for 'one day' and some come around again while others disappear altogether leaving me glad I did. I had a big clear out a couple of years ago but certain models I put back in the cupboard because they just set off the ideas in the ole head :)

So like CK I did clear out some barely used models, none unused though ;) and yes I could have spent the cash on something else. Overall though certain models lost value while others gained it quite spectacularly so on a rough calculation from the receipts I had made a modest amount even with inflation. So I didn't lose out, some models triggered ideas that I've gone on to build a layout for, others were fun to run but didn't get regularly used so I let them go. I've no way of telling which way my brain will go in future so I'm going to stick with this haphazard style.

As a kid I didn't like anything foreign until I was given a Lima bullet train, it set me off reading and ended up being responsible for Japanese, Chinese, US, Irish, Cuban, Indian, Swiss and German models passing through my hands. I've enjoyed them all and probably would have kept them and built even more layouts if space and money weren't finite ;)

So rtr models have introduced me to other cultures, history, helped make some great friends and fun. I think I'll continue to indulge in my harmless obsession and see where else it leads as it works for me :)

Right now time to order cake to go with this drink as it helps me think :)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

My main layout is Sunnisyde. Set in an imaginary Expanded Yorkshire incorporating part of Doggerland*. I can and do run LNER British Railways from 1948-1990, German, and French, locos and stock. I try to keep to an era, so don't mix Blue?Grey stock with LNER or Blood and Custard, but it's Rule One. My railway and I'll run what I like. All of the above has a kind of impossible possibility in it, but then what excuse do I have for running Japanese outline or North american outline stock?  Only that I liked the model so bought it and run it.

While most combinations of stock I run on the layout are correct for an era and I change road vehicles and the like to suit it. I see no problem with anything appearing. I even have some fictional locos for an even dafter running session. 

Why does all of this matter, well sadly it allows me to justify buying almost anything! 

* A bit of difficulty here as Doggerland was submerged under the North Sea approx 6000 yrs ago, 

• Like 2