Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

New RTR releases - is your purchase really necessary?

I judge my own efforts and would still much rather buy a very good model than try to make one myself.

I do N and G. In G I have made a few crude things from scratch. I like them because they are unique, look ok from garden viewing distances and also because I made them, even if they are crude.

• Like 2

I judge my own efforts and would still much rather buy a very good model than try to make one myself.

I do N and G. In G I have made a few crude things from scratch. I like them because they are unique, look ok from garden viewing distances and also because I made them, even if they are crude.

I'd suggest that judging your own efforts to the nth extream in comparison with RTR is being unnecessarily hard on yourself. No-one else is putting that pressure on you. The hobby is meant to be enjoyable.

I guess if you don't try because you'd rather buy you'll never know. And, of course, making things doesn't have to mean they will be crude. Check out Tony Wright's thread for some very nice home made and hand finished models.

Buying RTR is your, and many others, first choice. It's not right or wrong, I'm sure you are happy with it and that's fine. I just find it odd that so many in this hobby don't try modelling and/or give up quickly and choose RTR as their sole option. Having both options opens up more choice and pleasure for me.

G

Edited by grahame

I wouldn’t attempt to scratch build in N because I know I can’t work to the standards I require in that scale. A couple of repaints has shown me that. I also wouldn’t buy on old Farish loco because they are unacceptable to me in terms of detail and even looking like the real thing and I can’t see that they could be made to look half decent. I might buy a Union Mills loco one day but it will require quite a bit of work before being allowed on my N gauge layouts. Perhaps one of the great things about Union Mills locos is that you can work on one and be sure you will turn it a more realistic model than it was at the start.

I do scratch build in G and am happy enough with the results for garden running. My latest being some tourist coaches with one of the prime design parameters being that they should be relatively two year old proof.

post-12189-0-60397300-1520085679_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a bit since this thread saw activity.

But I thought I was just say thank you to the Captain for having begun this thread.

I've always known I had too much but I wasn't doing anything about it nor was I stopping my purchasing and having seen myself build a fleet of EMUs on my supposed 'Withered Arm' layout I finally accepted it was getting out of hand.

Not being satisfied with offers from Rails or Hattons, I got over my that fear all EBay buyers are out to screw me and put up my SR units and some N Gauge stuff for auction.

Nearly all the OO gauge has been sold at the price I wanted, some I profited with though that was not my objective, what's left will go so all good. The N gauge has been a bit hit and miss but I sold from the initial tranche learning that people want locos and coaches but are not so bothered about wagons and some Lyddle End is hard to shift but shift it I did.

What does it all mean, I've got cash in my pocket and have sold stock that was loved but no longer required, the feedback from buyers has all been positive and I've learnt that just like everything in the media fear based rhetoric proved unfounded.

What have I done with the cash, well so far I've nearly splashed out on three LMS S&D locos but didn't and then yesterday I found some 0 gauge wagons at Ellis Clark for around £15 a pop for decent quality items and began thinking of getting a Jinty to go with them. Luckily with this thread ringing still in my ears I then added in track, points, a baseboard and a controller with probably no change from £600 decided I should stick with 00 and N.

I think I've known for some time that enough was enough, I resisted the DJM class 71 in green with full yellow ends even when the price dropped below £100, the only 73 I wanted had to be pre tops and have some yellow on the front and I wasn't seeing them, in fact I was only prepared to pay for a railroad one rather than a full fat Dapol.

I have spent some cash, a couple of Maunsell cattle wagons, some more loco lifts and a rolling road. I think some Tim Horn baseboards might be in order at some point too.

So the good news is that at last I am satisfied with my loco fleet and my chosen era of pre/early war years Withered Arm, my stock fits the location with a little allowance on the GW side for small tender 260/440/060 locos. I didn't purchase a 14xx, I won't be buying a P class or Terriers.

Found out an RTR manufacturer wants to produce the very same train I want to scratchbuild, and coming to think of it I can see compromises everywhere already like intrusive chassis blocks, poor interior lights and potentially poor quality sound! It will be a challenge that I accept and will hopefully be successful.

I'm in the process of collecting locos for a model based on the ex Glasgow & South Western main line in 1960. This means I can run a wide variety of motive power as there is photographic evidence of Stanier and Gresley Pacifics, Royal Scots and Patriots, Jubilees, Black 5s, Britannias, Clans, Standard 5s, Standard 3 & 4 2-6-0s, Austerity 2-8-0 & 2-10-0s, Fowler 2Ps, and various ex Caledonian 0-6-0s. More than enough to keep anyone happy! Except I can't find a photo of a Standard 9F on this line in 1960? I really like 9Fs! Oh well, modellers licence it will have to be!

• Like 1

I wouldn’t attempt to scratch build in N because I know I can’t work to the standards I require in that scale. A couple of repaints has shown me that. I also wouldn’t buy on old Farish loco because they are unacceptable to me in terms of detail and even looking like the real thing and I can’t see that they could be made to look half decent. I might buy a Union Mills loco one day but it will require quite a bit of work before being allowed on my N gauge layouts. Perhaps one of the great things about Union Mills locos is that you can work on one and be sure you will turn it a more realistic model than it was at the start.

I do scratch build in G and am happy enough with the results for garden running. My latest being some tourist coaches with one of the prime design parameters being that they should be relatively two year old proof.

attachicon.gifD7EA84CB-C531-4C5B-BC7D-D1628BBDCCCC.jpeg

I agree. I kit build (and in only one case, scratch build) in 16mm, because the quality of the end result does not matter so much as it does in 4mm. For some reason, I can get away with a lot more in the larger scale than I can in the smaller one. Strange.

• RMweb Gold

In the past, I've said that If I like it, I'll probably buy it. There are 3 DJM austerities hanging about here, and when DJ release the MSC version, I'd like one of those. Likewise, the 14xx. When I get around, there's a Shapeways autotrailer I've promised myself, and it's next on the list.

Finally, the large prairie. Like a lot of us, I've advocated for the high quality, high fidelity model. So yes, very, mostly, probably on the list as well.

Cheers,

Ian.

Of course your purchase is necessary as if you do not purchase now you will regret if you fail to get one and then you will regret it later when they are not available!

However in years to come you will regret your stock of them when the new improved one appears!

Mark Saunders